Author Topic: “No gun” signs carry legal weight in my state; what to do?  (Read 841 times)

Offline cousinmark

Re: “No gun” signs carry legal weight in my state; what to do?
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2019, 09:07:27 AM »
I'm a GA resident and travel a lot for work, primarily in the south east. It's a rarity to see a GFZ sign anywhere down here. I know several large retail outlets have adopted policies but implementing them is still sort of up in the air? Having grown up in NY I'm well aware that things are different from state to state. Bottom line is you need to be aware of local laws and abide by them. If you wind up in front of a judge chances are things will boil down to his/her Honor's political leanings. In the north east I don't like your odds :-)

Offline Skookum

• Truth is the new hate speech.
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2019, 03:13:46 AM »
Give serious consideration to moving to a freer state.

Public accommodations that prohibit lawful carry are violating your civil rights.  If Woolworth can't restrict who sits at their lunch counters on the basis of race, then they shouldn't be able to prohibit carry in their public establishments.  The store manager can choose to associate with whom he wants at his home, and can ban his guests from carrying on his property, but under existing constitutional principles he can't discriminate at work against patrons due to race or lawful armament.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 03:20:45 AM by Skookum »
Skookum
Browning Challenger III, .22 Long Rifle, Glossy Blue
CZ 83, 9 Browning Court, Satin Nickel
CZ 75 Compact, 9 Luger, Dual Tone
CZ 82, 9 Makarov, Czechoslovak Peoples' Army Black
CZ 83, 7.65 Browning, Glossy Blue
Beretta 3032 Tomcat, .32 Auto, Inox

Offline Philipl

« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2019, 06:38:57 AM »

I completely agree with this but I have yet to find a doctors office or hospital that allows carry on the premises so unfortunately allowances have to be made. I have turned around and walked away from many restaurants however.
[/quote]

I am a physician and we allow carry at my office. indeed it is not uncommon for a patient to show me their new pistol.

Offline MuzzleBlastMD

« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2019, 12:13:02 AM »
In our state, it is considered trespassing and you’re asked to leave.  It’s an open carry state.

However, concealed means concealed.

If you’re minding your business and not acting like you’re trying to do something to draw attention to yourself, then I don’t see an issue.  In downtown areas, I choose to carry discretely, even where there’s some sign that you can barely see. 

It’s not a safe world.  I’d rather have it and not need it.

Obviously, I adhere to federal restrictions such as schools, airports, police stations, court house, fed buildings, etc etc.

But a movie theatre or mall, sorry but I’m not going to be a helpless sheep.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Offline Insert

« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2019, 01:25:26 AM »
Yeah I definitely agree. I think I was over reacting a tad bit when I made this thread. I so far have only noticed one store in particular in my area that prohibits and I now check for signs everywhere. Not as common as I initially feared but I still will follow (unless the place is sketchy and I'm in a situation where I have no choice but to enter, yada yada...). I just felt taken aback by how stupidly strict this law is on principal however. Like a felony, really? lol