Author Topic: Phantom for carry?  (Read 2223 times)

Offline Oldbear

Phantom for carry?
« on: January 15, 2020, 01:20:53 PM »
I’ve got a Shadow 2 that I shoot better than anything I own.   If it wasn’t so heavy, I’d likely be carrying it.   The Phantom is “close” dimension wise, and a good bit lighter.  How does the phantom shoot, and does anyone carry one of these bad boys?

Offline Raining_Brass

Re: Phantom for carry?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2020, 01:31:20 PM »
I’ve got a Shadow 2 that I shoot better than anything I own.   If it wasn’t so heavy, I’d likely be carrying it.   The Phantom is “close” dimension wise, and a good bit lighter.  How does the phantom shoot, and does anyone carry one of these bad boys?

Phantom shoots amazing. Never thought I'd say it, but I prefer it over my P-09 even.
I have carried my P-09 IWB before, so I don't think the Phantom is out of the question.

Offline Oldbear

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2020, 01:59:30 PM »
Thanks!  I’m thinking for carry owb, zero cant with a fairly “high” holster under a sweatshirt should work.  Been carrying a RAMI, and I really like it but sure can’t hit as well, esp at distance, as I can with the larger pistols.   

The Guardian

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2020, 07:15:23 PM »
I carry the Phantom, IWB mostly......hard to find a good, relatively cost effective leather (my preference :) ) OWB holster with zero cant (again my preference) is nearly impossible.  So I do it IWB along with a flush base pad to reduce printing.  Honestly it carries fine either way, once you get the set up you like....the reduced weight and full size factors are a great combo! 

The Guardian

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2020, 07:37:57 PM »
A second thought about this that has been mentioned before......a "Carry" Phantom, similar to a P01 in size....would be all over that pistol in a half a heartbeat  ;D

Offline Continental Op

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2020, 09:45:34 PM »
I totally agree on a P-01 sized Phantom!

Offline Oldbear

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2020, 09:49:54 PM »
I carry the Phantom, IWB mostly......hard to find a good, relatively cost effective leather (my preference :) ) OWB holster with zero cant (again my preference) is nearly impossible.  So I do it IWB along with a flush base pad to reduce printing.  Honestly it carries fine either way, once you get the set up you like....the reduced weight and full size factors are a great combo!
If you don’t mind, what holster are you using?

Offline viking499

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2020, 09:50:17 PM »

Wouldn't that be similar to the P-07?

The Guardian

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2020, 11:18:53 PM »

“Similar” is a fairly ambiguous term......all pistols are “similar” but having worked on CZ’s for many, many years.....a P09 and Phantom are quite different internally and externally. Aside from doing the same thing ultimately....it’s how they do it that is different and a great example of why there are different models of firearms within lines of firearms. Example being every car transports people but they are all made differently to accomplish that end. A “Carry” Phantom would not be the same as a P07. In fact IMHO it would be different enough to warrant being manufactured by CZ.  :)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 11:43:56 PM by The Guardian »

Offline viking499

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2020, 07:20:23 AM »

“Similar” is a fairly ambiguous term......all pistols are “similar” but having worked on CZ’s for many, many years.....a P09 and Phantom are quite different internally and externally. Aside from doing the same thing ultimately....it’s how they do it that is different and a great example of why there are different models of firearms within lines of firearms. Example being every car transports people but they are all made differently to accomplish that end. A “Carry” Phantom would not be the same as a P07. In fact IMHO it would be different enough to warrant being manufactured by CZ.  :)

I understand the externals and internals, I was just referring to size similarities.  I don't see CZ making a carry Phantom when there is a similar sized CZ already being made.  But, who knows, it is CZ and sometimes there is no rhyme or reason for make they make and don't make.

The Guardian

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2020, 10:47:53 AM »

This is a link to the IWB one I use for the Phantom, works really well and is comfortable, I’m not a fan of clipping to the belt so this style gives me the flexibility to deeper conceal if I want.....basically just more flexible and once in place it stays  :)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F78QTE6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For OWB I’m just using a universal pancake style holster until I find a decent leather style one I like, the zero cant makes an already challenging task even more so......been toying with just making one, we’ll see  ::)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 10:52:43 AM by The Guardian »

Offline Oldbear

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2020, 03:34:19 PM »
[/quote
This is a link to the IWB one I use for the Phantom, works really well and is comfortable, I’m not a fan of clipping to the belt so this style gives me the flexibility to deeper conceal if I want.....basically just more flexible and once in place it stays  :)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F78QTE6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For OWB I’m just using a universal pancake style holster until I find a decent leather style one I like, the zero cant makes an already challenging task even more so......been toying with just making one, we’ll see  ::)
Thanks for the link!

Offline eastman

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2020, 10:53:13 PM »
I understand the externals and internals, I was just referring to size similarities.  I don't see CZ making a carry Phantom when there is a similar sized CZ already being made.  But, who knows, it is CZ and sometimes there is no rhyme or reason for make they make and don't make.

The full-sized Phantom has been discontinued again (according to the CZ-USA website), so they probably aren't likely to make a Phantom compact now.
I don't look like my avatar!

The Guardian

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2020, 11:47:34 PM »
The full-sized Phantom has been discontinued again (according to the CZ-USA website), so they probably aren't likely to make a Phantom compact now.

it’s on the “Discontinued” list, but for 2013.....not the current production runs.....it’s still being made in 2020 at least  ;)

Offline eastman

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2020, 08:22:00 PM »

it’s on the “Discontinued” list, but for 2013.....not the current production runs.....it’s still being made in 2020 at least  ;)

look again -

https://cz-usa.com/product-category/discontinued/

right next to the picture of the CZ75 SP-01 Phantom "discontinued 2013" is another picture of a CZ75 SP-01 Phantom "discontinued 2019"
I don't look like my avatar!