Author Topic: Barrel Pressure (aka suppressor swapping)  (Read 511 times)

Offline TITAN308

Barrel Pressure (aka suppressor swapping)
« on: November 11, 2019, 09:36:00 PM »
So I have a Gemtech MK-9K suppressor rated for full-auto 9mm. Out of curiosity I tried to actually find the detailed specs/ratings for this can on the internet with zero luck.

My other alternative would be to compare pressure ratings between the 9mm and various other calibers (obviously, nothing larger than 9mm diameter) to try and guesstimate its capability. We all know that it is never recommended to fire something other the stamped caliber, but we also know some cans are over built. I messaged the manufacturer, but I'm doubtful they are going to divulge what "full auto 9mm rated" means in respect to actual numbers.

My hang up is chamber pressure vs pressure once it actually reaches the suppresor (aka barrel pressure?)

I also know, as a general rule of thumb, running any caliber smaller in size than 9mm through a 9mm can is fine as long as its sub-sonic (example: 300 blackout).

Ironically, Gemtech actually did some research on barrels and various pressure readings: https://ndiastorage.blob.core.usgovcloudapi.net/ndia/2010/armament/WednesdayCumberlandPhilipDater.pdf

The research study actually goes as far as to measure barrel entrance pressure and the pressure there after.

I guess I wish manufacturers were just more transparent on paper with their rating numbers.

This post is just me ranting I suppose. I'm just trying to figure out if this "fully auto 9mm rated" is actually so over built as to handle super-sonic rifle rounds (to an extent).  >:(

Edit: Reading around internet (could be wrong!) looks like a 147gr 9mm (5") is about 4200 psi at the muzzle and 62gr 5.56 (16") is about 7400 psi at the muzzle. Does that sound remotely accurate?
« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 09:42:38 PM by TITAN308 »

anything