Author Topic: I just brought home a new Shadow 2 Orange.  (Read 1580 times)

Offline Rmach

I just brought home a new Shadow 2 Orange.
« on: January 25, 2020, 03:29:39 PM »
The gun was clean and lightly oiled, but I always disassemble, inspect, wipe down and add my oil and grease before the first range visit.  The extra plastic recoil buffers that came in the case are all black, two are thin and two thicker, a thin one was installed from the factory. The slide to frame fit is excellent The sticker date on the case said late December 2019, D serial number.

The trigger feels about 3lbs in SA and ~9lbs in DA.  It's very smooth and crisp, but there is a tiny bit of creep just before the break. Pre-travel is maybe an 1/8" with an 1/8" or less reset.

I first thought the barrel bushing was threaded and unscrewed, but that is not the case. A quarter turn and it comes right out.

A month ago or so, I first noticed the orange trim on the S2 Orange was a shade darker than the SP-01 Orange.  You can see that in the picture of my Aussie SP-01 Orange next to the S2 Orange.  I like the darker shade.

That's about it before I head off to the range

« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 03:54:04 PM by Rmach »
CZ Shadow 2 Orange, S2 urban gray, S2 black and blue, 3 polished stainless 75b's and a black 75b all with MCARBO kits and front Dawson FO.

Offline safinsd

Re: I just brought home a new Shadow 2 Orange.
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2020, 06:11:31 PM »
Your gun is a real looker. I like the orange. Since they're hard to find here in Cali I ended up with the urban gray. I'm in the 10 day period now. It's used but doesn't look like it's been fired. It's my first CZ. Lots to learn and the owner's manual is lean, so I'm rummaging through the forum for info.
https://safinsd.smugmug.com/Interesting-Firearms/i-TFCZJbt/A

Offline Rmach

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2020, 11:25:39 AM »
Your gun is a real looker. I like the orange. Since they're hard to find here in Cali I ended up with the urban gray. I'm in the 10 day period now. It's used but doesn't look like it's been fired. It's my first CZ. Lots to learn and the owner's manual is lean, so I'm rummaging through the forum for info.
https://safinsd.smugmug.com/Interesting-Firearms/i-TFCZJbt/A

Thanks, the S2 in urban grey looks great IMO.  I have one.
CZ Shadow 2 Orange, S2 urban gray, S2 black and blue, 3 polished stainless 75b's and a black 75b all with MCARBO kits and front Dawson FO.

Offline Rmach

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2020, 01:51:53 PM »
Today is the one week anniversary since I picked op the S2O, and so far, I ran 900 rounds through it. The slide to frame hand fitment was a tad too tight to cycle the first 90rds.  Addiing grease to the rails before the first range trip slowed down the slide just enough to keep it from going into full battery. Anyway, grease removed and rails cleaned solved that issue, and the remaining 810rds cycled and fired perfectly.

The S2O got it's first thorough cleaning today and everything looked fine. This is the finest handgun I have ever fired.  During cleaning, I gave the barrel bushing and recoil spring bushing a little extra polishing (exterior only). 

« Last Edit: February 01, 2020, 01:55:56 PM by Rmach »

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2020, 03:13:38 PM »
Ooh shiny! I like it.

Offline Rmach

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2020, 07:57:48 PM »
One last comment on the Shadow 2 Orange.  I said this before: this is the finest handgun I have ever fired. If you are wondering if this gun worth $2000, IMO, yeah it really is worth it. The tight hand fitment, trigger feel, accuracy, reliability, and overall balance will undoubtedly surpass your expectations. CZ really blew this one out of the park IMO.

Offline falar

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2020, 09:15:17 PM »
I love mine as well but feel the value isn't really there considering you can buy two Shadow 2s for the price of a Shadow 2 Orange.  The trigger is almost identical (sample size personally of 3 Oranges I've owned vs 2 regular Shadow 2s) and you'd have to put the gun in a vise to see the accuracy difference the bushing and hand fitting provides.

Great gun but not worth double the price of a standard Shadow 2 for most people I'd wager.  I think the TSO is a great value though as I see them routinely just under 1600 lately.

