Author Topic: Ream a chamber for 9maj  (Read 7166 times)

Offline newageroman

• Press or cry like the rest...
    • The Brass Bucket - Brass Trading Website
Re: Ream a chamber for 9maj
« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2020, 02:02:37 AM »
OK, well shoot, I guess I'll try again.
Appreciate the info for sure. I'll keep that hammer spring/hard primers note for later.
I have HP-38, Sport Pistol, Power Pistol, N320 and one other I think.
I'm open to other powders that are more appropriate, HS-6 being the one that rings in my head mostly, but haven't seen it much locally.
looking at the bur rate chart, power pistol is right next to HS-6.
I do remember seeing quite a bit of blue dot locally.
https://loaddata.com/Article/BurnRateCharts/Powder-Burn-Rate-Chart-NEW/159
On this burn rate chart is the #68 supposed to be that powder you use? It's listed as 3N318??
I'll research some of the powders in that area of the burn rate. VV might be out just according to cost, but I think I can get the VV powder locally.
Looks like HS-7 or W 571,
I remember seeing RamShot Silouette and Auto comp locally too.

I think my next steps will be setting up the chrono in the back yard and testing it with the bow and arrow. And try fitting the comp.
Thanks again for the info.
It's great to have options, but this is so confusing I may just give up and go back to WWB...

Ricky Ace Range Review: https://rumble.com/c/c-1388111
75B-BullShadow SAO (Limited Optics)
SP-01-SAO-comped (OpenMajor)
97E SAO, 97B, SAR copies
..others..

Offline Bossgobbler

« Reply #46 on: May 14, 2020, 06:56:36 PM »
Don't give up.  powder that works and you can use it in 9 major.

Powder                              Bullet weight                                     Notes
1. Major Pistol                         115gr & 124/125                  best, leaves room in the case, not as clean-burning a VV
2. 3N38                                  124gr/125gr                        Very good but it fills the case #1 powder in USPSA open 
3. N350                                  124gr/125gr                        Good
4. 3N37                                  124gr/125gr                        Good
5. Auto-Comp/CFE pistol          115gr & 124/125gr               Good, on the fast side, can be hard-hitting in the hand when pushed
6. WW572                                 ????                                  New not much info
7. HS6                                   115gr & 124/125gr                Dirty hard-hitting in the hand
8. Remshot Silhouette             115gr & 124/125gr                Loud, you can feel the concussion
9.  AA#7                                115gr & 124/125gr                A lot like Major Pistol with reports of erosion of the comp
10. Blue Dot                                                                      Fills the case hard to make 170pf
11. N105                                115gr & 124/125gr               Makes lots of gas for a steel load, cannot make 165pf

Major Pistol is the powder a lot of guys are going with. Powder valley & Grafs you will get the best price.
I have load data for #1, 2, 3, 4, 5 & 11

Offline newageroman

« Reply #47 on: May 15, 2020, 01:03:19 PM »
Of course, I was just joking about going back to factory! LOL!
I've never used shooters world/Lovex powders. - I'll look for them and "Major Pistol" specifically- I just read the description for it with the manual/load data.

Thanks for the info! that seems to be a good summary breakdown of the most pop 9maj powders.
97E SAO, 97B, SAR copies
..others..

Offline George16

« Reply #48 on: May 15, 2020, 08:46:38 PM »
Shooters World Major Pistol is identical to AA7. Both leaks through the Dillon powder measure.

I’m glad Graf’s stopped selling lot 314 of Major Pistol since this lot is slower than lot 115.

Offline sevt_chevelle

« Reply #49 on: May 16, 2020, 09:24:15 AM »
Thats a nice list!
You happen to have something for 9mm minor and maybe 40?
Thanks

Offline newageroman

« Reply #50 on: May 18, 2020, 11:21:28 AM »
Ahhh, so another key to puzzle is almost revealed...
Leaky powder out of the measure - I could see that as being a thing on the D650
I think for now, I'm going to work on getting the comp on, and getting my chrono setup and tested.
I have a few mild rounds using power pistol to test with.

