Author Topic: Slide milling questions  (Read 1308 times)

Offline Madger

Slide milling questions
« on: January 19, 2020, 10:38:03 AM »
I’m going to be sending out my PO-7 soon to have my slide milled & refinished for a Holosun 508T with BUIS. The rear sight will be milled behind the optic. I would like a lower 1/3 cowitness if possible so as to keep the sight picture uncluttered. My questions are
1) Does anyone know who does 1/3 cowitness? (Primary Machine, CGW, CZC, others?)
2) How close to the original black nitride finish is the black nitride refinishing?
3) Most companies like Primary Machine seem to mill for your specific optic. If some day I had to replace the optic, would another 508, RMR, SRO fit into the slot milled for the original optic?
Thanks in advance if anyone can answer.
In dog beers I only had one.

CZ 75B Matte Stainless, CZ 97B, CZ Rami BD, Kadet 2, CZ 455 American 22lr, CZ Canvasback Gold 12g, Beretta 686 Onyx Pro Trap 12g

Offline Vinny

Re: Slide milling questions
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2020, 09:26:43 AM »
I’m going to be sending out my PO-7 soon to have my slide milled & refinished for a Holosun 508T with BUIS. The rear sight will be milled behind the optic. I would like a lower 1/3 cowitness if possible so as to keep the sight picture uncluttered. My questions are
1) Does anyone know who does 1/3 cowitness? (Primary Machine, CGW, CZC, others?)
2) How close to the original black nitride finish is the black nitride refinishing?
3) Most companies like Primary Machine seem to mill for your specific optic. If some day I had to replace the optic, would another 508, RMR, SRO fit into the slot milled for the original optic?
Thanks in advance if anyone can answer.
You're asking good questions: Might be best to ask CGW, CZC, PM to evaluate all your options?
But I can only offer a few thoughts in reverse order:
3. Primary mills for the specific optic. This limits any chance of movement, but also limits any chance of switching to a different model even within the same brand. This has both pros and cons.
2. Have you considered going with CZ Customs multi-optic plate? CGW also can offer this. Their process preserves the factory nitride.
1. DPpro offers an (optional) rear iron with windage/elevation adjustment. But it is a large optic however durable.  I've heard good things about Holosun, especially 507c
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 12:45:31 PM by Vinny »
"Fear is a reaction, Courage is a decision"
"Carpe Diem"

Offline Madger

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2020, 06:16:40 PM »
Thanks for your reply Vinny.
I had purchased the Holosun 508T previously, so I already have the optic in hand. I have only reached out to Primary so far & Bruce responded promptly that their cowitness is slightly below absolute. When I asked him about a different optic with the same footprint later on he responded just pop it out and put the new one in but I’m not so sure that would work if the slide was milled specifically for the original optic.
Do you know how CZC Mills & installs the adapter plate while maintaining the OEM finish?
Hopefully some other forum members will chime in and be able to answer some of my previous questions and in the meantime I will reach out to several other companies and report back here.

CZ 75B Matte Stainless, CZ 97B, CZ Rami BD, Kadet 2, CZ 455 American 22lr, CZ Canvasback Gold 12g, Beretta 686 Onyx Pro Trap 12g

Offline Togmaster

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2020, 08:12:20 PM »
Had my P10 c slide done by Jagerwerks recently for an RMR. They added absolute cowitness sights with the rear sight in front of the optic and a black nitride finish. I was very pleased how everything turned out, especially the finish.
Let's go Brandon!

Offline Madger

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2020, 08:35:06 PM »
Togmaster,
Thanks for your reply and glad everything turned out well for you.
Do they only offer absolute cowitness or do you know if they offer lower 1/3 cowitness?
How close to the OEM nitride finish is their nitride refinishing?

Offline Togmaster

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2020, 08:07:26 AM »
Togmaster,
Thanks for your reply and glad everything turned out well for you.
Do they only offer absolute cowitness or do you know if they offer lower 1/3 cowitness?
How close to the OEM nitride finish is their nitride refinishing?

As far as I know the only option Jagerwerks offers on the web site is 100% cowitness. They use black Dawson sights which I prefer.  You could inquire and see if they will install shorter sights or just order the slide without sights and buy/install your own. The nitride finish is really close to OEM.  You would have to hold it next to an OEM slide to tell the difference.
Let's go Brandon!

Offline Madger

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2020, 11:30:23 AM »
Thanks Togmaster.
Good info on the slide finishing. I’ll contact JagerWerks to see if they will do lower sights.

anything