Author Topic: Change from the 75's spur hammer to ring hammer  (Read 1646 times)

Offline Metal Wonder Nine Guy

Change from the 75's spur hammer to ring hammer
« on: January 11, 2020, 05:48:52 PM »
Why did CZ change the hammer on the 75 series from spur to ring? Was it easier to mill out the ring hammer than the spur hammer?

Offline briang2ad

Re: Change from the 75's spur hammer to ring hammer
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2020, 11:22:40 PM »
Pretty sure it was likely the hammer bite issue.  Trends likely. 

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2020, 11:52:43 PM »

Was it easy to get hammer bite from the pre B CZ-75s? It looked like there was enough of a beaver tail on those earlier CZ-75s.

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2020, 06:23:08 AM »
I don't get bit by my 1917 made 1911 (spur hammer and short grip safety) and I've never been bit by a CZ either.  People usually say it's in how you grip the pistol.

I've never been bit by my Pre B CZ85.  I liked that spur hammer so well I converted my CZ75 Compact and CZ75 B to spur hammers.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline briang2ad

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2020, 07:24:37 PM »

Was it easy to get hammer bite from the pre B CZ-75s? It looked like there was enough of a beaver tail on those earlier CZ-75s.

I kept my spur hammers on my PreBs.  One is a wide spur (and it did make me bleed), so I polished it up really well - didn't really take off much steel at all, and now its not an issue.  The other is thin, and for whatever reason it doesn't draw blood.  Keep in mind that hammer bite is not a pinch.  It is when a sharp edge hits the skin at high speed.  If you make it REALLY smooth, it takes that ability to cut away. 

The late Steve Camp (https://hipowersandhandguns.com/CZ75.htm) took off some steel.  His hands were likely beefier than mine, but mine are a tad think and I DO get Glock bite.  I do grip as high as I can  - the way one should.  The commander hammer doesn't get close. 

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2020, 03:14:20 PM »
Thanks for sharing, Briang2ad.

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2020, 06:01:40 PM »
Back when I had a Pre B, it often bit me, so I ground about 1/8th inch off of the spur, and rounded it to the previous contour.  No more bite!
I much prefer the Ring Hammer of the B series 75's!
"Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"