Author Topic: Difficult Firing Retention Pin removal  (Read 527 times)

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
Re: Difficult Firing Retention Pin removal
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2019, 03:25:04 PM »
I bought that same brand "Grace" set awhile back and used one of them to drive out a gas tube roll pin in the gas block of the AR15 I'm building.  I wanted to check/retorque the barrel nut and had to remove the tube to do that. 

It worked like a charm.  Started with the short nosed punch and got the pin moving and partly out and then grabbed the long skinny shaft punch and it tapped right out easily.
I stopped carrying the SIG 556R.  SIG changed models and couple/three times and stopped supporting it with parts.  So, I stopped supporting SIG.  Back to the tried/true AR15 Carbine.

Offline M1A4ME

« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2019, 03:28:09 PM »
You know, for years I used a small tack hammer for gun work.  There was a CZ pistol or two where I was just beating the heck out of the punch and my fingers trying to get a pin moving out with that little/light hammer.

Someone here mentioned they used a bigger hammer for some jobs as a big hammer hits harder even with a short stroke.

So I bought a bigger hammer with a short handle. 

Not only does it "hit harder" it's easier to keep the hammer on the punch (larger surface area on the face of the hammer) and easier to keep the punch straight (larger flat area on the face of the hammer).  The small hammer is still in the tool box but I find myself grabbing the bigger hammer quite often.
I stopped carrying the SIG 556R.  SIG changed models and couple/three times and stopped supporting it with parts.  So, I stopped supporting SIG.  Back to the tried/true AR15 Carbine.

Online jurek

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2019, 08:54:55 PM »
Maybe my question sounds stupid... but are you taking slide off from the frame before removing pin?  ??? :-X
And like M1A4ME mentioned, bigger hammer may help.

Offline Love Me Daddy

« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2019, 05:07:07 PM »
Maybe my question sounds stupid... but are you taking slide off from the frame before removing pin?  ??? :-X
And like M1A4ME mentioned, bigger hammer may help.
Yes I take off the slide and remove the recoil spring as well as the barrel

I've been using a normal sized claw hammer (roughly 12 inches in length)

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

Online jurek

« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2019, 07:45:20 PM »
I've been using a normal sized claw hammer (roughly 12 inches in length)

Try this one:

Also try from both sides... however I removed my pin according to YouTube videos: from left to right.

Offline coolbox

« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2019, 03:47:13 AM »
You could use a starter punch to drive it out initially. Then use the roll pin punch to drive out all the way.
Hammer on the right side of slide (when looking from the rear of the gun), the breech/ejection port side.
Life is too short to waste on a bad trigger pull

Offline M1A4ME

« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2019, 08:00:47 AM »
Some of the forum members have posted pictures of badly damaged pin they removed from their slides.  Sometimes in pieces.  But they still came out.

What I mean is, dents, bends, etc. in the pin due to impacts from the firing pin on the roll pin shouldn't keep it from moving.  It might make is harder to keep moving after the damaged area moves far enough to the side that it makes contact with the hole edges on the inside of the slide, but it shouldn't keep it from starting to move.

Unless, and I don't know if this can happen, or not, if the firing pin had already starting "cutting into" the back of the roll pin, could the firing pin be acting as a lock/catch to keep the retaining pin from moving?

OP, can you see through the roll pin one side to the other?  If you can then the firing pin should not have damaged the roll pin as I described (wondered?)  If you see a nice bright, round hole when you hold the slide up and look through the pin then the pin should still be in good shape.

Weird things happen, sometimes.

Offline Love Me Daddy

« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2019, 02:15:16 AM »
Some of the forum members have posted pictures of badly damaged pin they removed from their slides.  Sometimes in pieces.  But they still came out.

What I mean is, dents, bends, etc. in the pin due to impacts from the firing pin on the roll pin shouldn't keep it from moving.  It might make is harder to keep moving after the damaged area moves far enough to the side that it makes contact with the hole edges on the inside of the slide, but it shouldn't keep it from starting to move.

Unless, and I don't know if this can happen, or not, if the firing pin had already starting "cutting into" the back of the roll pin, could the firing pin be acting as a lock/catch to keep the retaining pin from moving?

OP, can you see through the roll pin one side to the other?  If you can then the firing pin should not have damaged the roll pin as I described (wondered?)  If you see a nice bright, round hole when you hold the slide up and look through the pin then the pin should still be in good shape.

Weird things happen, sometimes.

I actually did do this! My SP-01 is practically brand new, I got it back in September and I've put maybe 300 rounds through it so far. I've kept dry firing to an absolute minimum as well. I looked through the roll pin and can definitely see through it. I took a magnifying glass to see it in closer detail and the inside walls of the roll pin are still completely intact.

Honestly I might just leave the factory pin in there and forget about it. Pretty much as long as I don't dry fire I don't think I will have to worry about the firing pin breaking the roll pin. I asked my relative if he ever worries about breaking that part on his SP-01 and he just tells me "If it ain't broke don't fix it"

Offline M1A4ME

« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2019, 07:59:28 AM »
Man, that's tough.  Some people get years and thousands of rounds through their pistols with no issues.  I can't imagine why that pin won't move.  I've never had problems getting one out (never broke on, just changed them to the CGW pins to make me feel better - replaced the trigger return springs for the same reason, just to make me feel better about them.)