Author Topic: Striker Fire for CC  (Read 8439 times)

Offline mrcabinet

Re: Striker Fire for CC
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2020, 09:33:11 AM »
Last fall I started front-pocket carrying a little Taurus 738. I admit that I was kind of paranoid about the muzzle being that close to the boys, so I ordered one of these little gizmos. The thing actually works - firm enough to prevent trigger movement, but soft enough that it pops out in a split second.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AGC-Grip-Micro-Trigger-Stop-Holster-For-Kel-Tec-P3AT-380/264524169023?_trkparms=aid%3D1110002%26algo%3DSPLICE.SOI%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20200116171858%26meid%3Daa946052a44c4bcba7c5b6d26d61b3d8%26pid%3D100008%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D264524170598%26itm%3D264524169023%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D0%26pg%3D2047675&_trksid=p2047675.c100008.m2219

No matter where you're going, there you are.

Offline Cyanide

Striker Fire for CC
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2020, 03:05:33 PM »
It all depends on ultimately what you shoot well and are comfortable with.

I carry IWB and used to exclusively carry a true DAO (hammer or striker didn’t matter as long as it was a long revolver-style trigger pull and reset ala Beretta “D” models or CZ 100/Walther DAO P99), but over the last few months have slowly worked a “traditional” striker fire into my rotation as my primary EDC with the Glock 26 and 45, and will eventually add a P-10 S. Along with that I switched from leather holsters to Kydex (Davis Tactical) and hybrid (Stealthgear), and haven’t looked back, especially since I’ve also started carrying appendix due to losing a few pounds and being able to use that option when not wearing at the 3 to 4 o’clock position.

I still shoot my hammer DAO’s and DA/SA’s a lot at the range, but have no worries about strikers, especially with a good, rigid holster that fully covers the trigger guard.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 03:11:35 PM by Cyanide »

Offline BStill

« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2020, 03:53:35 PM »
I just started carrying a couple of years ago (over 50 (slightly), retired Marine). 
- started with double-stack 9mm with thumb safety (mainly because I couldn't find a good DA/SA gun compact enough and cheap enough, and the Taurus G2C had good ergo for me, and was cheap to start with
- wanted something smaller and went to a snubbie DAO revolver.  sacrificed ergo/shootability for concealment and the security of DAO
- wanted something slimmmer so started looking for single-stack 9mm.  Recently shot a friend's Glock 43 at the range and liked it, so just bought a used one.  Also found a trainer online describing the gun/holster as a system, and viewing the (good) holster as the physical safety device for the system.  Which was a very helpful ConOps to make me comfortable carrying a striker gun like a Glock.

Besides range training to actually build competence shooting a new gun, my training method to get myself  comfortable carrying and handling (donning/arming/de-arming) a new gun:
-  carry it with an empty mag for a week or so;
- experiment with different holsters and/or carry positions as necessary.
-  pick a holster/carry position and carry it in that configuration with a full mag but empty chamber for another week or so;
-  un-holster and field strip the gun several times during this trial period, whether I shoot and clean it or not, to become intimately familiar with the gun.
-  develop/practice my mental checklist and habit patterns while identifying and improving/fixing any elements of risk.
- once confident and comfortable with that particular gun and holster configuration, physically as well as mentally, I go live with it (full mag and round in the chamber).

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

Offline SigSense

« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2020, 02:54:25 PM »
Last month I changed my CC pistol from a Glock 26, back to a CZ75 P01. The Glock was smaller and obviously a striker fire. My issue was my confidence with re-holstering during stressful, real-life incidents, and the Glock's round capacity. It took a real-life incident for me to re-examine my choice and I went back to the CZ. So as others have wisely advised, you need to practice and see what works for you. I have been shooting/owning hammer-fired, DA-SA semi-autos for 40 years. I have since sold my Glock 26.

Offline Double Tap

« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2020, 03:18:20 PM »
Last month I changed my CC pistol from a Glock 26, back to a CZ75 P01. The Glock was smaller and obviously a striker fire. My issue was my confidence with re-holstering during stressful, real-life incidents, and the Glock's round capacity. It took a real-life incident for me to re-examine my choice and I went back to the CZ. So as others have wisely advised, you need to practice and see what works for you. I have been shooting/owning hammer-fired, DA-SA semi-autos for 40 years. I have since sold my Glock 26.
I find your post interesting. Why did you have lack of confidence in reholstering a striker-fired pistol?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Stojanovich

« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2020, 06:20:11 PM »
I have been looking at smaller guns I can conceal easily, but I honestly am a bit scared to carry striker fired guns. I like the DA/SA especially when re-holstering- I can hold on to the hammer to ensure there is no accidental discharge. Is this fear justified? I was looking at the CZ Rami for CC but people seem to complain about the weight. The P365 looks great and actually fits great in my hands, but the striker fire mechanism has me a bit worried. I am a new / beginner shooter. What do you-all think?

