Author Topic: I just brought home a new Shadow 2 Orange.  (Read 1586 times)

Offline lima 456

Re: I just brought home a new Shadow 2 Orange.
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2020, 07:19:16 PM »
like those gray grips, might have to spring for a set.
have black and red i swap out on my blue 2, like to have the new cz gold,
but i am happy with my black and blue.

Offline falar

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2020, 09:48:51 PM »
And a small nitpick----I wish they identified which slides were going to S2 Orange guns earlier in the manufacturing process so they didn't get the unnecessary hole drilled for the non-existant roll pin would would normally hold in the front sight and bushing on a standard gun.

Having that hole there for no reason triggers my OCD.

I agree with you on that.  I'm glad mine does not have the useless roll pin hole.

WHAT!  Did they change that for later production S2 Oranges?  All three of three of the ones I've had still had the hole.

EDIT:  I now see in your pics your gun doesn't have that hole.  I'm going to sell both of the ones I have now and acquire two without the hole.

Its gonna be a pain, most GB sellers only use stock photos.  Strange that yours also has the 17rd mags.  The third and highest SN sequence gun I acquired had 19rd mags with large orange basepads.

Offline falar

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2020, 09:50:25 PM »
I love mine as well but feel the value isn't really there considering you can buy two Shadow 2s for the price of a Shadow 2 Orange.  The trigger is almost identical (sample size personally of 3 Oranges I've owned vs 2 regular Shadow 2s) and you'd have to put the gun in a vise to see the accuracy difference the bushing and hand fitting provides.

Great gun but not worth double the price of a standard Shadow 2 for most people I'd wager.  I think the TSO is a great value though as I see them routinely just under 1600 lately.

I agree with what you say.
I recently bought a Shadow 2 with the blue grips. I kept going back and forth between it and the Shadow 2 Orange.
It wasn't that I could not afford the orange. it was just I could not see the advantage it would provide me so I went with the blue and couldn't be more pleased.
Maybe if I hone my skills more with the blue, I might lay down the cash for a CZ farther up in the product line.

I did get to handle an AO 1. It almost made the Ben Franklins fall out of my pocket!

The blue grips are ok, but the grey grips are awesome:

Nice I have those same color grips on a Shadow 1.

Offline Rmach

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2020, 10:02:55 AM »
And a small nitpick----I wish they identified which slides were going to S2 Orange guns earlier in the manufacturing process so they didn't get the unnecessary hole drilled for the non-existant roll pin would would normally hold in the front sight and bushing on a standard gun.

Having that hole there for no reason triggers my OCD.

I agree with you on that.  I'm glad mine does not have the useless roll pin hole.

WHAT!  Did they change that for later production S2 Oranges?  All three of three of the ones I've had still had the hole.

EDIT:  I now see in your pics your gun doesn't have that hole.  I'm going to sell both of the ones I have now and acquire two without the hole.

Its gonna be a pain, most GB sellers only use stock photos.  Strange that yours also has the 17rd mags.  The third and highest SN sequence gun I acquired had 19rd mags with large orange basepads.

My serial# is D041xxx just to give you a reference if you decide to get another without the roll pin hole. I wanted the standard capacity orange basepads.  The extra capacity pads look a bit too large IMO.
CZ Shadow 2 Orange, S2 urban gray, S2 black and blue, 3 polished stainless 75b's and a black 75b all with MCARBO kits and front Dawson FO.

Offline falar

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2020, 10:52:08 AM »
One of the reasons I'm not a fan of the superfluous hole is that while the CZC bushing is obviously not the same as the CZ-UB one used on the S2O I did find two threads here where people reported a crack on their Accushadow 2 running from the roll pin hole to the front of the muzzle opening.  Since the hole in the muzzle end of the slide gets opened up to accept the larger bushing this means that there is then less "meat" in this area of the slide between the muzzle and the roll pin hole.

Probably a non issue 995 out of 1000 times but I'm a prisoner to OCD.

Offline Rmach

« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2020, 11:22:08 AM »
One of the reasons I'm not a fan of the superfluous hole is that while the CZC bushing is obviously not the same as the CZ-UB one used on the S2O I did find two threads here where people reported a crack on their Accushadow 2 running from the roll pin hole to the front of the muzzle opening.  Since the hole in the muzzle end of the slide gets opened up to accept the larger bushing this means that there is then less "meat" in this area of the slide between the muzzle and the roll pin hole.

