Author Topic: 12/27/19, the good and the not so good  (Read 303 times)

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
12/27/19, the good and the not so good
« on: December 29, 2019, 06:06:11 PM »
AR15 first – got it very close to sighted in, but it was short stroking pretty bad, couldn’t get more than a couple shots off without it riding up the side of the next round.  Probably know what it is – didn’t offset the gas block forward to make up for lack of a front handguard ring.  Ran into this once before and moving the gas block a tiny bit forward fixed it.  I’ll get that done in the next day or so and get out to the range again to confirm.

New M&P .45 Compact (10 round magazine of .45 acp).  Fired 4 different loads in it.

200 grain LRN (with the flat front nose).  Soso at 12 yds.  Not bad, just not as good as my P07 will shoot.  Brass was lying a couple feet right/rear of my position.

230 grain LRN (very stubby/short profile, like an old LRN for a .38).  Not a very good target/group.  Darn ammo made that trigger/trigger guard chew on my trigger pretty hard.  I’m gonna have to dig out the reloading data from the logbook as the box didn’t have the usually piece of paper in it with the load date/load data.   Don’t like shooting it in the “Compact” so I’ll have to see how it does in the bigger XD 5” Tactical at some point.

Brass was not found.  My brother said it flew high/far/right like it was going south for the winter.

230 grain LRN (usually profile).  Best group of the lead bullets.  Recoil no where near as bad as the previous load.  Empties were just a bit further out than the first load.  Group was the best of the LRN ammo I shot today.

230 grain FMJ (CCI/Speer factory ammo).  SUPER!  This pistol really LIKES this load.  Four bullets tore one hole in the X ring and one round was low and in the 10 ring.  And I shot this group pretty fast.  My brother doubted I shot 5 rounds till we picked up the empties.

I need to figure out how to load a round to duplicate this one.  Recoil was very soft, compared to all the LRN ammo.  Empties were close enough to my right foot to step on.

A word about the Compact.  It’s not very compact.  Same frame as the full sized M&P .45 acp.  What S&W says makes it a “compact” is it’s barrel is about ½” shorter than the FULL sized M&P .45 acp.

If it keeps shooting groups like that last one, even with FMJ ammo, it might get a red dot on it later this winter/early spring.  Too soon to tell right now.

I may have finally gotten my hands on a rare M&P – one that shoots good groups.

Cleaned up easy.  Four or five passes down the barrel with a dry brush followed by four or five passes with a patch and it was “shiny” again.  Lubed it up and put it away.

I stopped carrying the SIG 556R.  SIG changed models and couple/three times and stopped supporting it with parts.  So, I stopped supporting SIG.  Back to the tried/true AR15 Carbine.

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
Re: 12/27/19, the good and the not so good
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2019, 11:33:56 PM »
Nice work!  8) Ia gree some "compacts' aren't exactly very compact at all.

anything