Author Topic: Advice to a newbie  (Read 3714 times)

Offline TXGREEK

Re: Advice to a newbie
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2020, 09:53:06 AM »
IMO, to each their own, you can be small, medium or large framed and still want the larger metal framed gun because of the way it feels in your hand. I’m 6’, very athletic and normal hands but prefer the feel of full size guns, primarily because they fit better in my hand and like the above comment, they’re are lots of upgrades available for for my SP-01 as well as it’s already threaded for a suppressor and the ability to carry 19 rds of 147 grain hollow points along with that excellent de-cocker, just rocks!

I’ve been carrying my Glock 22 with additional 2x15 rd clips (185 grain) for over 25 years, always chambered and in my Galco leather shoulder holster. Again, I’m a physical guy that enjoys weight lifting and the weight of a fully loaded full size pistol doesn’t really bother me, just reminds me that it’s there and I shoot it very well. My G19 gen4 has Trijicon night sights and I usually carry it in a 5.11 front pouch along with 2x15 rd clips when I’m wearing shorts (South Texas) or traveling to gun friendly coastal cities. This CZ brand is completely new to me, SP-01 has nothing but outstanding reviews on reliability and target acquisition, still haven’t shot it as I’m getting over an upper respiratory infection but I’m already looking to add the P01 as well to my collection along with other name brand weapons. I’ve also felt the Walther pistols in my hand and not at all impressed with their fit and finish, sort of deformed and feels very plastic like and not pretty guns (like an over sized head, oddly shaped)  but this is MHO only, to each their own, if it works for you then there you go. I’m really digging this CZ full metal pistol, good job CZ and welcome to the family.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline radagast

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2020, 01:57:48 PM »
Welcome aboard from gUNfriendly NJ !
      First and foremost - All advice is inherently biased !!!  With that said, I can add that my contribution is pretty limited since I'm only familiar with the P07. I've got a P07 (not the original "Duty" version) that was a nightmare OOB. It's quite shootable after a lot of polishing and break in but no additional parts. The Wife's ODG P07 however has magnificent DA and SA function OOB, that I feel is close to competition ready !
      My decision to start with a P07 was primarily budget driven, but the Wife's wasn't. After handling and renting at least 7 other pistols plus a Phantom and P01, she picked hers. I, myself may move to a P01, but will keep the 07 at my bedside.
      So I have no regrets starting with polymer, and think you'll enjoy whichever CZ you pick. If it's not perfect, you can always benefit from the learning curve from improving it !

"Let there be light"  and there was muzzle flash !

Offline David0408

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2020, 02:37:08 PM »
I'm curious why so many recommend the P-01 over the PCR for carry?

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
  • Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2020, 06:03:23 PM »

Simply because my purchase was back in 2000-2001 when there was only the CZ75 and the P01. There was no PCR.
In God we trust; On 'Starting Load' we rely.

Offline Ipleathe2nd

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2020, 02:14:31 AM »

The option to mount a light and the added weight to name a few reasons.

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2020, 07:11:19 AM »
My P01s are the Omega models.  I have them set up with safeties, not decocking levers.  So they work like my other pistols.  I don't care to try to switch back and forth from one manual of arms to another and have to remember what to do to make it go bang.

But, let me tell you what I like about the P01.  It's the grooves in the front and back of the frame.  I can feel those every time I pick one of them up.  It feels so good in my hand that I notice it.  I like my CZ75 Compact (converted to CZ85 type controls) but it just doesn't feel as good in my hand as the P01s.

I have a few (haha!) metal framed CZ pistols in 9MM and 40 S&W.  My 9MM P09 is the most accurate of the bunch.  The next closest in accuracy is the P07 .40 I carry all the time.  I know metal framed CZ's can be accurate, bound to be.  Just none of mine are as accurate as the P09 and P07.  Not all of those are created equal - I have a P09 .40 that doesn't shoot as well as those first two.

If you like a full sized pistol, take a look at the P09.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline Rotorflyr66

« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2020, 05:19:49 AM »
Does anyone know of a really nice, high end black leather shoulder holster available for the SP-01?

Can't say 100% that they make one for the SP-01 but check with Black Hills Leather.

