Author Topic: Selling guns advice  (Read 3495 times)

Offline AZ_CZ

Selling guns advice
« on: January 14, 2020, 11:36:22 AM »
Looking for advice or recommendations. Going to be selling some guns that I rarely use since I got bifocals. I can still shoot them but not well and that’s frustrating. I have always sold local face-to-face, but have a few that I think will get a better price in a bigger market. How big a pain is using Gun Broker? I can use a local FFL to handle boxing and shipping. What about listing on a large national forum? I think my biggest concern is how to accept payment. Not even considering PayPal but you still see that as a preferred option. So what does that leave me? USPS MO? Seems like buggy whip era.
CZ Fanbot since 1996

Offline ams

Re: Selling guns advice
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2020, 11:47:26 AM »
If you do USPS MO they never seem to go as high as those that do auction.  Too much potential for a scam.  If I sell on GB I have been known to use a square reader (which you can get for free).  USPS MO or a verifiable cashier's check are good ways to go.  For a check you can let the buyer know that you aren't going to ship until funds have cleared... 14 days or more. 

Hopefully that was somewhat helpful.

Offline DOC 1500

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2020, 04:04:32 PM »
Looking for advice or recommendations. Going to be selling some guns that I rarely use since I got bifocals. I can still shoot them but not well and that’s frustrating. I have always sold local face-to-face, but have a few that I think will get a better price in a bigger market. How big a pain is using Gun Broker? I can use a local FFL to handle boxing and shipping. What about listing on a large national forum? I think my biggest concern is how to accept payment. Not even considering PayPal but you still see that as a preferred option. So what does that leave me? USPS MO? Seems like buggy whip era.
Bifocals? I'm right there with you ,  that's why I switched over from regular sites to Red Dot sights makes a world of difference.
What pistols are you looking to sell?
JOHN 3:16
2 COR.5:17
A Lie is a Lie even if everybody believes it ,
The Truth is the Truth even if nobody believes it !!!

Offline Texas377

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2020, 05:26:25 PM »
I've used Gun Broker to buy and sell several times with absolutely no problem.  I list PayPal, Cashiers Check, or USPS Money Order.  Box up and ship yourself to the buyer's FFL using FedEx.  The only time I used a local gun store to box and ship was when I sold an AR because I didn't have an appropriate size rifle container and they did.
CZ Compact PCR
Sig Sauer P320
Ruger LCP
Others, etc.

Offline AZ_CZ

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2020, 06:26:42 PM »
Bifocals? I'm right there with you ,  that's why I switched over from regular sites to Red Dot sights makes a world of difference.

Well I went to the range and rented some red dot guns and the results were less than I hoped. Really not much better than what I can do with my P10C. Except I don’t have to switch glasses! Been using a Buckmark with a cheapie Weaver dot on a rail to test the concept and been really pleased.  Some one at the range had a milled slide and suppressor sights on a P10C that looked slick. Might see how much that would run me at CZC before I start selling stuff off.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 06:43:38 PM by jwc007 »
CZ Fanbot since 1996

Offline Luvdog

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2020, 07:17:24 PM »
I tend to stick with gun forums to sell to a larger audience.  I’ve used Armslist and GB but find it’s usually too much of a hassle... and the clientele is usually more frustration than it’s worth to me.

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2020, 07:38:44 PM »

Well I went to the range and rented some red dot guns and the results were less than I hoped. Really not much better than what I can do with my P10C. Except I don’t have to switch glasses! Been using a Buckmark with a cheapie Weaver dot on a rail to test the concept and been really pleased.  Some one at the range had a milled slide and suppressor sights on a P10C that looked slick. Might see how much that would run me at CZC before I start selling stuff off.
Milling plus a new RDS will be $400-600ish depending on which sight you choose.

Offline AZ_CZ

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2020, 08:27:21 PM »
I stopped by and talked with CZC last week but left thinking I could only have an optic cut, $200. Checked their website and the additional cut and new tall sights installed is another $200. So if I spend $200 on a RDS I’m all in for over $1,000. Kind of crazy. I’m also stuck with a single mounting option - no plates (unless I’m mistaken) On the plus side the sights actually cowitness because there is NO adapter plate. I have read some posts that the P10C with the factory optic cut using a plate does not cowitness even with tall sights. So that’s no good. I”m leaning toward a Glock 19 Gen 5 and selling the P10C. Shot it today and it wasn’t terrible and it had a stock trigger. Might take a drive over to the Sig dealer and check out the 320RXP. All set up its $800ish with the RDS and sights. Need to find out if any other RDS is compatible with the Sig mount.
CZ Fanbot since 1996

Offline bang bang

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2020, 08:41:31 PM »
.... How big a pain is using Gun Broker?

How much work are you willing to do?  everyone has a different tolerance for things like this.

some suggestions....

>if you want to do something first for free, take a look at some of the GB adds.  look at how they are worded, photos, how people want to be paid, shipping and so forth. 

> consider if you will see AS-IS or ?  If you will take it back, who pays for what.  Dont forget about any FFL transfer, shipping and insurance.