Offline Rmach

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2020, 09:30:24 PM »
I love mine as well but feel the value isn't really there considering you can buy two Shadow 2s for the price of a Shadow 2 Orange.  The trigger is almost identical (sample size personally of 3 Oranges I've owned vs 2 regular Shadow 2s) and you'd have to put the gun in a vise to see the accuracy difference the bushing and hand fitting provides.

Great gun but not worth double the price of a standard Shadow 2 for most people I'd wager.  I think the TSO is a great value though as I see them routinely just under 1600 lately.

I guess that depends on what you paid for the S2O.  My cost was under $1800 delivered to my FFL.

Offline falar

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2020, 09:35:18 PM »
I got two for about that price but the the first one I did have to pay 1899 since it was from the first batch.

Picked up my standard S2s for 949 shipped on GB.

From the description I really expected a fully different trigger and not an identical DA pull with 1/8 to 1/4 lb difference in SA with an almost imperceptible difference in reset.

Offline Rmach

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2020, 10:00:37 PM »
I got two for about that price but the the first one I did have to pay 1899 since it was from the first batch.

Picked up my standard S2s for 949 shipped on GB.

From the description I really expected a fully different trigger and not an identical DA pull with 1/8 to 1/4 lb difference in SA with an almost imperceptible difference in reset.

You did very well on the price.  I agree, the regular S2 trigger, fitment and accuracy is excellent, but the S2O is just another step higher in each category IMO. 

Offline falar

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2020, 11:41:45 PM »
And a small nitpick----I wish they identified which slides were going to S2 Orange guns earlier in the manufacturing process so they didn't get the unnecessary hole drilled for the non-existant roll pin would would normally hold in the front sight and bushing on a standard gun.

Having that hole there for no reason triggers my OCD.

Offline timmy75

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2020, 03:44:24 AM »
im curious what is 10 shot group size @25m (27y) with S2O?
i can do 2.625" with regular S2.

here in europe where i live regular S2 is 1200€ and S2O is 2200€. IMO not worth 1000€.

it would be nice they have added something more for 1000 euros.
list:
1. optional thinner front sight (easy to replace without drilling in S2O)
2. fully adjustable rear sight
3. better grips. right now only color is orange vs. blue/black
4. sear cage fitting like in TSO (springs)
5. at least 4 magazines instead 3
6. even more springs (main 9-15, recoil 9-15, trigger reduced)
7. left and right extended safety, left and right thin safety
8. thin slide stop x2, regular slide stop x2
9. floating trigger pin
10. optic ready cut

Offline Rmach

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2020, 06:02:49 PM »
And a small nitpick----I wish they identified which slides were going to S2 Orange guns earlier in the manufacturing process so they didn't get the unnecessary hole drilled for the non-existant roll pin would would normally hold in the front sight and bushing on a standard gun.

Having that hole there for no reason triggers my OCD.

I agree with you on that.  I'm glad mine does not have the useless roll pin hole.

Offline jmohme

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2020, 06:21:18 PM »

I agree with what you say.
I recently bought a Shadow 2 with the blue grips. I kept going back and forth between it and the Shadow 2 Orange.
It wasn't that I could not afford the orange. it was just I could not see the advantage it would provide me so I went with the blue and couldn't be more pleased.
Maybe if I hone my skills more with the blue, I might lay down the cash for a CZ farther up in the product line.

I did get to handle an AO 1. It almost made the Ben Franklins fall out of my pocket!

Offline Rmach

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2020, 07:05:38 PM »

I agree with what you say.
I recently bought a Shadow 2 with the blue grips. I kept going back and forth between it and the Shadow 2 Orange.
It wasn't that I could not afford the orange. it was just I could not see the advantage it would provide me so I went with the blue and couldn't be more pleased.
Maybe if I hone my skills more with the blue, I might lay down the cash for a CZ farther up in the product line.

I did get to handle an AO 1. It almost made the Ben Franklins fall out of my pocket!

The blue grips are ok, but the grey grips are awesome: