Author Topic: 11" Bren 2 with 1-4  (Read 300 times)

Offline Scorepion

11" Bren 2 with 1-4
« on: May 12, 2020, 06:25:03 PM »
So weeks of back and forth with optics choices. I went with a Meopta ZD 1-4x22, made in the Czech Republic. I found my 3x magnifier's eyebox was way too picky for me. The rest of the reasons I eliminated others is subjective. This has wide range eyebox, very clear glass, red dot bright reticle. I am happy with this Czech pairing.

Meopta ZD 1-4. 9.5" long and approx 18oz. Its 22 objective adds more room for BUIS.

Scalarworks 1.57" mount (5.48oz). Keep in mind knuckle space with QD mounts.

ZD K556 reticle is fast to pick up on 1x both eyes open. Will be adding a Charlie Drissel Custom fit CNC throw lever. FYI he is clearing out $25 shipped vs $70 no longer making them.

Pic is not the best but wanted to give an idea of the reticle and its extreme brightness. Image show was on setting 5 of 7. Getting a clear image of this with a phone is sort of like below.

Older review on this optic here
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 09:50:43 AM by Scorepion, Reason: info add »

Offline Magsz

Re: 11" Bren 2 with 1-4
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2020, 09:38:31 PM »
Why a 1-4 versus some of the newer 1-6 offerings that are coming in around that same size and weight?

Always curious to know why people choose particular optics!

Great looking gun man.

Offline Scorepion

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2020, 10:50:23 PM »
 Yes 1-6 was included but a lot washed out mostly on reticle types or their brightness. China glass was out and Schott glass items can start the up hill of diminishing returns as you get higher priced. I felt this schott glassed 1-4 would be plenty for an 11" at the distances I can take it to (physical ranges locally 300-500). I grew up on 500 yd iron sight qualifications. My eyes just got older. Having clearer glass and daylight bright reticle was more of a wish than more magnification for this platform. I also wanted a good eyebox for use on 1x as a red dot. The benefit of a 1-4  typically offers better eyebox than 1-6 so I have read. I went back and forth across the spectrum. Was this the ultimate Im not sure but its hitting the marks I wanted it to do.

I also still drive a stick so there is that ;D

Offline Magsz

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2020, 12:33:58 AM »
Makes total sense.

One of the most amazing optics ive used is the Vortex Razor 1-6.  The eyebox and daylight bright reticle is absolutely amazing on that thing.

I'm always interested to hear why other people choose other optic options. :)

Offline Scorepion

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2020, 01:09:00 AM »
Agreed I have looked through a Razor and they are real nice also.

anything