Author Topic: 527 MTR 6.5 GRENDEL  (Read 1200 times)

Offline heisman01

527 MTR 6.5 GRENDEL
« on: October 04, 2019, 09:36:14 AM »
Anyone have a 6.5 gren mtr? or other 6.5 gren 527.

Just curious how the wolf/other steel case ammo does.

Torn between the 300 blk and a 6.5 grendel (new caliber for me)

Just going to use as a bench gun and maybe hunting, would be wearing a can either way.

Offline aasbra

527 MTR 6.5 GRENDEL
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2019, 09:23:00 PM »
I have both a 527 suppressor ready 300 Blackout and a 527 Varmint in 6.5 Grendel.  I haven’t had a chance to fire the Grendel yet, but the blackout is fun to shoot with subsonic loads with a suppressor.  I have mostly fired subs through the blackout, as that is what I got it for.  The Varmint is pretty long, even before mounting a suppressor.  The blackout is a much handier length for packing around.  What game and what distance will you be hunting?  What distance at the range will you be shooting?  Are you hoping for fairly quiet (subsonic) with the suppressor?  Considering these questions would help make the best choice I would think.

Offline jkingrph

Re: 527 MTR 6.5 GRENDEL
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2019, 01:33:49 PM »
I have one of the earlier 527's in 6.5 Grendel. A walnut stock model, could not stand the distressed finish beech, with the 24" pencil barrel.  The only times i have been able to shoot it was in extremely hot weather, with sweat running into my eyes, not conducive to shooting good groups.   I was getting 1 1/4 - 1 1/2 inch groups with Wolf 123 gr at 100 yards.  The ammo i have is brass case.   While a nice sporting rifle, lightweight for carrying, it heats up rather quickly with the thin barrel.  I doubt if there is enough metal there for a suppressor unless the threads are very fine.

Offline heisman01

Re: 527 MTR 6.5 GRENDEL
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2019, 03:20:13 PM »
I have both a 527 suppressor ready 300 Blackout and a 527 Varmint in 6.5 Grendel.  I haven’t had a chance to fire the Grendel yet, but the blackout is fun to shoot with subsonic loads with a suppressor.  I have mostly fired subs through the blackout, as that is what I got it for.  The Varmint is pretty long, even before mounting a suppressor.  The blackout is a much handier length for packing around.  What game and what distance will you be hunting?  What distance at the range will you be shooting?  Are you hoping for fairly quiet (subsonic) with the suppressor?  Considering these questions would help make the best choice I would think.

If I hunt I would be shooting at a 100 yard max, I would also more than likely take my ar10 in 6.5 CM or if I build a 300blk 527 with supers.

Target shooting would be out to 700 on a regular basis.

I like the MTR due to the ticker barrel which besides the cool stock is the other reason I really like it.