Author Topic: P120 vs B6P  (Read 622 times)

Offline Stafford

P120 vs B6P
« on: December 22, 2019, 02:29:10 PM »
Looking to pick up a cheap option for IDPA only. The Tristar P120 looks great and heavy and the reviews are good. Seems like it would be the best option for a budget competition pistol. I’ve seen them in the $350ish range lately.

On the other hand, the SAR B6P is around $230 and seems to be a reliable and accurate shooter. But, much lighter, and seemingly not as good a choice for competition. But, the reviews are good on accuracy for this pistol and it’s a good bit cheaper.

I’m leaning toward the P120 mainly because of weight. Since I’ve shot neither, and they aren’t carried locally, I’ll be purchasing online. I guess my main question is how do the triggers compare and which is the best option for IDPA?

Offline Practical Shooter

• Legio Patria Nostra
Re: P120 vs B6P
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2019, 03:05:55 PM »
If you are just looking for an inexpensive handgun to play in IDPA and test the water of your new found activity, both of them will do just fine.
As you might/will get hooked onto the sport, you will have to choose another handgun with a little bit more aftermarket parts. It will allow you to improve a few things on your handgun and help you become a better competition shooter.
I started with the P120, it was an outstanding handgun, but found out it had limitations. By that time it was to late to end there. I had to purchase its big brother, the CZ SP-01 if I wanted to get better at a shooting sport.
Here I am in very early competition (IDPA) with the P120

This was last summer in Steel Challenge with the SP01

Offline Stafford

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2019, 04:49:09 PM »
Practical Shooter:

I’ve seen your videos and that’s one reason I noticed the P120. I’m about 6 months into competition and mainly shoot USPSA. I’ve got a Shadow 2 on the way, but wanted to get something that I could also use in IDPA. Since I broke the bank on the Shadow 2 (and a competition rig), I wanted something much more budget friendly for IDPA. Especially since I shoot IDPA infrequently.

The P120 seemed like a decent option because of the design and weight. I’ve also read that the P120 can be tuned to much lower pull weights in DA/SA.

• Legio Patria Nostra
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2019, 08:59:43 AM »
Yes it can be tuned, up to a certain extent, but is limited to some "off" dimensions compare to the SP-01.
I had to put it aside, as it did gave me a hammer bite on the web of my hand, and preferred the extended beaver tail of the SP-01. But that's me, and my not affect your hand the same.

Offline Stafford

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2019, 09:28:02 AM »
What is the trigger pull weight for double action and single action for a stock P120 compared to the SP01?

Did you run in SSP with the hammer down to start or ESP cocked and locked?

Can you dry fire the P120 for hundreds or thousands of rounds? Or did you use snap caps for dry fire?
« Last Edit: December 23, 2019, 10:05:04 AM by Stafford »

Offline okie21

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2019, 11:16:31 AM »
I have a P120 and owned a B6P in the past. I sold it a couple of years ago. They're both very good pistols. The B6P is a great pistol with a dirt cheap price tag. But the heavy weight of the P120 makes it so easy to shoot.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2019, 08:35:02 PM »
Don't have the P120, but I do have the comparable, and lighter alloy framed T120, which I use primarily for USPSA, Hi-Cap Limited.
My T120 is bone stock except for the grips, and so far, these last 3 years, it's served me quite well.
It is a Pistol that I would buy again, should it become lost to me.

I also own an excellent SAR B6P, that I also like very much.  I've used it in a few IPSC Practice Matches.
Very accurate and Reliable, in spite of it's low price tag.  While it might serve as a primary IPSC Pistol, I would choose the P120 over it.
I've also carried the B6P as a CCW, though not very often.  I much prefer it's slightly shorter sibling, the SAR K2P for a CCW.
I currently use my B6P as a "Utility" Pistol, that I can leave in my SUV, if I'm not already carrying another CCW.

My opinion, FWIW.  :)
"Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

• Legio Patria Nostra
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2019, 09:28:48 PM »
What is the trigger pull weight for double action and single action for a stock P120 compared to the SP01?

Did you run in SSP with the hammer down to start or ESP cocked and locked?

Can you dry fire the P120 for hundreds or thousands of rounds? Or did you use snap caps for dry fire?

The trigger is slightly heavier on the P120, but SP-01 main springs and recoil springs can be used on the Canik.
I run hammer down, and kind a like that DA first shot. I have shot so much in DA that my body has adapted from shooting DA to SA without thinking about it.
I have snap caps, but never really used them on any of my guns as a protection for the firing pin, I mainly place them randomly on a full magazine when working on my trigger control.
I dry fire all my guns without protection and never had any failures of any kind, but I run my life with a high degree of tolerance for risk taking and stupidity.

Offline mwj999

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2019, 10:32:38 PM »
One small advantage of the SAR B6P is that one need not hammer out a roll pin to remove the firing pin; it comes out more or less like an 1911's.

One major disadvantage of the SAR B6P is that there are no aftermarket sights for it. At least, I've never found any. With no tritium sights available, it servers as my car gun only in the summer months, when both my morning and evening commutes are in daylight.

Regrettably, I don't own a P-120 or an SP-01, but I assume that they take the same sights. My S-120 takes sights for the CZ 75B, and my C-100 takes sights for the CZ Compact. Please let me k now if I'm mistaken.

Offline dwcopple

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2020, 04:49:01 PM »
B6P is a great, ergonomic pistol.   Trigger job is super easy with a S&W K-frame rebound spring.  You can't go wrong at sub $250.