Author Topic: Rear sight thought with RDS  (Read 1259 times)

Offline Jim E

Rear sight thought with RDS
« on: January 29, 2020, 04:19:31 PM »
I've already machined my 2075 slide for an HS-508T. As the optic is now quite low on the slide I can still clearly see the standard height front sight after laser alignment to 25 yards in the lower 1/3 of the optic.
I had planned from the beginning to not have a rear iron sight as there is little room on the RAMI and did not want to use a mounting plate preferring a direct mount solution so...I propose as an alternative
either an internal or external "sticker" on the optic glass aligned to the same POI. Any thoughts or reason this would or would not work?

Offline Vinny

Re: Rear sight thought with RDS
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2020, 09:08:37 AM »
CGW milled my 2075 RAMI for an RMR and used a Dueck plate with built-in rear iron and a custom height Dawson front tritium. Works great.
But I understand your objective to get the optic lower and eliminate the plate.

Could you add a couple of vertical lines on the rear of the optic similar to a Venom?
Here's the sight picture from a P-07 SR I milled for a Venom and I'm using the original tall SR front sight.

Please let us know how it works out for you.  -Vinny
« Last Edit: February 06, 2020, 09:19:45 AM by Vinny »
"Fear is a reaction, Courage is a decision"
"Carpe Diem"

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2020, 09:22:24 AM »
I would hesitate to add a sticker to the glass. If I'm looking through an mrds, I don't want anything distracting from target focus. I'm at a point now that my eyes automatically target focus and I have to consciously switch to front sight focus. I can hit a silhouette at 25yds pretty comfortably just looking through the mrds w/o the dot or backup sights. Of course, this is just one person's opinion.  How about sharing some pics of your Rami w/ the 508? Any feedback from the range yet?

Offline Jim E

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2020, 04:19:34 PM »
To clarify the "sticker" explanation. The idea is more like using a fine line decal to emulate the inner outline of a rear sight notch placed on POI with the front blade.
Once I have the RDS sighted in at the range I should be able to apply the decal a.k.a "sticker" to the glass using my laser and guide target. I am currently on a few other projects and the slide is getting a paint job. I will try to post a photo.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2020, 04:30:00 PM by Jim E »

Offline Bossgobbler

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2020, 08:43:06 PM »
Don't worry about the sights, They only hold you back when trying to learn how to use the red dot. To use a red dot you need to do target focus, anything else slows you down.  You need to dry fire your draw for 10 minutes a day for about three weeks. The first week draw and find the dot and reholster, then repeat over and over.  The second week draw and find the dot and reholster for 5 minutes. the next 5 minutes draw move gun to weak hand find the dot, repeat over and over. No trigger pull just find the dot. The third week draw and find the dot two trigger pulls mag change, find the dot two trigger pulls. repeat for 10 minutes.

Offline Jim E

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2020, 12:21:06 PM »
Not too worried about the sights but most people seem to think there is a need for BUIS. Due to the short sight radius and few options for iron sights for the RAMI an RDS is a good option for my needs.
In my case the BUIS won't be much more than a rough aiming option in the event of optic failure. Agreed, training is always good practice...no pun intended.

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2020, 06:40:47 PM »
Don't worry about the sights, They only hold you back when trying to learn how to use the red dot. To use a red dot you need to do target focus, anything else slows you down.  You need to dry fire your draw for 10 minutes a day for about three weeks. The first week draw and find the dot and reholster, then repeat over and over.  The second week draw and find the dot and reholster for 5 minutes. the next 5 minutes draw move gun to weak hand find the dot, repeat over and over. No trigger pull just find the dot. The third week draw and find the dot two trigger pulls mag change, find the dot two trigger pulls. repeat for 10 minutes.
^^^Good advice here^^^

Offline Jim E

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2020, 09:06:22 PM »
Here are some pics.
Slide cut. Note the paper thin area.

Slide cut cleaned up.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2020, 09:15:41 PM by Jim E »

Offline Vinny

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2020, 11:26:06 PM »
Jim E,
Looks really good. 
Just barely enough width to get the mounting holes in. But it gives you a lower mount without a plate, and the 507C's larger reticle window. Who did the milling?

I have the new smaller Holosun 407K micro dot coming, to mount on a SIG P365. Slightly narrower footprint that's same as Shield/J-Point/Romeo Zero.

It's been on order since Feb 4th.  I hope to have it (fingers crossed) in a couple more weeks.
"Fear is a reaction, Courage is a decision"
"Carpe Diem"

Offline Jim E

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2020, 11:58:19 PM »
Thanks Vinny,
The machine work was done by best friend at his shop by his Son in law. I can tell you the steel on that slide is very hard and dense. I also ended up re-coating the frame along with the slide with Gunkote charcoal black.
While it was apart, I installed the 15 lb hammer spring and extended firing pin kit. Much better trigger pull.
I'm looking at the new version two (V2) model of this Holosun HE508T optic. I've tried to contact Holosun here in CA several times but, no response phone or email.
Called Midway and they said they were overdue and Holosun failed to meet their promised delivery date. So, I'm holding off until they get their act together.

anything