Author Topic: Cajunized SP-01 vs Shadow 2  (Read 522 times)

Offline lsj74

Cajunized SP-01 vs Shadow 2
« on: January 21, 2020, 01:44:12 PM »
I have a Cajunized SP01 thats been converted to SAO and I'm considering getting a  Shadow 2 but someone told me that I'm better off sticking to the SP01.
I don't compete so this is strictly just for my own pleasure and entertainment.
Anyone have experience with these 2 that can give me an insight?
The SP01 has a paddle trigger, race hammer, night sights and some or all the springs have been switched out to lighten the trigger pull.

Offline 2morechains

Re: Cajunized SP-01 vs Shadow 2
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2020, 04:09:56 PM »
Sounds like you have your SP-01 set up the way you like it.  What are you looking to get out of the Shadow 2?  If you just want to add one to the collection I can totally understand that. 

I used to have a SP-01 Shadow.  Shot it for a while in competition but eventually sold it when I switched to another division.  It was a fun pistol, but we never really bonded.   I bought a Shadow 2 a little over a year ago and have been shooting it pretty steady since (yeah, we bonded)

IMO, the main difference between the two is the ergonomics.  The SP-01 was fine, but the beavertail rubbed the web of my hand a little during multi-day high round count shoots and I didn’t like the extended safeties. The Shadow 2 just fits my hand better, no rub, flat safeties, and the addition of the front and rear checkering is a nice touch.  Also a little more weight forward helps with managing the recoil at speed.   

You can set both of them up to have a really nice trigger, so can’t really say one’s trigger is better than the other.  The Shadow 2 does have a longer sight radius, but it’s not a significant increase. The Shadow 2 is 4-ish ounces heavier than the SP-01, which is good for shooting but not for carrying. 

My suggestion is to rent or borrow a Shadow 2, shoot it, and see if it speaks to you.  If not, stick with your SP-01. 

Offline lsj74

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2020, 06:49:57 PM »
I'm mostly just trying to get better.  I'm actually looking at selling a few of my handguns and having just 2 or 3 really nice pistols.
So far I'm thinking of the  Dan Wesson DWX,  Shadow 2 and Dan Wesson Valor.
If I don't really gain anything by getting the Shadow I see no reason to get it.

Offline anonymouscuban

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2020, 07:00:43 PM »
I agree with @2morechains ... it comes down to personal preference/fit/feel.

I have shot both and I prefer the SP-01. I shoot it in competition. I have mine tuned to the point that the action is better than a stock S2 and on par with a tuned one with the exception of the slightly shorter reset of the S2, which is negligible and I actually don't like such a short reset.

The fit in my hand of the SP-01 is better for me personally. I also prefer the balance of the weight on the SP-01 over the S2. I don't like the extra weight over the muzzle of the S2. It does help fight recoil but it slows down my transitions. It's a trade off. For me, I can manage the recoil of my SP-01 well so the extra weight is no benefit to me.

The checkering on front and back strap of the S2 is better for sure. But I just added grip tape to these areas which works quite well for me.

As 2morechains said, if you simply want to add another pistol to your lineup then go for it. If not, I think the differences are gonna be too subtle to determine unless you shoot both. If you had a stock SP-01 then the difference are more extreme, specifically with the action. But you have a tuned SAO SP-01. I wouldn't be surprised that your SP-01's action is better than the SA action of an S2.

Not very helpful, I guess but my honest input.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 07:06:24 PM by anonymouscuban »

Offline anonymouscuban

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2020, 07:02:48 PM »
I'm mostly just trying to get better.  I'm actually looking at selling a few of my handguns and having just 2 or 3 really nice pistols.
If I don't really gain anything by getting the Shadow I see no reason to get it.
Do you truly want to become a better shooter or do you want to find a pistol that is easier to shoot and masks the issues in your fundamentals?

Offline lsj74

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2020, 09:02:21 PM »
Do you truly want to become a better shooter or do you want to find a pistol that is easier to shoot and masks the issues in your fundamentals?

I'm not new to shooting.  I know that a different gun doesn't fix any issues I may have with the fundamentals.
I'm just trying to figure out if it's worth spending $1200 on it. It's a part my desire for improvement and part my obsession with CZ pistols and firearms in general.

