Author Topic: DWX magazine confusion  (Read 10367 times)

Offline jlficken

DWX magazine confusion
« on: November 11, 2019, 03:31:16 PM »
I've contacted both Dan Wesson and CZ USA and neither of them can seem to tell me if the original P-09 magazines like https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1021569549?pid=109222 will work in the DWX.

Does anyone know for sure if the magazines with the single cutout will work or will only the magazines with the dual cutouts work?

ETA: If they won't work with the original magazines I'd hope that DW could make a replacement mag release that will work as I have 25 magazines that I'd like to use.  I'm not sure if I'll buy one if I have to buy all new magazines for it while if I know that they'll work then I'll pre-order one today and I'm not a pre-order kind of guy.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 03:36:47 PM by jlficken »

Offline Grendel

• Administrator
  • 'Live Long, and Prosper'
Re: DWX magazine confusion
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2019, 04:07:08 PM »
If the manufacturers don't know, I don't see how anyone else here will, given they haven't been released to the public yet.

You could see if there's any early gun rag reviews on youtube and leave a comment asking them.
Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges - Tacitus

Inter arma enim silent leges - Cicero

I wasn't born in America, but I got here as fast as I could.

Offline jlficken

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2019, 04:11:31 PM »
Well, the person that I spoke to at each place didn't know so I was hoping maybe someone that is "in the know" might lurk here.

It is a long shot but I figured why not ask.

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2019, 06:08:51 PM »
Per the DW website the full size DWX uses mags based on the CZ P-09/P-10F while the compact versions will use 75 compact mags. That's the best info you're going to get at this point.

Offline jlficken

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2019, 07:23:33 PM »
Per the DW website the full size DWX uses mags based on the CZ P-09/P-10F while the compact versions will use 75 compact mags. That's the best info you're going to get at this point.

Yeah that appears to be the case.

I'm just going to spend the $20 and send the magazines that I bought back while I can as I have no use for them if they won't work in the DWX.

Live and learn....

Offline earlan357

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2019, 10:50:56 AM »
Probably needs to P10F style mag.  Based on my mediocre photoshop skills, it looks like the mag release button is higher than on a P09.

Offline jlficken

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2019, 10:57:19 AM »
Probably needs to P10F style mag.  Based on my mediocre photoshop skills, it looks like the mag release button is higher than on a P09.

Great picture!

I did find out after calling both DW and CZ (who couldn't answer my question) that the original P-09 mags will NOT work after finally calling HBI who knew the answer to my question.

Happily I was able to cancel the order before they shipped.

Offline Stuart

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2019, 03:27:43 PM »
from information gleened.
the DWX uses a P09/P10F size magazine.
it uses the top mag catch notch of the P10F mag design.
There are no P10F 40SW magazines.

Offline jlficken

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2019, 03:46:40 PM »

Well, I guess they better get on that or else it'll be hard to sell their new gun.

Offline Stuart

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2019, 07:05:53 PM »

Well, I guess they better get on that or else it'll be hard to sell their new gun.

Well, I am  hoping they have a stockpile of DWX 40SW mags and DWX 9mm mags.
those will go as fast as the guns will go.

Offline BisonWorld

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2019, 08:22:07 PM »
With how cheap .40 cal p-09 magazines are through a few places right now ($10.63 at midway on clearance) someone could probably make quick buck adding the extra notches or offering the service. ;)

Offline BisonWorld

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2019, 10:13:17 PM »
With how cheap .40 cal p-09 magazines are through a few places right now ($10.63 at midway on clearance) someone could probably make quick buck adding the extra notches or offering the service. ;)

Well somebody certainly gobbled all of those up quick haha.

Offline bravo5two

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2020, 09:12:15 AM »
I've contacted both Dan Wesson and CZ USA and neither of them can seem to tell me if the original P-09 magazines like https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1021569549?pid=109222 will work in the DWX.

Does anyone know for sure if the magazines with the single cutout will work or will only the magazines with the dual cutouts work?

ETA: If they won't work with the original magazines I'd hope that DW could make a replacement mag release that will work as I have 25 magazines that I'd like to use.  I'm not sure if I'll buy one if I have to buy all new magazines for it while if I know that they'll work then I'll pre-order one today and I'm not a pre-order kind of guy.

No won't work with 1st gen P09 magazine (single cut).  Need the 'second gen' P09 magazine which has 3 cuts to work on P09/07 series and P10 series.  I have both P09 and P10c and the 2nd gen works with both.  The new DWX will use P10 magazine which is the same as 2nd gen P09. 

They are only $35 bux https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1021436063  *** ETA - Sorry you're asking about .40 S&W and not 9mm.  I didn't even know P09 came in 40 S&W flavor!****
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 09:23:23 AM by bravo5two »

anything