I understand, and I would probably feel the same way as you do, but I don't think you should worry about cracking since the earlier accu-bushings were threaded and the S2O is not threaded. I just noticed you said Accushadow 2, are they non-threaded too?
CZ Shadow 2 Orange, S2 urban gray, S2 black and blue, 3 polished stainless 75b's and a black 75b all with MCARBO kits and front Dawson FO.

Offline falar

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2020, 04:26:22 PM »

I understand, and I would probably feel the same way as you do, but I don't think you should worry about cracking since the earlier accu-bushings were threaded and the S2O is not threaded. I just noticed you said Accushadow 2, are they non-threaded too?

Yes, they are not threaded.  They are 1911 style bushings.

Offline Rmach

« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2020, 05:01:33 PM »

Yes, they are not threaded.  They are 1911 style bushings.

Interesting, I wonder if CZC removes more material than CZ-UB does.  I guess you would have to see both and take measurements.  Anyway, it's probably not a big concern, but it would always be in the back of my mind too. I didn't know this happened until you mentioned it.

Update, I found this pic with a cracked slide, and if you use the front sight width as a reference, you can probably determine if the CZC machining removed more material than your S2O.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 05:45:12 PM by Rmach »

Offline falar

« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2020, 10:28:43 PM »
Well, I performed the swap. 

I have now owned a total of 4 of these, and noticed the following changes:

Early slides must have been taken off the regular S2 production line as previously noted, they had already been drilled for a roll pin which isn't present in this model to the 1911 style bushing.

3 different magazines used:

17rd Mec Gars with chrome or nickel finish (whichever it is) and orange aluminum basepads
17rd Mec Gars with chrome/nickel finish and thicker +2 orange aluminum basepads, for 19rd capacity
17rd Mec Gars with the regular black finish and the thinner orange aluminum basepads

My latest gun has the heaviest SA pull of any S2 I've had except one at 3.5 out of the box (tied with one other standard S2) and 3.25 after installing a 12lb spring but the trigger is much, much better than any other I've had.  A cleaner break and more positive reset, I really like it.  It also is the first gun I've got where I can't make the slide wiggle even the slightest bit vertically when pinching the muzzle with no magazine in the gun and the hammer back.  Strangely, it is also the only one of the 4 where the hammer hooks weren't fully polished.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 08:51:04 PM by falar »

Offline Rmach

« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2020, 09:19:05 AM »
Well, I performed the swap. 

I have now owned a total of 4 of these, and noticed the following changes:

Early slides must have been taken off the regular S2 production line as previously noted, they had already been drilled for a roll pin which isn't present in this model to the 1911 style bushing.

3 different magazines used:

17rd Mec Gars with chrome or nickel finish (whichever it is) and orange aluminum basepads
17rd Mec Gars with chrome/nickel finish and thicker +2 orange aluminum basepads, for 19rd capacity
17rd Mec Gars with the regular black finish and the thinner orange aluminum basepads

My latest gun has the heaviest SA pull of any S2 I've had except one at 3.5 out of the box (tied with one other standard S2) and 3.25 after installing a 12lb spring but the trigger is much, much better than any other I've had.  A cleaner break and more positive reset, I really like it.  It also is the first gun I've got where I can't make the slide wiggle even the slightest bit vertically when pinching the muzzle with no magazine in the gun and the hammer back.

Thanks for the followup. Don't put any grease on that tight one like I did. Let it break in for a thousand rounds or so. Before you sell the other two, do you want to swap the nickel mags (not the thick base pads) for my blue mags? I had to ask... :)

Offline falar

« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2020, 11:20:02 AM »
I already sold one and the other is listed on the site I usually use for such things.  Besides, I prefer the nickel mags as they are a better value (when buying new they are more expensive) and I love how easily they glide in/out.

Another oddity:  Only 2 of the 4 came with test targets.  Of the 3 standard S2s I've had none came with one yet an SP-01 I bought around the same did.

I know it has always been kind of random, but it seems to me that more often than not now you don't get a test target from CZ-UB.  Not that it is the end-all-be-all, but I find it interesting.

Offline Rmach

« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2020, 11:40:01 AM »
I think I purchased 4 metal CZ's in the past 1.5 years, and none of them had a test target, including my latest S2 Orange.

anything