Author Topic: Striker Fire for CC  (Read 8367 times)

Offline Skookum

• Truth is the new hate speech.
Re: Striker Fire for CC
« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2020, 10:23:26 PM »
Why did you have lack of confidence in reholstering a striker-fired pistol?

One possible reason:

Skookum
Browning Challenger III, .22 Long Rifle, Glossy Blue
CZ 83, 9 Browning Court, Satin Nickel
CZ 75 Compact, 9 Luger, Dual Tone — Satin Nickel/Matte Blue
CZ 82, 9 Makarov, Czechoslovak People's Army Black
CZ 83, 7.65 Browning, Glossy Blue
Beretta 3032 Tomcat, .32 Auto, Inox

Offline Double Tap

« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2020, 10:29:16 PM »

One possible reason:

The ND happened long after he holstered the gun which leads me to believe that the gun was defective. As for that there are a myriad of possibilities including modifications that were done poorly or incorrectly.

We weren't there so we will never know what happened

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Offline Mjolnir

« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2020, 08:14:05 AM »

One possible reason:

The ND happened long after he holstered the gun which leads me to believe that the gun was defective. As for that there are a myriad of possibilities including modifications that were done poorly or incorrectly.

We weren't there so we will never know what happened

That one was weird. I’m not sure how the pistol could have been defective to fire on its own. I still think something was contacting the trigger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Double Tap

« Reply #48 on: February 19, 2020, 09:18:45 AM »
For the sake of the discussion we can say something was in the way and moved the trigger. If that is the case then you have operator error because he did not check the holster for obstructions

Offline jurek

• NRA Pistol Instructor, RSO
« Reply #49 on: February 19, 2020, 11:58:52 AM »
One possible reason:
This is not because of striker fired firearm. It's because of bad holster or bad re holstering.

For the sake of the discussion we can say something was in the way and moved the trigger. If that is the case then you have operator error because he did not check the holster for obstructions
I agree with this opinion. Firearm is just a tool and it did exactly what it was made for - trigger was pulled and it went off. This guy didn't even checked if the t-shirt wasn't trapped in holster  :-X
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 12:12:52 PM by jurek, Reason: typos... (as always) »

Offline Double Tap

« Reply #50 on: February 19, 2020, 12:06:55 PM »
I decided to watch the video on a 65 inch tv. As far as I can tell he did look down into the holster, I can't say if he was checking for anything in the way or not. I am still inclined to believe that the gun was defective because of a poorly done modification.

Offline seebee62

« Reply #51 on: February 19, 2020, 02:51:25 PM »
I first saw this video a few years ago.

There definitely was something that came in contact with the trigger.

When he bent down it pushed the gun deeper into the holster and whatever was obstructing the trigger caused the bang.

Put the gun in the holster outside of your waistline then put the whole rig in your waistline. If double belt clips preclude this or make it more difficult stop using double belt clip holsters. At least this method can reduce the chances of a AD.

The person that titled the video
“ This is why I will never carry a firearm without a safety “ Isn’t taking in to account that safety or no safety the obstruction to the trigger is still there. Yes the trigger wouldn’t go back with a manual safety on but if the safety wasn’t engaged for whatever reason and there’s a obstruction that actuated the trigger it would go bang.

Making absolutely sure there is no obstruction to the trigger ,holster the gun outside the waistband. This creates safety redundancy even if there is a manual safety.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline Double Tap

« Reply #52 on: February 19, 2020, 04:51:01 PM »

When he bent down it pushed the gun deeper into the holster and whatever was obstructing the trigger caused the bang.

Put the gun in the holster outside of your waistline then put the whole rig in your waistline. If double belt clips preclude this or make it more difficult stop using double belt clip holsters. At least this method can reduce the chances of a AD.

“ This is why I will never carry a firearm without a safety “ Isn’t taking in to account that safety or no safety the obstruction to the trigger is still there. Yes the trigger wouldn’t go back with a manual safety on but if the safety wasn’t engaged for whatever reason and there’s a obstruction that actuated the trigger it would go bang.

Making absolutely sure there is no obstruction to the trigger ,holster the gun outside the waistband. This creates safety redundancy even if there is a manual safety.

What you say could be what happened. He did look the gun into the holster. However it's also possible that the striker spring was changed and the wrong one was used or installed incorrectly. Other mods to the gun could have been made.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 05:15:02 PM by Double Tap »

Offline seebee62

« Reply #53 on: February 19, 2020, 05:08:52 PM »

What you say could be what happened. He did look the However it's also possible that the striker spring was changed and the wrong one was used or installed incorrectly. Other mods to the gun could have been made.

In a Glock doesn’t the firing pin safety have to move up for the striker to hit the primer? The trigger bar pushes the firing pin safety up and out of the way to allow the striker to go forward. So the striker shouldn’t hit the round if the firing pin safety is in the way.

Offline Skookum

« Reply #54 on: February 22, 2020, 06:43:55 PM »
Both these NDs resulted in woundings and look to have involved carry of safetiless sidearms:

Skookum

Offline Double Tap

« Reply #55 on: February 22, 2020, 07:58:23 PM »
It's my opinion that if you are not fully aware and conscience of safe gun handling practices while you handle firearms you won't be saved by a manual safety. I have been around and used/carried for 59 years (I started at 13) and never had a ND. I would not consider carrying a handgun that has a manual safety or with an emptysta chamber.

My safety is my brain and my finger off the trigger until I am ready to shoot

Offline jurek

« Reply #56 on: February 22, 2020, 09:48:55 PM »
Both these NDs resulted in woundings and look to have involved carry of safetiless sidearms:

These videos are great example of people's stupidity.  :o

Offline seebee62

« Reply #57 on: February 22, 2020, 09:59:21 PM »
Both of those videos are a great examples of careless firearm handling and irresponsibility.

Offline Skookum

« Reply #58 on: February 22, 2020, 10:06:17 PM »

These videos are great example of people's stupidity.  :o

People's stupidity is one reason why the affirmative external safety was invented.  It appears in both videos that such a safety, if used, would have prevented the ND and resulting wounding.  This is true of the first video, too.

In this case the ND of a safetiless Glock resulted in a fatality and a nonfatal wounding:

https://www.foxnews.com/us/indiana-boy-dies-after-father-gun-discharges-play-wrestling
Skookum

Offline jurek

« Reply #59 on: February 22, 2020, 10:29:26 PM »
Both of those videos are a great examples of careless firearm handling and irresponsibility.

So we agree...  careless firearm handling and irresponsibility is equal to stupidity.