Author Topic: Picked up my Bren 2 pistol. already have some minor complaints.  (Read 315 times)

Offline Shorty Lickens

Picked up my Bren 2 pistol. already have some minor complaints.
« on: February 12, 2020, 04:07:16 PM »
They shipped the black model but I ordered FDE.
The manual does not specify if the tube is military or commercial. But it does have the tube butt installed already and I am grateful.
The magwell is tight but it does fit all my STANAG magazines with some effort, and they included two 30 round mags which is better than most companies.
The charging handle is smooth and light but the button to release/lock it is on the same side, so I have to do some fancy maneuvers to get it open. maybe just use a dummy mag instead of fiddling with it every time.

Takedown is a hassle. yes, it can be done toolless but it really helps to have some screw drivers or pry bars. Putting it back together requires 3 hands to be done easily. It is easy to clean and lube once pulled apart. For 1700 bucks I really wish they had installed proper 1913 rails. The tool kit they give you is nice and in a sturdy zipper pouch.
Gas tube adjuster is easy to use, no tools needed. Included 3 prong flash hider probably works great, but tomorrow when I hit the range I will likely bring some additional devices for comparison.

Had to sell my X95 and M&P Sport II for this gun, but I know I won't miss them. The charging handle alone already makes this the best 5.56 carbine/pistol platform I've ever owned. Oh, and its lightweight but most of you already know that.

Offline Tsar

Re: Picked up my Bren 2 pistol. already have some minor complaints.
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2020, 01:42:53 AM »
Not to nitpick, but there are no FDE versions being sold, so it's hardly the fault of the manufacturer.
As is the case with the tube - from the factory they simply ship with the plate - so it won't be mentioned in the manual. The adapter will take either milspec or commercial tubes; they're threaded the same.
So for the issues you're having there are due to a crappy salesperson offering a made-up fde model and attaching some random tube without letting you know.

What step is requiring you to use tools or a third hand to takedown and reassemble? I can give you steps that'll make it doable with one hand:
Push the front pin with your thumb on side, then pull it from the other.
Pivot the lower receiver half off.
Push the rear pin on the tube adapter and then pull the other side, as you did with the front.
Pull the latch back and pull the adapter down and off.
Tilt the receiver and the bolt and spring will drop out.
Reverse the steps to put it back together - when you put the adapter back on, just tip the reciever so the muzzle points down so the bolt and main spring sit down far enough for easy clearance. I just did all that with one hand with mine.

Are you looking for side and lower 1913 rails? That's a matter of personal preference and hardly a reflection of the $1700 cost. M-Lok gives more versatility and weight savings, which is likely why it was selected, but I can understand why you'd want solid rails.

The AR style bolt release with a side mounted handle is a rough choice in my opinion, I'd agree with that. I know their thinking was probably for the sake of familiarity. And as a release it's fine, but hold open function on the other hand isnt great. The bolt hold/release in the trigger guard is super convenient, but I know people have reservations against it. I like it though, and consider it safe due to the fact that you need to push forward and away from the trigger to really actuate it, unlike the BAD lever or others. If you're comfortable with it, I'd suggest giving it a try. It's a little stiff at first, but it breaks in quick, as do the sticky takedown pins.

Two things to try otherwise: swap the bolt handle to the right for AK style reacharounds ( 8) ) or you can hook the handle by your knuckles and hit the catch with your thumb.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 01:49:20 AM by Tsar »

Offline Shorty Lickens

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2020, 06:12:36 PM »
No one said it was the fault of the manufacturer, including me.
Gun store owner said she was ordering the FDE, so obviously I need to spin around her computer and look at it before agreeing to anything. The handwritten receipt she gave to me also said FDE.
bleep HER!

Had my first shoot today. Did not like. Gonna need a pistol brace. Or spend the time and effort for an SBR stamp. It handles poorly without being pushed into a shoulder. My shots were all over the place. Missed an eleven by seventeen target at 50 yards repeatedly. But the gun itself handles nicely and that includes the charging handle which so far is the smoothest out of any rifle I've owned.

Will work on it and replace parts as needed. Also cleaning and lubricating was easy. I use motor grease and it works fine so long as I dont go crazy, otherwise theres tons of smoke.

OR, I may just sell it back and purchase the rifle later this year.

Offline Magsz

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2020, 12:33:19 AM »
Which barrel length do you have?  If its an 11 ill buy it off of you.

I respect your opinions but I strongly disagree with all of them.

The left side charger with an AR bolt release is absolutely, positively awesome.  Administratively locking back the bolt is as easy as can be.  Simply pull the bolt back with your left hand and use your thumb on the bottom of the bolt release/ping pong paddle to lock it back.  Given how easy this rifle is to charge, doing this is as easy as it gets.

As far as taking the rifle down.  Push out a pin, remove the lower, push out the brace adapter pin, slide that off.  Take out the rifle guts.  What else do you want?  Yeah, its a little more involved than an AR15 but man is it easy.

I don't want picatinny on my guns.  I have zero use for that and at this point, I have NOTHING in my inventory that actually fits on a picatinny rail minus optics mounts.  Everything else is M lok.  I do agree that the MS handguard is a piece of crap and really does appear to be an afterthought.  having said that, its not a deal breaker for me as I tend to replace fore ends on almost all of my rifles.

As far as how it shoots.  I have a 7.62X39 gun with a 9 inch barrel and its an absolute bleepcat.  50 yard and 100 yard hits on 20 inch steel plates are boring.

Offline Tsar

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2020, 03:00:20 AM »
No one said it was the fault of the manufacturer, including me.

You were listing complaints against the gun. If several of the issues are the fault of the store owner, it's hardly a valid complaint, is it?