Author Topic: Good Starting Place Considering What I shoot?  (Read 2262 times)

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
Re: Good Starting Place Considering What I shoot?
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2019, 05:39:32 PM »
Dan, I don't eat/drink while reloading, so the only "sticky stuff" around is when/if I sneeze and I try to point my face away from the bench when that happens.

To be honest, I've thought about computerizing my record book.  I took my old laptop to the new shed and may end up trying to set up and excel spreadsheet on it for record keeping purposes.

Right now I haven't done much else to it.  Got it all piled up right now.  Too darn hot to work out there.  Went out yesterday, to let the dogs out of the pen for a bit, around 5:30 PM.  The thermometer in the shed was sitting on 105 F.  Made the 96 F outside feel kind of nice after I got the doggy treats out of the jar and went back outside.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline Dan_69GTX

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2019, 08:17:07 PM »
Yea, hot!   Just NW of you and it was 97 outside.  74 in the reloading room.

Started playing with some blue bullets.   Looks like I’ll need to load them short.   Oh well
Some trust in chassis, Some in Horsepower, But we trust in the Lord our God.

If it goes "boom" or "vroom" I'm intersted.

Offline DWARREN

• Old & Tired
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2019, 02:25:58 AM »
I use Gallant bullets 125gr round nose and CFE Pistol for 9mm.
I like 4.5gr of CFE Pistol and a COAL of 1.125 inches.
I use previous fired brass and really like this combo for range ammo.
It is a little on the warm side, not +P+, but works well for me.
"1776" - Part II

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
  • Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2019, 09:45:42 AM »
So here's what got done yesterday.... I took all the prior powder tests that I could find and re-titled them "Load Testing -", so if you need our test data on BE86 (for instance), you can do a search on "Load Testing BE86" and it will pop right up.

I don't think you mentioned what powder you were looking at buying.
In God we trust; On 'Starting Load' we rely.

Offline CCW-Ohio

« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2019, 12:31:43 PM »
I picked up the Hodgdon HP-38 powder and the Winchester primers from your recommendation. Got them from my LGS.
[if you were asking me, Wobbly]

[It's your thread. So of course I'm asking you !]
« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 04:50:21 PM by Wobbly »

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
  • Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2019, 05:06:26 PM »
You got brass, and now powder. What you can do is start to work with your powder measure (PM). You may think that you "set it and forget it", but there's a lot to using a PM and you need to start perfecting your operating technique.

Fill the PM hopper about 1/3 - 1/2 full. Set the adjustment so you're getting about 4.0gr. Then continue to drop powder and you'll weigh each of the drops. You can enter those in Excel and then plot the output over 25 or so drops. I want you to understand when the greatest variations occur. And understand how your technique affects consistency.

You can't leave powder in the hopper over night, so you may need a funnel to get it back in the can. I also want you to check and see if static is making powder cling to the insides of your PM. One of the things Lee PM owners do is wipe the PM down with those static-free dryer sheets.

If your PM is sticky or rough in operation, you can dribble some powdered graphite into the hopper. The black coating on the HP38 is powdered graphite, so it's compatible. Look in the key & lock section of your hardware store for graphite.

I can see several hours of practice just with the PM before you'll be ready to load anything.

Go for it !!
 ;)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 05:13:58 PM by Wobbly »
In God we trust; On 'Starting Load' we rely.

Offline CCW-Ohio

« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2019, 10:02:17 AM »
Taking steps to begin operation "Go For It" this week. The research, selecting, and shopping is fun. Now it is rubber meets the road time. The next step is mounting the press to the bench in a temporary, but stable way (After cleaning and organizing the work area!!).

You all have been great. Will update after I de-prime my first batch of brass. I had already started sorting by headstamp. Have yet to run a magnet through it. Wobbly's pics of brass-appearing steel cases was eye-opening.