I say, carry whatever you're comfortable carrying!  I'm 60 and was a very late convert to striker-fired pistols but, now I actually prefer my HK VP9SK over any of my previous CCW.  It's the lightest, most accurate compact semi-auto I've ever owned and in 3500+ rounds has never malfunctioned once. 

As far as safety concerns, that's something you can work-thru with training and repetition.  The key was finding a holster that fit well and worked well and for me, it was a Vedder IWB.  Like you, I had my reservations but now I don't feel any less-safe carrying a striker-fired pistol than I do when carrying a hammer-fired pistol.   

Offline SigSense

« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2020, 07:48:28 AM »

I find your post interesting. Why did you have lack of confidence in reholstering a striker-fired pistol?

I was using a leather holster IWB and it did not have the rigidity of a kydex. I had practiced a few times with the draw, then re-holster. When I pulled the G-26 out during the real world incident I was in a car, then when the situation dissipated I was on pavement a few seconds later. The leather had softened over the few years I owned it, and there was difficulty in securely/safely sliding the G-26 back in. Rather than try to ram it in, I thought best to simply hold the pistol. The holster issue wasn't the only reason I went back to the P01. G-26 has max rounds of 13 (1 in the barrel, and 12 in a Magpul mag). P01 is 17.

Offline Texas377

« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2020, 03:53:38 PM »
I had some of the same striker-fired concerns.  I opted for a Sig P365 with a manual safety.  Peace of mind means a lot to me.
CZ Compact PCR
Sig Sauer P320
Ruger LCP
Others, etc.

Offline CCWLearner

« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2020, 04:34:52 PM »
I have CCW a Glock, with one in the chamber, in an OWB holster in the past.  Honestly though it makes me a bit paranoid to carry a striker-fired gun like that, even more so if it were carried IWB, when re-holstering it.  If I were going to carry one now, I'd probably get a Glock and install one of those striker control gadgets, so I could "ride the hammer" into the holster like I do with my hammer-fired guns.

These days I personally CCW a P-07 decocked, a DAO Sig P290RS, or occasionally my old J-frame revolver.  I can carry any of these without any worries, because I can ride the hammer with my thumb when re-holstering.  Each is an uncocked DA gun with a long trigger pull, at least for the first shot, each also with a firing pin block to prevent accidental discharge in case of being dropped or other mishap that causes the hammer or something else to smack the back of the firing pin without the trigger being pulled.  None of them have manual safeties.  They all work more or less the same way and I feel comfortable carrying any of them, holstered, with one in the chamber, either IWB or in a pants or jacket pocket.

Offline Double Tap

« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2020, 05:26:51 PM »
I want to emphasize in the strongest possible way this is not intended to insult anyone. If you are have reservations or doubts about carrying a striker-fired handgun with a round in the chamber you need more training. It's that simple. You are not any safer with any other forms of carrying unless you you don't practice proper gun handling techniques.

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2020, 06:02:38 PM »
Opinions abound here that's a certainty. I'll be sticking with my hammer fired guns for any and all situations. Period.

Offline Mjolnir

« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2020, 06:47:59 PM »
I want to emphasize in the strongest possible way this is not intended to insult anyone. If you are have reservations or doubts about carrying a striker-fired handgun with a round in the chamber you need more training. It's that simple. You are not any safer with any other forms of carrying unless you you don't practice proper gun handling techniques.

I politely disagree.

That said, a Glock with a Tau Development Group Striker Control Device or “Gadget” mitigates the potential of having the trigger catch something and fire while reholstering.

The SIG P320 M18 has an external safety that’s very well executed and placed is another option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Tanners Owner

« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2020, 08:56:55 PM »
I carry striker fire guns with no problem, but I am used to them, as I often shoot them in IDPA.  Key is training and familiarity (not complacency) along with a quality holster that covers the trigger completely and not wearing any cover garments that can get into the trigger guard.

That said, I do carry revolvers at times and in all honesty I do feel slightly more comfortable with them than a striker (or cocked and looked pistol)  Key word in the preceding sentence is slightly.

I will not and do not disparage anyone’s choice of carry, as long it’s done discreetly and they are trained/ competent.
Like a midget at a urinal, I'll have to keep on my toes

Offline Hammer Time

« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2020, 09:07:02 PM »
I will not and do not disparage anyone’s choice of carry, as long it’s done discreetly and they are trained/ competent.

This ^

Offline seebee62

« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2020, 09:12:19 PM »
People can carry whatever they chose for whatever reason in whatever condition.
The information is out there for the pros and cons of carrying this or that in a certain condition safety or no safety.
Folks here are grown. Make a informed decision based on the pros and cons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

anything