Author Topic: Head Stamps  (Read 2543 times)

aairguy

Head Stamps
« on: May 26, 2006, 07:54:02 AM »
I recently bought a bucket of brass and as I'm sorting through them I keep comming across a head stamp from winchester but it doesn't have a calibur designation on it. It will say "WCC" and gives a date ie:88-92-02. It measures out to be 9mm. Could this be military ammo?

Offline ReloaderFred

Head Stamps
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2006, 08:26:36 AM »
Welcome to the forum.

Yes, that's military 9mm brass.  You'll have to remove the primer crimp before repriming.

You'll find that it's heavier brass than commercial, meaning the case walls are thicker.  It's excellent brass for reloading, once you remove the primer crimp.  I've stopped using commercial brass and use military exclusively in 9mm, since I run them rather warm.

You'll also find 9mm with the FC headstamp, for Federal Cartridge.  It's also good brass, but not quite as thick walled as the WCC headstamped brass.  Those are the two headstamps I've run across in 9mm, but in other calibers you'll see RA for Remington, plus many, many others for World War II and Korean War ammunition.

The other day I found a Lake City headstamped .38 Special case.  This was the first one I had seen out of the thousands of rounds of brass in that caliber that I've loaded.  Most was marked either WCC, WRA or RA.  

As an aside, Federal is owned by Alliant Technologies (ATK), and ATK runs the Lake City Ordinance Plant for the government under contract, but the FC brass is made in the Federal plant.  

Hope this helps.

Fred
After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs

aairguy

Head Stamps
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2006, 11:12:45 AM »
As I'm new to reloading, how would I go about removing the primer crimp? Nubie question but I take no chances reloading. I use a Dillon 550 and love it. I am able to see the primer just before it goes under the case to make sure it is sitting  right and I look into every case to be sure there is powder. A little slower, but so far every round is perfect.

Offline ReloaderFred

Head Stamps
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2006, 03:59:26 PM »
There are several ways to remove the crimp from military primer pockets.  If you had a single stage press, RCBS makes a very simple crimp removal die and punch, but that won't work on your Dillon.  

Dillon makes a tool for the same purpose, but I believe it's around $70.00 or so, which probably wouldn't be worth it, unless you're going to be reloading a lot of military brass.

Lee makes a tool, but I've never used it, as do others.  Some people chamfer the primer pocket mouth, and that works, too.

Check the manuals and most of them address it.

Hope this helps.

Fred
After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
Head Stamps
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2006, 08:03:38 AM »
I've used the Lee Tool and it works very well for the most part, but if you're doing a lot of cases your wrist will get sore.  A half inch counter-sink in an electric drill works very well, but wear a Rubber Glove on the hand that holds the cases.
"Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Offline elsolo75

Head Stamps
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2006, 09:33:14 AM »
I reoad lots of military WCC 9mm brass, and I don't bother removing any primer crimp beforehand. My 650 stuffs a new primer in there just fine, easier than S&B (which I also like)

Seismic-Sam

Head Stamps
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2006, 02:19:08 PM »
By the way, Fred reloads RA42 45 ACP brass, which is 45 ammo that was made in the Rockford Arsenal in 1942.  I refuse to handload any brass that's OLDER than I am, but Fred

1.  Doesn't care HOW old it is...
            2.  He's older than that himself anyway...

8o   8o   8o

Unregistered(d)

Head Stamps
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2006, 03:57:29 PM »
He is not old, merely well seasoned....8)

Offline ReloaderFred

Head Stamps
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2006, 04:22:32 PM »
What is this, pick on Fred Day??  

I'm not quite that bad, but I have loaded lots of brass from WW II, mostly 30-06 and .30 Carbine.  I've got quite a few .45 cases from that era, but I don't reload them anymore, since there is plenty of newer brass around.  A lot of those cases were made from steel anyway.  They also made them from steel during the Korean War.

Sam just likes to rub my age in, since he got his eyes fixed and he can actually tell there's a front sight out there now...

Fred

Unregistered(d)

Head Stamps
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2006, 08:43:53 PM »
Id rather tangle with 5 young punks who don't know their behind from a hole in the ground, than one mean old guy who knows EXACTLY how he's gonna rock your world!

Offline cz75tac

Head Stamps
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2007, 10:01:30 PM »
Here's a great resource for deciphering headstamp codes.

cartridgecollectors.org/h...pcodes.htm