Author Topic: Cleaning new SP 01 Omega  (Read 992 times)

Offline earlybirdnj

Cleaning new SP 01 Omega
« on: January 21, 2020, 09:21:23 AM »
New member here.
Just purchased new SP 01 Omega and 2075 Rami.
What’s the best way to clean them prior to use?
Thanks in advance.
Earlybirdnj

Offline jurek

• NRA Pistol Instructor, RSO
Re: Cleaning new SP 01 Omega
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2020, 09:53:55 AM »
Nothing special with these firearms.
People use different methods:
- you can shoot right away doing nothing before...
- you can wipe them out from outside (remove original oil)
- you can field strip, clean, lube then shoot
- you can completely disassemble, clean, lube reassemble then shoot
and... what I'm doing:
- unbox, drown in Isopropyl Alcohol for 30 minutes; completely disassemble, clean, lube reassemble then shoot

I believe all methods give the same result... however I don't trust anyone and that's the reason I want to be 100% sure of firearm condition before I shoot it.
The goal is you need to be sure it is lubed properly.

Offline Rmach

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2020, 11:21:55 AM »
Field strip, wipe off factory oil, run the brush through the barrel, re-oil with gun oii. l always apply gun grease to the rails instead of oil, but oil is ok if you don't have grease.

Offline Nick1946

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2020, 11:54:51 AM »
I don't agree with not cleaning a new gun before shooting, especially the Rami.  That is asking for problems and then you are unhappy with the new gun.  I find that the Rami(i have no knowledge of the SP-01), needs a good cleaning of the rails with something like Hoppes #9 or a CLP and then some gun grease or oil on rails, etc.  It doesn't hurt to clean the mags inside either.  All my Rami mags get cleaned before use and am amazed at the red/brown gunk that comes out of them and they work without a hitch after cleaning.

Offline BStill

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2020, 11:59:14 AM »
For a brand new gun out of the box, I've read/seen (don't remember where/who) a recommendation to run the gun dry for a couple hundred rounds first, to let the contact surfaces mesh together naturally and work off any surface burrs, prior to lubing the gun.

Bad advice?

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

Offline Rmach

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2020, 01:53:19 PM »
For a brand new gun out of the box, I've read/seen (don't remember where/who) a recommendation to run the gun dry for a couple hundred rounds first, to let the contact surfaces mesh together naturally and work off any surface burrs, prior to lubing the gun.

Bad advice?

I don't agree with that advice at all.  Everything will eventually wear in just fine with oil and grease.

Offline Raining_Brass

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2020, 04:36:32 PM »

Bad advice?

Have been shooting for 15+ years. Never, ever heard of that. lol
Always a good idea to clean factory gunk off and lube with quality lube of choice prior to shooting a gun for the first time.

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2020, 05:53:09 PM »
Most of my CZs have been pretty clean out of the box.  One was definitely not.  Gooey, stringy, snotty looking stuff all over the parts.

Was the factory lube adequate?  I don't know, did they use a lubricant to shoot the pistol or a rust preventive coating to keep it looking good during shipment/storage prior to it being sold to it's new owner?

I vote field strip it, look it over, clean it, lube it with the gun oil you'll be using and then shoot it.  Then come home and repeat so you can keep an eye on how/what is wearing and insure it's ready if you need it.  I'm one of those guys who cleans the gun whether it gets 5 shots through it or 200 shots through it.  Mine are clean/ready when/if I need them for something besides punching holes in paper.  Hard to get a "do over" in real life.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

anything