Author Topic: New CZ 527 Owner baffled and disappointed by bolt falling apart  (Read 215 times)

Offline CZ527Virginia

New CZ 527 Owner baffled and disappointed by bolt falling apart
« on: January 11, 2020, 10:32:38 PM »
When I got my new CZ 527 Carbine iwas trying to get the bolt in - it comes separate in the box and is not intuitive on how to install, doesnt just slide in - and i don't know what happened but the bolt fell apart.  The bolt handle simply does not stay in falls completely apart and nothing holds it in,  and the firing mechanism came out and I have no idea if i put it back in the right way and if that is the problem.  I think there is something at the end of the bolt that is supposed to twist one way or other but for the life of me it looks like a solid piece and doesnt move.  The CZ manual is sort of worthless - has no instructions besides one or two lines that say nothing and illustrations that offer no value information, and the manual is in 6 pt type to boot.  Can anyone provide me advice or some pics on what it's supposed to look like?  I cant find a decent You Tube video on it.  Very disappointed. I am a pistol guy, and never ran into such a weird situation with almost total lack of documentation in the manual.  Like, i need to bring a new, expensive rifle to an armorer to get it to work.  First impression of the carbine is that it's expensive junk.  I know that may not be true, but it shouldnt be this difficult and its a bad experience. Is the bolt assembly really this loose and junky? In addition to not working, it seems like it would be unsafe.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 10:43:28 PM by CZ527Virginia, Reason: additional »

Offline david s

Re: New CZ 527 Owner baffled and disappointed by bolt falling apart
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2020, 12:25:59 AM »
There are some 527 bolt photos in a post below titled "527 Scope Mounting". Normally when shipped the bolt is in the cocked position and shouldn't fall apart. When the striker assembly (firing pin and cocking piece) are in the un-cocked position the bolt can be disassembled for cleaning. Some how your bolt was shipped with the bolt un-cocked. You should have three pieces the blued bolt handle, the black and silver (striker) firing pin assembly and the silver bolt body. The bolt body has two forward locking lugs, the left side lug has a slot in it and the right side is solid. Rotate the ejector blade that's mounted to the bolt body over the solid bolt lug. The black part of the striker assembly has a hole in the bottom of it. Insert the striker assembly into the bolt body so that the striker hole lines up with the ejector blade. Hold the black part of the striker assembly in your hand and point the bolt body away from your self. The slotted bolt lug should be on the left and the ejector blade covers the other lug on the right. Insert the bolt handle into the top of the bolt so it sticks off to the right side. Firmly grasp the black part of the striker assembly and lift the bolt handle up (counter clockwise about 90*) until there is a click. If everything went right the bolt should now be assembled and cocked. It shouldn't just rattle apart now. Make sure the ejector is still lined up over the right (solid) bolt lug and the bolt should go into the action. Look at the photos to make sure the striker assembly is in the correct position, the hole in the striker assembly should be down, if it's up then it's off 180*. Trying to write this out makes it sound complicated but it is pretty easy once you've done it a few times. Good Luck
« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 12:34:05 AM by david s »

Offline AZ_CZ

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2020, 01:03:56 AM »
Try this,

CZ Fanbot since 1996

Offline CZ527Virginia

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2020, 12:53:37 PM »
you guys are awesome. I will look at this and give it a go.  One big concern is that the extractor clip has fallen our of the extractor collar. That seems unusual, and not supposed to happen.  Is this something I can put back in place or does it require experienced armorer?

Offline david s

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2020, 01:41:20 PM »
The extractor is held on to the bolt by a collar spring that looks like the Greek symbol for Omega. Sort of a "O" but with feet. It (the extractor) is kept from moving forward or back by a tab on the extractor (about 1/4" back of the extractor front) that fits the groove in the front of the bolt. The extractor rotates (touches) on the bolt in three place, The tab that fits in the groove (front) the small section at the back of the bolt (rear) and a middle pad that clips to the feet of the Omega spring. The middle pad should have a slot on the bolt side to accept the collar spring feet. One foot in the slot up and the other foot is then down. To fit the extractor you compress the collar spring around the bolt so the two feet come together. Then you slip the extractor's middle pad slot on to the collars two feet. Push the extractor back until it hits the bolt's face. You now need to lift the front of the extractor so that you can continue to push it back until you can get the forward tab into the groove at the front of the bolt. Any video of a Mauser 98 extractor removal/installation would show this. I'm thinking that if the extractor fell off then either the collar spring is in two pieces or one of the Omega's foots has broken off, the third thing is the tab that fit the bolt groove has some how sheared off or was manufactured wrong. The most likely answer is that the bolt was assembled incorrectly in the first place. Once again good luck.

Offline CZ527Virginia

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2020, 03:55:55 PM »
Thanks, from what you have said and the guys in the welcoem forum have said (sorry for posting twice, just frustrated and reaching out) it looks like it's going back to CZ.  The extractor shouldn't have broken off and fixing this is beyond my competence. I'm fine cleanings and minor mods, but the bolt seems broken.  Funny because it came rigt out of the box wrapped in plastic, no one touched it. I got it online at Grabagun and they didnt open the box. I maybe should have tried putting the bolt in the FFL store, but I just assumed it would go in well and smoothly and it was all wrapped in plastic.  Looks like a unique bad experience for a CZ 527.

I felt a bit better taking some of my other guns to the range today and blowing some big holes square in the center of paper.  Kind of burned some frustration at being down and out with my expensive, never fired before (besides factory test rounds in Czech, evidently) new rifle for some time until it gets a fix.  I'll call CZ tomorrow and see how the handle it.

I really wanted my CZ 527 Carbine and the Czech tech to be as amazing as my German weapons - Walther PPQ and H&K VP9 - because I my ancestry is Czech.  My great grandparents were from Moravia.  There was that background when I bought it, plus it looked beautiful and got rave reviews. Now, I wish I never bought it, seems a lemon and I am concerned it's not safe. Anyway, on phone with CZ tomorrow and gonna ship it back and do the waiting game.  $776 including two extra mags, just wish i never did it.