Offline DrummerMike

« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2020, 08:12:02 AM »
The SP01 is a great gun, and you wouldn't be disappointed. It would fit the bill for what you are seeking a handgun for. If down the line you would get another for CC, then the PCR is a great one to consider, as is the RAMI. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. Sounds like you have gotten some great information and again, you will be fine with whichever you choose.
CZ P07 Duty
CZ P10c
Sig P365
Walther PPS

Offline TXGREEK

« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2020, 09:49:59 AM »
Interesting review Rami versus P01 versus PCR

Offline recoilguy

« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2020, 05:12:33 PM »
I'm sure you are not confused now. I own almost every gun mentioned in this thread and I am confused what to do.

I will say this....The SP-01 tac is an awesome gun. It is a value for the money but it is worth every penny you would pay and you can get a lot less gun for a lot more money.
The gun is not a good gun for the money ….it is a good gun. Period.
I started with a P-01, which I never sold, and now have a little CZ stash of handguns. I always bring the SP-01tac to the range. I shoot it no matter which other gun I bring. I compete in Production with it and if Bloomberg or any of his cronies ever take power it is the last one they will pry out of my hands. It is not my most expensive gun, it is not my best looking gun, it is not the gun people ask me about he most. It is my favorite. Still, I try to topple it but I can't.

RCG 
Its easy being a communist in a free country
What's hard is to be free in a communist country

Offline TXGREEK

« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2020, 05:57:55 AM »
I'm sure you are not confused now. I own almost every gun mentioned in this thread and I am confused what to do.

I will say this....The SP-01 tac is an awesome gun. It is a value for the money but it is worth every penny you would pay and you can get a lot less gun for a lot more money.
I started with a P-01, which I never sold, and now have a little CZ stash of handguns. I always bring the SP-01tac to the range. I shoot it no matter which other gun I bring. I compete in Production with it and if Bloomberg or any of his cronies ever take power it is the last one they will pry out of my hands. It is not my most expensive gun, it is not my best looking gun, it is not the gun people ask me about he most. It is my favorite. Still, I try to topple it but I can't.

RCG

Well said!

Offline Tyerone

• Saving the planet.
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2020, 07:41:57 PM »
I'm blessed with a few choices in the safe and have specialized options for carry and the range.  In theory, the full size Beretta 96A1 with rail mounted light is the perfect bed side gun.  In reality, the bed side gun is what I was carrying all day, along with hand held flashlight always available.

A full size gun, especially with suppressor is likely going to knock over the desk lamp or bang against the drawer if that is your desired location at night.  Additionally, a smaller lighter gun is going to travel well in the robe or PJ pocket when getting your morning paper, er, I mean coffee.

The PCR, P01, P07 or all steel 75B compact are great compromises for a single range and carry gun, IMHO,

Again since I have a collection, the Rami and smaller pocket capable guns have become my normal go tos for carry and bed side.  My PCR evolved into a range gun or OWB carry, open carry option.  The larger yet guns are now for the range or if the SHTF ready, with loaded mags in the tactical vest.

Offline TXGREEK

« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2020, 07:57:26 PM »
I'm blessed with a few choices in the safe and have specialized options for carry and the range.  In theory, the full size Beretta 96A1 with rail mounted light is the perfect bed side gun.  In reality, the bed side gun is what I was carrying all day, along with hand held flashlight always available.

A full size gun, especially with suppressor is likely going to knock over the desk lamp or bang against the drawer if that is your desired location at night.  Additionally, a smaller lighter gun is going to travel well in the robe or PJ pocket when getting your morning paper, er, I mean coffee.

The PCR, P01, P07 or all steel 75B compact are great compromises for a single range and carry gun, IMHO,

Again since I have a collection, the Rami and smaller pocket capable guns have become my normal go tos for carry and bed side.  My PCR evolved into a range gun or OWB carry, open carry option.  The larger yet guns are now for the range or if the SHTF ready, with loaded mags in the tactical vest.

Offline David0408

« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2020, 10:07:49 PM »

RCG
bleep...I’m going to go hug MY SP-01 right now! :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline TXGREEK

« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2020, 12:07:50 AM »

RCG
bleep...I’m going to go hug MY SP-01 right now! :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

anything