> do you want to create your own add?  do you have the time to do so?

> do you have the provisions to take GOOD photos? 

what GB will want from you....

> GB will want a credit card so you can post adds and they will charge you for adds based off of features what you want, just like a paper add.

> you will also be charged a FEE based off of selling price.

I can use a local FFL to handle boxing and shipping. What about listing on a large national forum? I think my biggest concern is how to accept payment.

this is up to you.  Will your FFL charge you for shipping/handling/insurance?   

YOU CALL THE SHOTS if you decide to sell on GB.

Not even considering PayPal but you still see that as a preferred option. So what does that leave me? USPS MO? Seems like buggy whip era.

again, thats up to you.

you can do what you want, but understand the limitations if any.  If you want to take PP, go for  it.  Can you take credit card?  Have  you asked your FFL if they will do it for you at maybe a fee?  Since they are going to ship the gun for you, you may want to ask them.  dont forget they probably wont do it for free.

some comments/hints/thoughts......

> If you do it yourself on GB, you will start at 0, zilch, na-da, rating.  So if you have something of value, potential buyers maybe skeptical.  So its something to consider.

> you will need to get your ducks in a row so that you dont get taken or spend more $$ than you take in.   you can do some reproach on the selling price of similar guns you plan to sell.  If you are not a GB member, then do so, since that is how you will be able to do a "search" using "sold" actions as a filter.  You can also do a google search on your toy and see what other places may have them sold/for sale or whatever.

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2020, 08:50:47 PM »
Primary Machine has milling/optic packages. On the low end, you can get a Vortex Venom pkg for $365. On the high end, you can get a Trijicon RMR pkg for $660. I think CZ's have a $10 upcharge and back up sights are extra. Personally, I don't think a back up rear sight is 100% necessary. Another option is to have it milled for back up iron sights and add them later after the bank account recovers. It's better to train yourself w/o buis anyway so you truly learn target focus and dot acquisition.

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2020, 05:09:28 AM »
Looking for advice or recommendations. Going to be selling some guns that I rarely use since I got bifocals.
I resisted the need for bifocals for several years but finally moved on to progressives and it was a very good decision overall. I've found that a prominent easy to pick up front sight was all I needed to keep shooting well. Fiber optics and sights like the Sig X-Ray3 work very well for me.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 01:40:25 PM by SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM »

Offline Psyop96

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2020, 01:34:10 PM »
Also not directly answering your question but joining the chorus to offer an alternative to still enjoy shooting with aging eyes. I use a top focal lens for my dominant eye and a bottom focal on the other eye. I also use a stick-on bifocal on the bottom of the lens with the top focal. This way, I have bifocals on two lenses.

https://sspeyewear.com/blogs/news/shooting-glasses-for-aging-eyes-how-to-choose-the-correct-magnification

Offline crosstimbers

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2020, 02:57:21 PM »
I will say this, and it is the result of having sold on GB rather extensively. Be prepared for people who will hound you about accepting less than you want, who will try and say that you didn't describe the gun accurately once they receive it (in hopes of a partial refund), who will send a method of payment other than what you specified- thinking your instructions didn't really matter and you will accept whatever they send you, people who think that setting up the transfer with their receiving FFL is supposed to be the seller's job.... and/or who will bid but fail to pay. In short, selling online is a pain in the hind end.

But you are right, if you don't mind putting up with the nonsense, it is a way to get a better price than some other selling methods. Knowing how to word your listings, and what to list as terms of sale really helps. I always asked for USPS money orders, and never once had a forgery or fraudulent one sent to me. Not that it couldn't happen....
It's not saving any water if you have to flush it over and over....

Offline Old-Duckman

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2020, 03:59:26 PM »
I have not sold any guns online but have bought some off of GB but the best place I found is a local (statewide) forum. I don't know if your state has such a forum but I have met some sellers in person locally and one sent from the other side of the state. For the long distance sale we went through his local dealer simply for safety sake for both he and I. Just a thought, a more local forum might be a good choice.

I have never bought or sold on a brand specific forum (ex selling a Walther on a Walther forum). I don't mean to sound mercenary but members of a specific brand forum will be more up on just what "the right price" should be. If you are on a more generic forum you might have someone bite on a higher price than you would get on a brand specific forum. However guys on the brand specific site would most likely be more interested in your piece since they are already fans of that brand...Just my thoughts FWIW.

Offline gunbuster

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2020, 04:03:22 PM »
Second the concerns for selling on GB or AL.  However, why not post a list with prices, after you've taken pictures and decided on sale prices?  You can always accept personal checks to just require from buyer they wait until the funds clear before shipping.  It is better if you can accept credit card payments but if you are not set up or do not want to deal with the hassle, USPS MO or bank MO are the ways to go.

So on that note, have you compiled a list yet with prices and pictures?  If so, please let us know what you have.  Thanks!
WTB PM if you got any for sale:
CZ 75 SHORT RAIL (factory blued)
CZ 75 PRE-B (factory blued).