Author Topic: UMC's shorter. Why?  (Read 3290 times)

Offline tominblaine

UMC's shorter. Why?
« on: April 25, 2004, 11:33:43 AM »
I haven't had any failures with my CZ for the last few (at least) outings.  :p   Probably 300 rounds or so.  I have put about 200 rounds of UMC's (a value type pack of 250 rounds) and the other 100 or so with both Blazer Brass and PMC's.

While comparing the 3 brands today I noticed the UMC's casing is the same height as the other two but the bullet is quite a bit (relatively) shorter making it an overall shorter round.

Is that the design of the bullet and how it sits in the casing or do you think it's not a full 115 grain?

Typically, would a shorter round feed better or worse than a longer one?

Thanks - Tom

Offline stans

UMC's shorter. Why?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2004, 05:34:20 PM »
I am sure it is a full 115 grains.  Bullets, even FMJ, do differ in design, so that could be a part of the difference.  Also, different manufacturers load to different lengths.  Whether or not a shorter round will feed better depends on the individual gun.

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
UMC's shorter. Why?
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2004, 10:17:50 PM »
I have noticed that the 115 grn Remington Bullets sold on the Reloading Market have a blunter profile.  Apparently, they took their 124 grn 9mm bullet and clipped 9 grains worth off the nose.  This does give a consistant length of bullet shank with which to engage the barrel rifling with.  The typical Cartridge OAL for the 115 grain FMJ offerings is typically around 1.135 and the 124 grain FMJ's is 1.15.  Not a lot of difference and should not hinder feeding.  A lot of JHP's are loaded even shorter than that, as their designs have longer bullet shanks.  Another good reason to test your defensive ammunition to make sure it feeds.  I have tested most all of my 9mm pistols (except the Luger) with JHP's weighing from 90 to 147 grains.  All fed fine!
"Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"