Author Topic: “No gun” signs carry legal weight in my state; what to do?  (Read 5703 times)

Offline Skookum

• Truth is the new hate speech.
Re: “No gun” signs carry legal weight in my state; what to do?
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2019, 03:13:46 AM »
Give serious consideration to moving to a freer state.

Public accommodations that prohibit lawful carry are violating your civil rights.  If Woolworth can't restrict who sits at their lunch counters on the basis of race, then they shouldn't be able to prohibit carry in their public establishments.  The store manager can choose to associate with whom he wants at his home, and can ban his guests from carrying on his property, but under existing constitutional principles he can't discriminate at work against patrons due to race or lawful armament.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 03:20:45 AM by Skookum »
Skookum
Browning Challenger III, .22 Long Rifle, Glossy Blue
CZ 83, 9 Browning Court, Satin Nickel
CZ 75 Compact, 9 Luger, Dual Tone — Satin Nickel/Matte Blue
CZ 82, 9 Makarov, Czechoslovak People's Army Black
CZ 83, 7.65 Browning, Glossy Blue
Beretta 3032 Tomcat, .32 Auto, Inox

Offline Philipl

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2019, 06:38:57 AM »

I completely agree with this but I have yet to find a doctors office or hospital that allows carry on the premises so unfortunately allowances have to be made. I have turned around and walked away from many restaurants however.
[/quote]

I am a physician and we allow carry at my office. indeed it is not uncommon for a patient to show me their new pistol.

Offline MuzzleBlastMD

« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2019, 12:13:02 AM »
In our state, it is considered trespassing and you’re asked to leave.  It’s an open carry state.

However, concealed means concealed.

If you’re minding your business and not acting like you’re trying to do something to draw attention to yourself, then I don’t see an issue.  In downtown areas, I choose to carry discretely, even where there’s some sign that you can barely see. 

It’s not a safe world.  I’d rather have it and not need it.

Obviously, I adhere to federal restrictions such as schools, airports, police stations, court house, fed buildings, etc etc.

But a movie theatre or mall, sorry but I’m not going to be a helpless sheep.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Offline Insert

« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2019, 01:25:26 AM »
Yeah I definitely agree. I think I was over reacting a tad bit when I made this thread. I so far have only noticed one store in particular in my area that prohibits and I now check for signs everywhere. Not as common as I initially feared but I still will follow (unless the place is sketchy and I'm in a situation where I have no choice but to enter, yada yada...). I just felt taken aback by how stupidly strict this law is on principal however. Like a felony, really? lol

Offline spt_1955

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2020, 11:15:44 PM »
I recently attended a class at the club I belong to and a retired DA spoke about PA laws regarding such signs. They are legal to post but have no legal authority. If the owner of the establishment asks you to leave their place of business and you refuse you could be charged with trespassing.
THis is EXACTLY how the law works in MA.  The property owner can post the "no guns allowed" and if you are found in possession and refuse to leave you an be found guilty of trespassing.  If you leave then you are not guilty of anything.

Offline Mercs

“No gun” signs carry legal weight in my state; what to do?
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2020, 11:18:48 PM »
Pretty soon that sign will carry legal weight for the owner, when they are legally liable for the safety of everyone inside

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline larry8061

« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2020, 05:02:14 PM »
If I conceal and they don't have metal detectors, they will never know. I love to break mental laws O0

So, you are suggesting to another member to ignore a legal sign that if caught, will have him forfeit his right to even own a gun?

I do not concur.  He lives in Connecticut and they are serious about not having guns around .... anywhere, anytime.

Larry

Offline larry8061

« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2020, 05:07:45 PM »
I recently attended a class at the club I belong to and a retired DA spoke about PA laws regarding such signs. They are legal to post but have no legal authority. If the owner of the establishment asks you to leave their place of business and you refuse you could be charged with trespassing.

Texas, Pennsylvania IT DOES NOT MATTER! He lives in Connecticut where THEY DO NOT WANT THINGS THAT GO BANG - PERIOD.
The snarky thing to suggest is move back into the U.S. Bottom line is you are screwed and getting enough votes to change things enough to get that repealed are either: it isn't going to happen or it REALLY isn't going to happen. Your fellow citizens are committed to: no things going bang!

Larry

Offline larry8061

« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2020, 05:11:33 PM »

See, that I’m fine with since I would probably never refuse to leave so therefore the potential consequence is very low. But if I’m charged with a felony straight up if I’m caught printing or whatever, then that makes me incredibly nervous about where I go when carrying. The problem is that it not only makes it a logistic nightmare to vet every store but it also adds complication to carry in general. Sometimes I’m not always the one driving or going back to the car isn’t really feasible. I’m probably going to consult a lawyer or someone knowledgeable locally since it seems every state that has this provision has all sorts of weird provisions about it. What a great and totally not confusing system we ha be to live with! I’m so glad I bothered to get my permit!
You're over complicating this, it isn't really that difficult. Once you actually start carrying you learn the ropes pretty quickly. You should be avoiding gun free zones and soft targets in general anyway. Concealed carry done correctly is about state of mind, awareness,  and readiness. It's not a casual choice.

again there is a big "IF" attached to that and that if is: you live in the United States. N.England is no longer part of the U.S. They shredded the constitution years ago. Yes, if he is caught in CONNECTICUT with a gun on the wrong side of a no-gun sign, off to jail he is going to go.

