Author Topic: Pepper Spray Recomendations  (Read 1909 times)

Offline steerclr

Pepper Spray Recomendations
« on: January 15, 2020, 08:27:07 PM »
To All,

I know we have several LEO on the forum. My collage age daughter just had the self defense pepper spray, which I bought her years ago, taken at the gate when see tried to enter a college basketball game.

Internet reviews seem to show problems with brakeage and operation and they lack the ability on how to compare types/brands.  If anyone has any thoughts, please post.

Ron M.

Re: Pepper Spray Recomendations
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2020, 08:47:27 PM »
The Kimber Pepper Blaster has a very good reputation. My mother was forced used one on a drunk and belligerent college student, it was very effective. The responding police officer did advise my (at the time) 78 year old mother not to use the second shot after the idiot was down.

Offline jurek

• NRA Pistol Instructor, RSO
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2020, 08:47:42 PM »
I've been using Sabre Pepper Spray, but don't like "trigger" safety feature.
I've heard a lot of posotives about POM OC Spray
https://get-pom.com/
They even have "water" spray for practice.
This is going my next OC Spray for sure.

Offline steerclr

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2020, 06:14:38 PM »
Thanks for the feedback.

Offline Grendel

• Administrator
  • 'Live Long, and Prosper'
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2020, 07:34:49 PM »
On duty, I carried 'Freeze +P' spray which was a mixture of CS/OC. Came in a 2oz spray with a protective cap to prevent triggering it in error. It hurts like a bastard.

You can buy it on Amazon  Here.

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges - Tacitus

Inter arma enim silent leges - Cicero

I wasn't born in America, but I got here as fast as I could.

Offline Hemiscorpius lepturus

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2020, 03:44:51 AM »
If you want something that can take down a 300lb linebacker on meth, look no further than Defense Technology red band, it has the highest level of active ingredients, 1.3% OC and 2.0% CS (double freeze+p) and comes in sizes 2 through 4

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
  • Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2020, 04:54:20 AM »
The Kimber Pepper Blaster has a very good reputation. My mother was forced used one on a drunk and belligerent college student, it was very effective.

This is what I've understood for several years, and this is the product I suggested that all my nieces get and carry. This solution has several vital differences...

• This is not projected by pressure inside a can. It is not an aerosol spray. There is no pressure to "loose" or "leak" over time. The CS is propelled by the same primers found in a firearms cartridge. As such, it is: 1) always ready, and 2) the higher pressures involved allow the product to cover larger distances. So you can effectively use it from further away. You don't need to wait until the attacker is within your personal space.

• The product comes out as a gell, and so (unlike a gas or mist) it adheres to the skin and clothing of the attacker. Where upon the attacker's natural reaction is to wipe/rub the product, which usually smears the product over a greater area and intensifies the results.

These are available on Amazon for $35, with the translucent palm-sized "derringer" housing available in light red or gray, in 3 different easy to grasp and conceal shapes.

https://www.kimberamerica.com/pepper-blaster

No matter which product you choose, these "CS" type products have major advantages over firearms and edged weapons....

• They are purely defensive weapons, therefore no license or training is required. They can generally be taken into attacker-rich, "gun-free" zones, like public transport, school zones, and college campuses.
• Because they are not lethal weapons there is no need to allow a suspect to "get in close" and allow the attack to unfold. The defendant can literally "shoot first and ask questions later". If it's a case of mistaken identity, then the second party is completely unharmed and ready to "resume their life" in 20 minutes. This while the defendant has adequate time to make their escape to safety.
• Secondly, because they are not lethal weapons the burden of proof is substantially lowered for the defendant. No LEO is going to charge a 120 lb woman if she says, "the 200 lb attacker approached in a suspicions and menacing way, and I feared for my personal safety." That's a "feeling" that cannot be quantified. What possible defense can be offered by a possible attacker when weight, height, or age differences and advantages could/would be so plainly obvious. Compare that scenario to using a defensive handgun where an attacker's weapon has to be found, or a verbal threat and physical movement need to be witnessed by 3rd parties to uphold the burden of proof requirement.

;)
In God we trust; On 'Starting Load' we rely.

Offline steerclr

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2020, 04:56:45 PM »
More good info, Thanks.

Offline Ipleathe2nd

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2020, 02:08:59 AM »
More good info, Thanks.

I have been sprayed with Defense technology for work and it works very well. Sabre is another good brand, but have not been sprayed with it.

Offline crosstimbers

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2020, 03:47:39 PM »
I wouldn't recommend any given brand or container/dispenser, but I will say that pepper spray can fail to stop an aggressor from time to time. Im not talking about cheap stuff either. Still, I think the spray is a good defensive tool. Whatever she gets, change it out from time to time.
It's not saving any water if you have to flush it over and over....

Offline Ipleathe2nd

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2020, 06:14:41 PM »
I wouldn't recommend any given brand or container/dispenser, but I will say that pepper spray can fail to stop an aggressor from time to time. Im not talking about cheap stuff either. Still, I think the spray is a good defensive tool. Whatever she gets, change it out from time to time.

Pepper spray's main goal is to slow down the attacker enough for the person to get away or in LE for the officers to go hands on to make an arrest. You are right about pepper spray failing and not working on some people.

Offline Rotorflyr66

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2020, 05:01:30 AM »
I will say that pepper spray can fail to stop an aggressor from time to time. Im not talking about cheap stuff either. Still, I think the spray is a good defensive tool. Whatever she gets, change it out from time to time.

Pepper spray's main goal is to slow down the attacker enough for the person to get away or in LE for the officers to go hands on to make an arrest. You are right about pepper spray failing and not working on some people.

True statements, but we should also remember that bullets have failed to stop aggressors (quickly enough) from time to time as well
(and I'm not talking about misses either)

Having said that, (and I'm not making a specific recommendation) locally one dept that I'm aware of carries Sabre and another uses Freeze +p
A friend (from years ago) who was NYPD used to carry Sabre (on and off duty)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 05:05:37 AM by Rotorflyr66 »

Offline Gunnerdad80

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2020, 04:00:35 PM »
My wife likes to run so I just bought her the SABRE RED Pepper Gel Spray for runners on Amazon. ASIN: B002E6RERU. It’s great for up-close attacks. Since it’s a gel it’s far less likely to blow back in her face. It’s really small in the hand and comes with an adjustable hand strap or it can be put in a pocket. It also says it provides up to 35 bursts.

Offline Ipleathe2nd

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2020, 07:36:28 PM »
I will say that pepper spray can fail to stop an aggressor from time to time. Im not talking about cheap stuff either. Still, I think the spray is a good defensive tool. Whatever she gets, change it out from time to time.

True statements, but we should also remember that bullets have failed to stop aggressors (quickly enough) from time to time as well
(and I'm not talking about misses either)

Having said that, (and I'm not making a specific recommendation) locally one dept that I'm aware of carries Sabre and another uses Freeze +p
A friend (from years ago) who was NYPD used to carry Sabre (on and off duty)
Agreed

Offline Ipleathe2nd

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2020, 07:38:33 PM »
My wife likes to run so I just bought her the SABRE RED Pepper Gel Spray for runners on Amazon. ASIN: B002E6RERU. It’s great for up-close attacks. Since it’s a gel it’s far less likely to blow back in her face. It’s really small in the hand and comes with an adjustable hand strap or it can be put in a pocket. It also says it provides up to 35 bursts.

I have no experience with gel pepper spray, but I have read mixed reviews on both. Some swear by them while others say the regular pepper spray is better.