Author Topic: SP01 Tactical Decocker Doesn't Return Hammer Fully to Slide?  (Read 2220 times)

Offline johnhenry507

SP01 Tactical Decocker Doesn't Return Hammer Fully to Slide?
« on: January 08, 2020, 08:42:53 PM »
Hi Guys,

Bought my new SP01 Tactical and really excited - as I was handling it for the first time I noticed that the Decocker doesn't return the hammer fully to the slide.  Is this normal?  I've looked around and it appears so.  My question is - what then is the purpose of the decocker? 

Offline glock19er

Re: SP01 Tactical Decocker Doesn't Return Hammer Fully to Slide?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2020, 08:44:21 PM »
Completely normal. It drops it down to quarter cocked.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Offline eastman

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2020, 08:56:32 PM »
The hammer stops in the safety notch. This keeps the hammer from contacting the firing pin while de-cocked. That is exactly where it is supposed to rest.
I don't look like my avatar!

Offline johnhenry507

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2020, 10:48:56 PM »
Sorry my question wasn't exactly clear.  The reason this version of the SP01 doesn't have a manual safety is because it has the de-cocker -> true?  But if the de-cocker only places the hammer into a quarter cocked position, pulling the trigger will still fire the gun, therefore not providing a "safety" per se.  Also, since this gun is DA/SA, even if the de-cocker returned fully to the slide, it would still not be in 'safety' as pulling the trigger would, again, still fire the gun.  So what is the point of the de-cocker?

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2020, 11:00:29 PM »
Sorry my question wasn't exactly clear.  The reason this version of the SP01 doesn't have a manual safety is because it has the de-cocker -> true?  But if the de-cocker only places the hammer into a quarter cocked position, pulling the trigger will still fire the gun, therefore not providing a "safety" per se.  Also, since this gun is DA/SA, even if the de-cocker returned fully to the slide, it would still not be in 'safety' as pulling the trigger would, again, still fire the gun.  So what is the point of the de-cocker?
There is no mechanical safety. That's the whole point of having a DA/SA with a de-cocker.

Offline Tok36

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2020, 02:13:54 AM »

The point of the decocking mechanism is to allow you to lower the hammer from Single Action to Double Action. The DA is longer and heaver than the SA and therefor safer when properly handled. Without a decocker one would be required to pull the trigger and manually lower the hammer. Some see this is an unsafe option. To be clear the DA is the safety.

The second notch on the hammer is generally know as a Half Cock Notch or a Safety Notch. As stated above it keeps the hammer away from the Firing Pin.
Will work for CZ pics! (including but not limited to all CZ clones)

Offline Oldbear

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2020, 10:14:37 AM »
Good explanation.  And to take it further, the CZ hammer guns WITH a safety only allow the safety to be engaged when the pistol is fully “cocked and locked”.   Otherwise, you manually lower the hammer on those guns to the 1/4 cock position, Exactly the position your decocker lowers the hammer to on your pistol.   This is a very sound design, and allow quickly placing the pistol in service while being a safe carry position.   The long, heavier, double action pull IS the safety, just like a DA revolver.

Offline daved20319

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2020, 11:41:16 AM »
To add some more, there is an additional safety on most modern pistols, the firing pin block, sometimes referred to as a drop safety.  Its purpose is to prevent the firing pin from contacting a cartridge unless the trigger is actually pulled.  So, in theory, you could conceivably drop a pistol so equipped directly on a cocked hammer, and it still wouldn't discharge.  Or to put it another way, even if the safety notch on the hammer broke as you were decocking the pistol, it still wouldn't fire, PROVIDED you didn't have your finger on the trigger.  Decockers used to give me the willies, then I did some research and realized it's only part of a safety system.  Now, it's my preferred system, I got rid of everything that wasn't DA/SA with decocker.  Only "down side" to decockers is the initial DA to SA transition, but that's what training and practice are for.  Later.

Offline TXGREEK

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2020, 12:46:57 PM »
To add some more, there is an additional safety on most modern pistols, the firing pin block, sometimes referred to as a drop safety.  Its purpose is to prevent the firing pin from contacting a cartridge unless the trigger is actually pulled.  So, in theory, you could conceivably drop a pistol so equipped directly on a cocked hammer, and it still wouldn't discharge.  Or to put it another way, even if the safety notch on the hammer broke as you were decocking the pistol, it still wouldn't fire, PROVIDED you didn't have your finger on the trigger.  Decockers used to give me the willies, then I did some research and realized it's only part of a safety system.  Now, it's my preferred system, I got rid of everything that wasn't DA/SA with decocker.  Only "down side" to decockers is the initial DA to SA transition, but that's what training and practice are for.  Later.

2nd that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline wdbutcher

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2020, 09:17:01 PM »
Excellent explanations! That's the reason I choose a decocker over a safety ;)

Offline SEAKPhotog

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2020, 03:58:09 PM »

Good info! Another potential downside is the increased complexity of the internals for do it yourselfers.  That said, my 3 CZ75s all have decockers.  I've go no issues with the DA pull.  Just takes practice. I feel it's "safer" than carrying cocked and locked.  But that's just personal preference.

Offline rkwhyte2

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2020, 07:00:46 PM »

Good info! Another potential downside is the increased complexity of the internals for do it yourselfers.  That said, my 3 CZ75s all have decockers.  I've go no issues with the DA pull.  Just takes practice. I feel it's "safer" than carrying cocked and locked.  But that's just personal preference.

With the exception of my Masada SC all of my CZ's are decockers.

Offline Bossgobbler

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2020, 08:49:27 PM »
All of my many CZ's are safety models! The trigger is better out of the box and can be improved even more.  The safest mode of carrying with a CZ is with a hammer is all the way down. There is never any direct hammer, firing pin, primer contact. A CZ firing pin works on inertia and with the hammer lowered on the slide it does not protrude from the breech face making it impossible to strike the primer.

anything