Author Topic: New Project  (Read 1501 times)

Offline mrcabinet

New Project
« on: October 29, 2019, 07:41:42 PM »
I stopped in my local gun and pawn today to see if he had a blue Beretta case stashed in the back for an 84 I picked up a while back. He didn't have one, but I did walk out with this 1984 TZ75. Great on the inside, but the outside needs a lot of love (the price definitely reflected that). When I have the time it will get a nice bath in Evap-O-Rust, sanded, rust blued and new springs. I have a chunk of spalted maple that would make some nice grips for it.

Her she is in all her glory. If all goes well, I'll post the "after" pics in a couple months.

No matter where you're going, there you are.

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
Re: New Project
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2019, 07:52:43 PM »
Looks like a nice Project Pistol!  8)  Congratulations!  :)
Looking forward to seeing the completed project!

As for the reblue, do know that Tanfoglio Pistols of this era had a fairly high Nickel Content in their Steel, so you may have to adjust your Blueing Formula accordingly.
"Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Offline mrcabinet

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2019, 09:38:36 PM »
jwc007 - Yes sir, I'm already exploring options on that bluing.

On another note, I've read an awful lot about magazines and spring options for the early TZs, to the point that it's all run together. Since you're the resident expert on these, can you tell me definitively what Mec Gar mags I need to order and what model springs will fit?

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2019, 07:28:38 PM »
On another note, I've read an awful lot about magazines and spring options for the early TZs, to the point that it's all run together. Since you're the resident expert on these, can you tell me definitively what Mec Gar mags I need to order and what model springs will fit?

Tall order, there!   ;D

Magazines on the older Tanfoglio Pistols are quite challenging to find and usually expensive when found.
Mec-Gar occasionally makes runs of the pre-series 88 Tanfoglio and pre-B Cz75 Magazines, #MGGT2116B, but I've not seen any in quite awhile.
Elander made a Cz75 Magazine that would work in both pre-B and Cz75B Pistols as well as pre-series 88 Tanfoglio Pistols, but those also seem to be gone.
Back when I had a pre-series 88 Tz75, I used Israeli/IMI made pre-B Cz75 Magazines in it, and if you could find any pre-B Cz75 Magazines, those would be a very good choice.
Another Alternative would be to slightly modify your Tz75's Frame to accept Cz75B Magazines, as shown here: https://czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=39056.0

For Springs, try Wolff Gunsprings:  https://www.gunsprings.com/CZ/75%20Series/cID1/mID16/dID91
For Springs Wolff does not have, you will probably have to resort to using Cz75 Springs from Cz-USA.
You could also ask EAA if they still have any Springs for the older Tanfoglio Pistols left.

Good Luck with your Project!  :)

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Offline mrcabinet

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2019, 08:58:57 PM »
Thanks for the link! Since I'll have the frame stripped down I'll give that a try.

Offline mrcabinet

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2019, 06:12:08 PM »
I've been stressing over which mag to order for this - preferably one that wouldn't involve filing the frame. It seems like it's a crap shoot as to what will or won't fit in these pre-88 models. Just for grins, today I grabbed the 16 round mag with an extended base plate that I use in my CZ-75 compact. With a standard base plate on it the mag slid right in, locked in place and dropped free when the release was pushed. I only really want 1 extra mag for this TZ, so I'll commit this one to the TZ and order a Mec Gar 16 for the CZ. Issue solved!

Offline Apex

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2019, 02:39:31 AM »
Nice looking pistol 😎

Offline mrcabinet

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2019, 09:58:57 PM »
I finally got the old girl out to the range Thanksgiving weekend. It is one sweet shooter - except for the short throat!. Sent the barrel off to Patriot to get reamed and got it back today, along with one of their trigger springs. All the other springs are on order from Wollf. I have the slide stripped naked and hopefully the frame will be the same soon. Then it will get a nice soak in Evap-o Rust!

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2019, 02:40:13 PM »
It is one sweet shooter - except for the short throat!. Sent the barrel off to Patriot to get reamed and got it back today, along with one of their trigger springs.

The short barrel throat is characteristic of Cz's and most Cz Clones, particularly Tanfoglio and Tanfoglio based Pistols.
It's never been a problem for myself and I believe it contributes to the excellent accuracy found in the design.
When I reload, I use a Tanfoglio barrel for my plunk tests to make sure that the bullet shank is not into the throat.
Generally, I've found 0.05 inch of Bullet shank past the case mouth to be optimum.

The only Factory Ammunition that's ever given me a problem with the short throat has been the 147 grain Remington Gold Sabre.

Offline mrcabinet

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2019, 01:47:31 PM »
I learned the CZ short leade lesson a few years back when I picked up a surplus 75D compact. At the time I was using some rather chubby 125 grn. bullets, and I would have had to load them much shorter than I was comfortable with. So off the barrel went to Patriot, and I've done the same with any other short throat barrels I've gotten. I'm not a fan of having one barrel dictate how I load for all the rest, and accuracy does not seem to have suffered one bit.

anything