Author Topic: New to me P06 and rust. Advice needed.  (Read 782 times)

Offline Ironhand

New to me P06 and rust. Advice needed.
« on: January 17, 2020, 08:49:05 AM »
I have been lusting over a P06 I spotted in the gun case of my LGS for months.  I was there earlier this week and they had it along with a used, never-fired P07 which I have also been wanting to add to the collection.  They offered me a package price I couldn't pass on, so went home with both.  I deal with these guys a lot and had no reason to distrust them that either were all they appeared to be.  When I got home, I broke both down to inspect and clean/lube. 

Externally, based on mag, barrel, and feed ramp markings, it is hard to believe that the P06 saw more than a few rounds.  The polycoat is perfect.  Internally is another story  >:(.  The entirety of the uncoated inner surface of the steel slide is coated with light rust.  I could bring the gun back, but I want it and don't mind doing a little cleanup myself.  The firing pin and extractor seem to move as they should (although I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet).  What is the safest way to go about cleaning it up?  Any other thoughts are welcome. 
The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.  -Mark Twain

Offline jurek

• NRA Pistol Instructor, RSO
Re: New to me P06 and rust. Advice needed.
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2020, 09:05:22 AM »
Congrats :)
Good habit is to do full disassembly and cleaning, including firing pin / striker and channel for a firearm brought to the collection.
Rust on metal parts is ok if comes off with finger or cloth. If you have to use brush, be sure metal was not "eaten" by rust.
If you start shooting and keep the firearm lubed, there shouldn't be more rust in future.
If all is good - shoot, enjoy, clean, lube...repeat. ;)

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2020, 12:26:13 PM »
Where you can work with it, 0000 steel wool with some light oil on it will knock rust right out.  Be sure to wipe out the crud you break loose from the metal surfaced and reapply a coat of oil to protect the metal.

This is a piece of shotgun barrel that was up in my attic for over 20 years.  It rusted where I had my hand on it carrying it upstairs, or when cutting the barrel short (wanted a 20" barrel on my rabbit/grouse gun).  Just for the heck of it I grabbed that 0000 steel wool and some oil and rubbed it down and then wiped it with a clean/oily cloth.  It doesn't require a lot of pressure or brisk rubbing.  Just light pressure while stopping to inspect it every little bit.  Doesn't hurt to wipe off the loosened crud every little bit either as it makes it easier to check on your progress.

You can see the before and after.

I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2020, 04:31:21 AM »
Can you post some pics of the gun.

Offline Ironhand

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2020, 09:10:24 AM »
Thanks for the tips gents.  I got in there with some steel wool, small wire wheels and buffs on a Dremel, and some Kroil.  The surface rust broke right up and wiped away.  No signs of rust on the firing pin or its channel which was a relief.  I put a few mags through it without any issues.  I'm thrilled to have this in the collection. 
The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.  -Mark Twain

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2020, 12:44:53 PM »
Great to hear.

Take care of it.

They don't make those any more.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

anything