Author Topic: CZ 527 Owners - does your bolt ride smoothly?  (Read 1060 times)

Offline YoungPatriot

CZ 527 Owners - does your bolt ride smoothly?
« on: December 11, 2019, 09:51:50 PM »
Hi -

I’ve had my eye on a CZ 527 in 7.62x39 for a while but some of the reviews online are giving me pause with reports of bolt binding and rough or sloppy actions.  I’m not super picky or expecting something that is butter smooth out of the box but will be really bummed if I can’t work the bolt reasonably well with some break in. Most concerning are some people who say the bolt sticks and binds if you don’t work the action with a thumb on the back of the bolt and completely straight. 

For those with 527’s, is this typical or rare bad luck with a couple out there?

Thanks,
YP

Offline aasbra

Re: CZ 527 Owners - does your bolt ride smoothly?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2019, 10:22:41 PM »
I have seven 527 rifles in various calibers.  While the action was smoother on some than others when acquired new, with cycling of the bolt, and a little work on the extractor on 2 or 3 of them they all have smoothed up pretty nicely.

Offline rr7135

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2019, 03:48:17 AM »
Mine was pretty smooth from the get go.  It has some slop in it but works fine without any thumb assistance.  I have a 2015 vintage carbine in .223 and it is my favorite rifle.

Take care,
Bob
« Last Edit: December 12, 2019, 03:55:19 AM by rr7135 »

Offline crosstimbers

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2019, 09:11:24 AM »
I have two, a carbine in 7.62x39 and an American in .223. Neither one was new when I acquired them, so that might have something to do with it, both of the bolts ride pretty smooth. I would say however that removing the bolt on the carbine can be a bit difficult, I'm not sure if the bolt release just isn't working right or if the bolt just tends to bind on removal....but I often have to wrestle with it for a minute to get it out for cleaning. Absolutely my only complaint about the rifle though, you wont regret the purchase.

Offline Abe

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2019, 10:53:09 PM »
I own two 527 carbines - one each in 223 and 7.62x39. I find both are very smooth with less than 200 rounds through each. 

In contrast I have a Ruger Gunsight Scout in .308 with about 120 rounds shot that feels like the action is sloppy loose and sprinkled with sand. I did recently stone off a tiny burr on the receiver that helped a bit; I noticed a line had been scratched into the bolt.

As a lefty I operate my CZ carbines off handed - easily without any problem or need to use my thumb in any special place.  My Ruger is left handed and the bolt needs to be kept in careful alignment like Tim from MAC talked about his 527 needed.

YMMV.

Good luck.

Offline audax

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2019, 01:29:09 PM »
I have one CZ 527 in 7.62x39. When it was brand new the bolt would bind if there was any sideways pressure on it. I couldn't reliably work it by pushing on the ball of the bolt handle.

I sat in front of the TV mindlessly working the bolt until it smoothed out and worked reliably. It would have been nice if it came from the factory that way but it wasn't a big deal in my case.
Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2019, 09:41:50 PM »
My 7.62 CZ 527M was stiff when I first got it, but after a few thousand rounds, smooth as butter. :) People love to shoot it when I let it out for demos.

Offline robert1804

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2019, 10:44:59 PM »
I have a 527 in 300 Blackout bought new and have about 800 rounds fired. The bolt was rough when new, but has smoothed out some now. It still needs to be pushed with my thumb on the bolt center to chamber a round smoothly. I'm very used to it now so it's only a bother when I consider it's a $650 rifle. I'm keeping it since it's such a good shooter and the bolt may eventually smooth out.

Offline Starr1

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2020, 11:21:58 AM »
My 7.62 bolt was not the smoothest when new, and I kept it well lubed for the first few hundred rounds. I found that using your thumb to close the bolt works excellent and it's become second nature for me to do this, I actually prefer this method and almost all bolt action rifles work better this way. The bolt on my CZ has since smoothed out nicely, but I still use my thumb to close it.

Offline YoungPatriot

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2020, 05:36:31 PM »
Thanks for the info.  I have a 527 suppressor ready in 7.62x39 on order.  Hopefully it will approximate most others experience and not have any issues with binding. 

Offline Old-Duckman

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2020, 09:20:20 AM »
A bit sticky at first but smoothed up quickly ...as others have noted.

You will absolutely love this rifle. I don't know your intended purpose but I suggest not scoping it right away and just use the irons for awhile. The iron sights are very nice on these and fun to shoot that way.

Enjoy.

Offline seanc

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2020, 05:14:47 PM »
Mine is about 4 months old and is fairly smooth.  I've put about 400 rounds  of 7.62x39 through it, not sure how many times I've dry fired it, probably another 4-500 times.

Before I decided to get the 527, I tried a RAR (which I was all ready to buy!) and was surprised at how gritty the bolt was on it.  Odd that you don't hear much complaining from the Ruger owners about their bolts smoothness.

Offline Abe

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2020, 07:14:05 PM »
I just picked up a 527 Supressor-ready model in 7.62x39.  Out of the box the bolt felt gritty and bound up unless doing the thumb on the back of the bolt technique.  During cleaning following its first trip to the range, I could feel burrs on the inside of the receiver at the very back and on the long ledge opposite where the case ejects.  5 minutes with a fine stone took care of the burrs and the bolt runs appreciably better with no fingernails on chalkboard sounds.

Now if my can ever gets out of NFA jail I will be all set until the Urge for a Bren 2MS carbine overwhelms my fiscal discipline.