Author Topic: Concealed Carry - Compact vs. Rami  (Read 5074 times)

Offline Stafford

Concealed Carry - Compact vs. Rami
« on: February 03, 2020, 08:09:44 AM »
For those that have both, is the Rami a better option for concealed carry than a P-01 or PCR? Or is the difference negligible?

Offline viking499

Re: Concealed Carry - Compact vs. Rami
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2020, 08:43:07 AM »
I prefer the PCR.  The size and weight of the Rami and PCR are similar, but the grip is different on each.  The PCR fits me better.

Offline Hammer Time

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2020, 08:48:00 AM »
You might find this vid helpful. Bit of a deep dive into comparing dimensions and specs, but it's worth it if you're debating:

Carry Compare - Rami vs P01 vs PCR:

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2020, 12:42:21 PM »
I used to carry a P-01, and now carry a Rami. The shorter slide of the Rami is better for me because I spend a lot of time driving. Additionally,  it's very comfortable for me to shoot accurately(at distance and in close). I have 2xl sized hands and the Rami fits better than a single stack 9.

Offline Triax60

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2020, 09:57:11 PM »

Offline Porcupine

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2020, 10:22:32 PM »
P01 works better for me.*

* I actually carry a P07 most days, but it's close in size to the P01.

I don't carry my Rami as I find the mag release a little harder to get to, and the mags catch on the heel of strong hand forcing me to pull them with my left.

I'm average height, thicker (not fatter;)) than average build.

I have no trouble AIWB carrying a weapon the size of a P01 under a heavy T-shirt. I'm in and out of vehicles all day long, and with a good belt and holster, I can ride, walk, run, and do pretty much any task comfortably.

They're both great choices dependant on your physical makeup. What I finally figured out is:

I can daily carry a bigger gun than I thought I could.

All things being equal, given the option, I'd prefer to carry a larger gun when I can.

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2020, 04:49:45 AM »
I've handled and fired the Rami and it is a fine pistol but I can't own one as I just don't like pistols that I can't get a full hand on. However I have carried my PCR for more than 10 years and if fits my hand perfectly.

Offline Skookum

• Truth is the new hate speech.
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2020, 05:41:37 AM »
For a subcompact the RAMI is huge; thus, I see little advantage relative to a compact CZ, although its size makes it shootable for a 9 Luger subcompact.  With a compact CZ you get concealability and shootability with increased capacity, and by using the CZ 75 rubber magazine base pads you can get a comfortable four-finger grip without increasing the height of the gun substantially.

If you want or need deep concealment, one is probably better off with a pocket pistol.  Unfortunately, CZ doesn't offer one of these in the US.
Skookum
Browning Challenger III, .22 Long Rifle, Glossy Blue
CZ 83, 9 Browning Court, Satin Nickel
CZ 75 Compact, 9 Luger, Dual Tone — Satin Nickel/Matte Blue
CZ 82, 9 Makarov, Czechoslovak People's Army Black
CZ 83, 7.65 Browning, Glossy Blue
Beretta 3032 Tomcat, .32 Auto, Inox

Offline Triax60

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2020, 08:35:16 AM »
Found a post on reddit about a discussion on the Rami.

https://old.reddit.com/r/CZFirearms/comments/82z08t/it_finally_happened_finally_got_my_cz_rami/

PCR on left and Rami on right, the Rami is chunky.

Offline Hammer Time

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2020, 09:02:56 AM »
As others have said, I found the Rami overly chunky when I handled one. And, by the time I put an extended mag in it, in order to be able to get a full hand grip on the pistol, it was barely any shorter than a P-01 or PCR.

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2020, 11:36:06 AM »
The extended mag gives the option of getting a full grip, the short mag gives the option of less printing or more comfort when seated. If you have to have a fulI grip, obviously the Rami is too short with the short mag. Is the Rami "chunky"? Yep, it is. That's why it fits my hand better and is so comfortable to shoot.
FWIW, I talked myself out of the Rami for all the reasons listed above, some mentioned by people who've never carried one. Now that I own one and carry it every day, I've discovered that it works great for me. It isn't for everybody though and I doubt it was intended to be.

Offline Porcupine

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2020, 11:38:48 AM »
The extended mag gives the option of getting a full grip, the short mag gives the option of less printing or more comfort when seated. If you have to have a fulI grip, obviously the Rami is too short with the short mag. Is the Rami "chunky"? Yep, it is. That's why it fits my hand better and is so comfortable to shoot.
FWIW, I talked myself out of the Rami for all the reasons listed above, some mentioned by people who've never carried one. Now that I own one and carry it every day, I've discovered that it works great for me. It isn't for everybody though and I doubt it was intended to be.

How is the mag release/drop for you?

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2020, 01:32:17 PM »

How is the mag release/drop for you?
Not a problem for me, but I have fairly large hands. W/o a mag extension, my pinky hangs off the grip on my P-07.

Offline Skookum

• Truth is the new hate speech.
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2020, 01:42:05 PM »
the Rami is chunky.

Not sure what you mean by "chunky" or where the chunk might be.

According to CZ-USA, the RAMI's dimensions (L x H x W in inches) are 6.5 x 4.7 x 1.25, whereas the P-01's are 7.2 x 5.02 x 1.38.  For comparison, the 75 B's dimensions are listed as 8.1 x 5.4 x 1.4.

Roughly approximating bulk (in cubic inches) as LHW/2, the compact (25) is 19% smaller than the full size 75 (31), while the subcompact (19) is 39% smaller than the full size and 24% smaller than the compact.

For my deep concealment needs I opted for the Beretta 3032 Tomcat over the RAMI.  The Tomcat's dimensions are 4.9 x 3.7 x 1.1, for an approximate bulk of 10 (47% smaller than the RAMI).

Skookum
Browning Challenger III, .22 Long Rifle, Glossy Blue
CZ 83, 9 Browning Court, Satin Nickel
CZ 75 Compact, 9 Luger, Dual Tone — Satin Nickel/Matte Blue
CZ 82, 9 Makarov, Czechoslovak People's Army Black
CZ 83, 7.65 Browning, Glossy Blue
Beretta 3032 Tomcat, .32 Auto, Inox

Offline Tyerone

• Saving the planet.
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2020, 05:42:48 PM »
My RAMI has nudged my PCR out of CC duty.  Mostly an OWB guy with over sweater during business attire, the small amount less over all length keeps the muzzle better hidden.  Weight and thickness differences are not really an issue for me.  Neither are very good for pocket carry compared to beretta NANO or Sig P365 for instance.