Offline larry8061

« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2020, 05:13:11 PM »

See, that I’m fine with since I would probably never refuse to leave so therefore the potential consequence is very low. But if I’m charged with a felony straight up if I’m caught printing or whatever, then that makes me incredibly nervous about where I go when carrying. The problem is that it not only makes it a logistic nightmare to vet every store but it also adds complication to carry in general. Sometimes I’m not always the one driving or going back to the car isn’t really feasible. I’m probably going to consult a lawyer or someone knowledgeable locally since it seems every state that has this provision has all sorts of weird provisions about it. What a great and totally not confusing system we ha be to live with! I’m so glad I bothered to get my permit!
You're over complicating this, it isn't really that difficult. Once you actually start carrying you learn the ropes pretty quickly. You should be avoiding gun free zones and soft targets in general anyway. Concealed carry done correctly is about state of mind, awareness,  and readiness. It's not a casual choice.

I am well aware of gun free zones (ie schools and federal buildings) and while I don't agree with them at all, at least it's pretty cut and dry. As for a "casual choice", I feel as though I am advocating the opposite! I want to carry about as 100% as possible (minus the specific GFZ areas) and now the fact that I actually have to obey some dumb stores "no gun" sign (which I can't even find if there's a mandated sign so I guess they can post any kind of sign and I'd have to follow it lol) is pretty disheartening. Like as of now, I only know of one place where I get gas that has said sign but I have to be ready to disarm myself at any given storefront or property or risk receiving a felony; aka F-ing my whole life up. As for avoiding these signs, I think that's way easier said than done; like I sometimes have to go places in life where I don't have a choice. I could be over thinking this but finding this out really scared me. It's funny that I am more scared of not violating some stupid, unclear state law than any actual deadly threat lol.

YEP!

Offline Rotorflyr66

« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2020, 01:10:45 AM »
In Ohio a business may post a no guns allowed sign and you are REQUIRED to heed the sign. It is a misdemeanor citation in most places if you are caught in violation. Government properties such as court houses and police stations are another matter.

OH used to be a felony charge for violation of the NG signs....did something change?

Offline Nomadmax

« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2020, 04:49:10 AM »
My rules of survival trump every other rule in the land.  A lawyer can mitigate for me if need be; on the other hand, dead can't be corrected.

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2020, 04:55:16 AM »
In Ohio a business may post a no guns allowed sign and you are REQUIRED to heed the sign. It is a misdemeanor citation in most places if you are caught in violation. Government properties such as court houses and police stations are another matter.

OH used to be a felony charge for violation of the NG signs....did something change?

Yeah alot changed when they started issuing concealed carry licenses. Penalties can vary depending on the situation such as where you are, whether you are sober or not, and so on. Originally we were not permitted to carry in bars but that changed as long as the armed person is not consuming adult beverages and so long as the establishment hasn't posted against it. Laws regarding carry and transportation in a motor vehicle changed for those holding a handgun permit but if you are not licensed you must heed the previous laws regarding transportation and so on. You can easily look up the ORC. and read all about it or better yet consult an attorney for clarification.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 05:07:49 AM by SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM »

Offline PappaWheelie

• "This is war, and in war, time is of the essence."
    • The Children's Bread
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2020, 09:44:47 PM »
Public accommodations that prohibit lawful carry are violating your civil rights.  If Woolworth can't restrict who sits at their lunch counters on the basis of race, then they shouldn't be able to prohibit carry in their public establishments.  The store manager can choose to associate with whom he wants at his home, and can ban his guests from carrying on his property, but under existing constitutional principles he can't discriminate at work against patrons due to race or lawful armament.
I agree, and also with CzechLands' (Reply #7), but not to the extent of invoking Romans 14.13 in terms of personal relations/interactions/public image of all Patriots. https://biblehub.com/romans/14-13.htm
https://czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=108824.msg844775#msg844775
Laches: use it or lose it. If no one stands for our Constitutionally-protected God-given rights, these rights will be gradually forfeited. Some situations call for taking a public stand, others call for grateful reliance on Psalm 91.11.
https://biblehub.com/psalms/91-11.htm  https://biblehub.com/romans/8-14.htm
Member, Gun Owners of America
CC: CZ 2075 RAMI BD in PappaWheelie Invisible 15 Round RAMI Holster
Homeboy: CZ 97 BD, Underwood 45 Super 120 Grain Xtreme Defender ammo
UBG: CZ 75 SP-01 Tactical Urban Grey Suppressor-ready
-all w/ CGW Short Reset Kit/1485-T2 Disco, 5 "Thick" Trigger, polished SA tooth

anything