Author Topic: Tips for replacing barrel roll pin?  (Read 846 times)

Offline baldrage

Tips for replacing barrel roll pin?
« on: January 15, 2020, 08:49:50 AM »
After many thousands of rounds, the barrel roll pin in my Kadet shattered.  I have a replacement pin from CZ-USA in hand, but replacement was not as straightforward as I had anticipated.  The pin is oversized compared to the hole and does not appear tapered on either side.  I tried inserting with fingers, tapping on it with a punch, and directly tapping on the pin with a small rubber hammer, but pin would not insert into the hole.  I put in the pin the freezer overnight and will play with when I get home work today.

From searching the forum, I understand the pins are designed to be slightly oversize and partially collapse when press into the hole, but how do I get it started into the hole?  Squeeze one side with pliers?  Does it matter which way I install? Start on right side and insert to left, or vice-versa?

Offline painter

Re: Tips for replacing barrel roll pin?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2020, 11:06:54 AM »
I don't believe it matters which direction you insert the pin, but most people install from right to left. Most roll pins have a very slight radius on the ends.

You need to use a steel hammer to start the pin, and a roll pin punch to finish the job.
I had the right to remain silent...

but not the ability.

Offline Mark-combat

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2020, 11:11:41 AM »
left in right out

Offline baldrage

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2020, 08:22:13 AM »
Thanks for the responses!

Putting the pin in the freezer overnight seemed to do the trick.  I was able to get it started with a couple of hard taps from a regular hammer, then finish with smaller hammer and punch.  For the record, on my kadet, the pin went in from the left side.

anything