Author Topic: Torque specs for stock bolt  (Read 1164 times)

Offline TJNewton

Torque specs for stock bolt
« on: November 14, 2019, 05:42:58 PM »
Anyone have any torque specs for the stock bolt?  I've tightened them in the past with a standard ratchet and it was fine, but have seen people use long screwdrivers, which I would think would have less torque than a ratchet. 

I recently tightened one down with a torque wrench to 20 ft/lbs, and while it was a good quarter turn tighter what I did with the ratchet, the stock is getting loose.  I've done this a few times using a standard ratchet and used to tighten it until I was grunting and grimacing.  Using the torque wrench, which is much longer, I got it far tighter than the ratchet with much less effort.  I want to tighten the bolt further than the 20 ft/lbs it's at now, but as the torque wrench is longer and easier to turn, I don't want to overdo it and strip or break anything.

Thanks for any input.

Offline RSR

Re: Torque specs for stock bolt
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2019, 04:32:29 PM »
Is teflon in the threads?  I'd any teflon off (it's a lubricant) and then use blue loctite or rocksett.  The bolts can likely take more than 20 ft-lbs, but there's no reason I see for it.

Offline TJNewton

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2019, 02:08:19 AM »
There shouldn't be any teflon on there as I used brake cleaner and a wire brush to clean the threads both on the bolt and in the receiver.  The problem isn't with the folding stock as the nub on the hinge and the opening in the receiver are perfectly machined with zero wobble once inserted.  Interestingly, the surplus fixed stock has a round nub on top as well as two at the bottom, which the folder doesn't have.  The fixed stock, however, has slight rotational wobble when set into the receiver. 

I came across this problem as well with fabbing the stock extension for my homemade aperture sight, and now have that problem with the Czechpoint AR15 BUIS adapter.  Both sight systems seem extremely tight, but midway through a session at the range, they rotate to the extent of the original wobble, about 1mm or so.  The curious thing is that the bolt remains tight and neither my adapter or Czechpoint's will turn by hand or seem loose.  It's a very slow migration.  This doesn't happen with the folder as, again, it's perfectly machined to the receiver with no play whatsoever even without the bolt tightened down.  This may be a common occurrence, but as it is so slow and doesn't palpably loosen up it may go unnoticed, especially if using the factory rear sights in the original sight block.  Using an aperture sight on top of a twisting stock, however, is very noticeable, up to several inches of windage at 50 yards.

So I tightened down both adapters to 25 ft/lbs.  I hope that will work.   

Offline ObiWanBonJovi

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2019, 12:38:57 PM »
Lube the face between the stock and the reciver, and lube the countersink under the bolt, to ensure that everything is seated properly, then use a dab of loctite on the threads.  There is no possibility of torquing the m12 bolt enough to achieve bolt stretch with the flat head screwdriver slot.

Offline TJNewton

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2019, 12:53:27 AM »
Lube the face between the stock and the reciver, and lube the countersink under the bolt, to ensure that everything is seated properly, then use a dab of loctite on the threads.  There is no possibility of torquing the m12 bolt enough to achieve bolt stretch with the flat head screwdriver slot.

I did the above and torqued it down to 25 ft/lbs.  Shot 125 rounds in a mix of bench and offhand shooting and it all seems to be holding together.  Thanks for the info.