Author Topic: Can you top load a CZ 557?  (Read 1290 times)

Offline Austro

Can you top load a CZ 557?
« on: January 16, 2020, 06:28:48 PM »
Or can the (10 round) magazine only be loaded when detached from the rifle?

If top loading is possible: Can stripper clips be used?

I hope someone can clear this up for me. :-)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 06:38:59 PM by Austro »

Online crosstimbers

Re: Can you top load a CZ 557?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2020, 09:46:59 AM »
I don't know about a detachable mag, but my 557 in 6.5x55 has a hinged floorplate and can only be loaded by top-loading.
It's not saving any water if you have to flush it over and over....

Offline AZ_CZ

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2020, 05:34:41 PM »
Comes in 2 versions.

I don't have one but dang if it doesn't read like you load while the mag is in the action. I'm not sure I've ever seen that before. :o

https://cdn.cz-usa.com/hammer/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/CZ-557-Owners-Manual.pdf

Magazine version
Open the bolt by raising the bolt handle and pulling it to it’s rearmost position. Replace the magazine. Place a cartridge on the follower and press it downward into the magazine box until it snaps behind the magazine mouth. Place the next cartridge on top of the previous one, and push in as described above. When the magazine box is loaded, push the bolt firmly to its forward position, and rotate the bolt handle in a downward movement to close the bolt. This procedure inserts a cartridge into the chamber, and cocks the striking mechanism. The rifle is now ready to fire. If you do not intend to fire immediately ensure the safety of the firearm is applied as described further in the section The Safety and its Operation.
CZ Fanbot since 1996

Offline Austro

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2020, 09:43:16 AM »
First of all thank you to both of you. I would love to top load the 557 (Range Rifle) but I'm afraid it won't work because the ejection port looks so small compared to the 557s without the box magazines. Maybe the .308 cartridge won't even fit into the ejection port: It seems it is dimensioned for the ejection of spent shells only which are of course shorter than live rounds.