Author Topic: Walmarts bullet policy  (Read 2303 times)

Offline gunlover24

Walmarts bullet policy
« on: January 12, 2007, 08:53:01 PM »
Hi i was just wanting info from you guys my younger brother just turned 19 and bought a beretta cx4 carbine in .45 auto he went to the local walmart today to purchase bullets for it and they refused to sell him the bullets. the woman working in sporting goods told him that the dont make a .45 acp rifle. what gives?

Offline gunlover24

Walmarts bullet policy
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2007, 09:08:48 PM »
by the way i went to walmart and tried to purchase the bullets for him and the girl at the counter refused to sell them to me because he was with me. I asked to speak to the manager and he stated that they are unable to sell any bullets that will shoot in a hand gun to anyone under 21. This would mean that he cant buy any bullets at all.

Offline Japle

Walmarts bullet policy
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2007, 09:44:22 AM »
Might be state law.  

John

Offline ReloaderFred

Walmarts bullet policy
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2007, 12:26:34 PM »
They are prohibited from selling handgun ammunition to anyone under the age of 21 by 18 USC & 922(b)(1).  It has nothing to do with store policy at all, or even state law.  It's a Federal Law and has been for many, many years.

Here is a partial quote: Federal law prohibits Federal Firearms licensees from selling or delivering "....any firearm or ammunition to any individual who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less than eighteen years of age, and if the firearm is other than a shotgun or rifle, or ammunition for a shotgun or rifle, to any individual who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less than twenty-one years of age."

"Ammunition interchangeable between rifles and handguns (such as .22 caliber rimfire) may be sold to an individual 18 years of age or older, but less than 21, if the licensee is satisfied that the ammunition is being acquired for use in a rifle."

These quotes are from BATF&E's STATE LAWS AND PUBLISHED ORDINANCES-FIREARMS, 25th Edition.  

It's obvious that the clerk and manager were choosing to err on the side of caution, since there aren't that many .45 caliber rifles.  There are a few that I can think of, but the average person wouldn't be aware of them.

My suggestion is for you to go alone and buy the ammunition and give it to your brother, which is perfectly legal, since it's going to be used in a rifle.  It wouldn't be prudent to take the rifle inside a Wal-Mart store to prove it's existance, so this would be the easy way to circumvent their store policy.  You can't really blame them for trying to protect their license, and if they really don't know, then they took the proper action in this case.

Hope this helps.

Fred
After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs

Offline gunlover24

Walmarts bullet policy
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2007, 02:35:34 PM »
Thanks Fred and yea i understand that but it was the way they handled it that ticked me off the girl who works in sporting good called me a liar and when i went back there with a magazine article on a 45 rifle she said she would never sell me bullets again stating that she knew i could be buying them for him. All and all it just gives me another reason to support local gun dealers and stay out of that place.

Offline ReloaderFred

Walmarts bullet policy
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2007, 03:10:50 PM »
Yes, there is always the "personality factor" to consider.   She should have stuck with the law, and not taken it personally when you questioned her about the sale, or refusal to sell.  You have to remember that you're not dealing with rocket scientists at the counter of the local Wal-Mart, especially in sporting goods.  They very seldom have knowledgable people working those areas, and if they do have a little knowledge, it's going to be in the area of fishing or golf.

I've run into attitudes in gun stores, too.  You have to get by the personalities of the clerks and get what you want and get out.  That's one of the reasons internet sales have been so successful.  You don't have to deal with the people, just find what you want and hit "enter" and the UPS guy delivers it in about a week.  His attitude is much better than most clerks, anyway.

Fred
After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs

Xenogy

Walmarts bullet policy
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2007, 03:46:34 PM »
My local Walmarts ask if the ammo will be used for a pistol or rifle and check IDs accordingly. It actually tells them to ask that question on the register when they ring up the ammo. I assume when they enter your answer it gives them the minimum age for that purchase.

anything