Offline anonymouscuban

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2020, 12:38:34 AM »

I'm not new to shooting.  I know that a different gun doesn't fix any issues I may have with the fundamentals.
I'm just trying to figure out if it's worth spending $1200 on it. It's a part my desire for improvement and part my obsession with CZ pistols and firearms in general.
I didn't mean anything by my reply but your reply says you would like to improve.  I think you already have a great CZ pistol that is more than capable. Especially with the upgrades you have installed.

Is getting the S2 worth $1200? Only you can decide that.

I stand by my recommendation that you first try to shoot the S2 before you commit to a purchase. That is the most sound approach,  I think, considering the information you've provided.

Offline lsj74

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2020, 03:47:18 AM »
I didn't mean anything by my reply but your reply says you would like to improve.  I think you already have a great CZ pistol that is more than capable. Especially with the upgrades you have installed.

Is getting the S2 worth $1200? Only you can decide that.

I stand by my recommendation that you first try to shoot the S2 before you commit to a purchase. That is the most sound approach,  I think, considering the information you've provided.

I didn't take your comment in a negative way nor did I intend my reply to be harsh. 
I understand what you're saying.  Simple text does a poor job of portraying tone of voice or mood.
I'm leaning more towards just keeping my SP01 since I have gotten pretty good with it. I can leave a jagged hole at 7 yards and my group at 10 yards keeps getting smaller so might as well keep it.
I don't know of anyone in my area that owns  Shadow2  and the only range that has rentals close to me doesn't have one for rent.
Now to try to find a Dan Wesson DWX.

Offline Phlyers13

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2020, 06:17:57 AM »
I have both and love both. My Sp-01(Cajun pro package) is also threaded which I typically only shoot suppressed so it serves its own purpose in my lineup. The Shadow 2 is the better shooter of the 2 but not by much. The Shadow 2 fits me more naturally than the Sp-01. Given you are looking to pair down, you should probably stick with what you have, but I agree that you should eventually get your hands on a Shadow and make the decision for yourself.

Offline scroadkill

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2020, 07:27:47 AM »
I have  a SP01 shadow SAO cts with huge CZC magwell,  race hammer and extra wide left hand safety, lok palmswells, and a few layer skate tape on the front strap that is getting really close to the trigger and ergos of my TSOs. apart from just a bit of width in the frame its hard to tell the difference... and the SP01 shoots bleep well..   I have my son set up with it for limited minor... it also serves as my outlaw gun when I dont want to put more miles on my TSOs.. or im running low on 40 handloads and want to run limited minor.

point is the SP01 is great frame for small/medium hands.

the shadow 2 frame is a bit larger and a bit more nose heavy. mine just sits in the gun safe incase I ever want to take up production. they are amazing production guns.

Offline Wideload

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2020, 08:55:00 AM »
As others have already stated, it's a personal preference/what fits you the best (both in terms of ergos/weight and your finances) thing.

Have you considered changing your sights on your SP01  before taking the $1200 leap for S2?  Replacing our night sights with a set of competition sights may improve your shooting for a lot less than a new gun.

Offline Ironhand

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2020, 11:32:17 AM »
I have both.  I can hold my own with friends who shoot professionally (the scary bearded type with no name tags  ;)), but am by no means a pro shooter.  I can see where the S2 is "better," and I tend to shoot it more accurately, but I am sure that more time behind the SP01 and some technique improvement could tip the scales.

Offline lsj74

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2020, 11:46:18 AM »
I'll hold on to it.
If the DW DWX takes it's place I can debate selling it but for now it's a keeper.
This is a 10 shot group at 7 yards.

Offline newageroman

• BrassBucket.net - buy/sell/trade for free - site owner
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2020, 10:26:25 AM »
Just got a LNIB S2 and I can tell you my Cajun SAO 75B convert is way better trigger than the S2 in SA.

Just depends on what you want to shoot. If its USPSA then division determines SAO or DA/SA. I will always prefer SAO in that setting (limited div), so the S2 is not my top gun in that setting. But it is the #1 production div gun (your 01 SAO is out due to mods), so yes it fits the bill.

I'm stuck at an impass. looking to jump from limited minor to open major using old 75B heavily tuned, working up an 01 like you have, or trading the S2 into a TS or TSO. decisions decisions…

I'm a tinkerer, so most likely will build the 75B or stock 01 up to shoot major.

75B-SAO-USPSA gun, SP-01

http://brassbucket.net/ - buy/sell/trade for free - site owner

http://brassbucket.net/ace-digital-brass-trim-kit/" - Ace Digital Brass Trim Kit - low cost rifle brass trimming for D650 and SS presses