I have some N320 and sport pistol laying around, so I'm going to go ahead and use that up making 9minor limited rounds (again with the 124PDs).

Will be doing research and report back, I have some dremelling to go do...
97E SAO, 97B, SAR copies
..others..

Offline George16

« Reply #51 on: May 18, 2020, 12:45:21 PM »
Yup, SWMP and AA7 leaks on my Dillon. I tried putting a strip of packaging tape on the spacer but it still leaks. I called Dillon asking for a thicker spacer but the rep was an bleeper and condescending. He said I need to change powders since fine ball powders will leak no matter what.

I’m loading 4.0-4.1 Gr of sport pistol @ 1.120-1.125” OAL with 124 Gr PD JHP for my MPX, TSO, shadow 2 and X5. Its very soft shooting and accurate.

Offline newageroman

« Reply #52 on: May 22, 2020, 10:59:22 AM »
Still holding on reaming the chamber. Its on with red permatex threadsealer. Will start with limited rounds and be checking the temp of the comp with handheld thermometer (trying to stay under ~300 deg). My biggest concern at this point is heating up and coming out of time.
There is high Temp lock tite, but I couldn't find any locally, might get to that if required.

97E SAO, 97B, SAR copies
..others..

Offline George16

« Reply #53 on: May 22, 2020, 12:03:49 PM »
Still holding on reaming the chamber. Its on with red permatex threadsealer. Will start with limited rounds and be checking the temp of the comp with handheld thermometer (trying to stay under ~300 deg). My biggest concern at this point is heating up and coming out of time.
There is high Temp lock tite, but I couldn't find any locally, might get to that if required.

Looks good. I strongly suggest reaming the barrel os you can load longer. It’ll also lower the chamber pressure of any given load you plan on doing.

By the way, are you AcePrater on the Enos forum? The gun looks to be the same gun you posted over at the Enos forum.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 07:13:48 AM by Wobbly »

Offline newageroman

« Reply #54 on: May 24, 2020, 11:07:03 PM »
Well, that lasted 4 Min. PF rounds, and then came out of time. More tinkerings to come.

good news... great news is I finally got to chrono my rounds.

I forgot the tripod last time, well this time I forgot the attachment that marries the tripod to the bottom of the chrono...
Lucky me the range we go to had some 2x6s right in front of the bench so we mounted with para cord and bungee to it.

The muzzle blast blew the deflectors off a few times, but generally it worked really very well and better than I expected!
velocities were confirmed for a number of rifle and pistols.

Brand new 10/22 with federal 40 gn bulk ~1100 fps
Ruger Mk II slabside with scope was actually about the same (This was king cobra pistol of the day!)
03A3 loads were running a good 2600 fps using 150s and 4064 - I love shooting this old war bolt - knife sward was attached and due to sub-vector muzzle entry path added a good 3.2 fps ... 16" rifle sword should result in an additional 2.8 fps over tested 10" rifle sword.

My limited minor loads out of the old 75B (since racegun was down) ran expected velocities as well (Sport pistol over 124PDs).
I have results for chrono for my records, and it really did add quite a bit to the day.

Yes, I'm Ace on the other forum, I'm going to try to keep my build over there and load dev stuff here.
I will consider reaming the barrel, and I guess that all should be done before permanently attaching the comp, perhaps a blessing in disguise...
From what I remembered, there didn't seem to be all that much COAL to be gained from reaming the chamber for more OAL vs max mag length - but I will revisit that section and see.

So much good stuff here, thanks for the insight.
I also got to drive the '78 bronco to the range and back over lake Guntersville - top and tailgate off - back stacked with guns, reloader friend to chat with, fishing in the afternoon and pizza dinner - life is great! Hope ya'll are staying well!
97E SAO, 97B, SAR copies
..others..

Offline newageroman

« Reply #55 on: June 04, 2020, 03:14:18 PM »
And.... It's the're off - to get their holes reamed out a little bit by a man in Missisip.
Reviewed the info her regarding mag length and max OAL. Mad about 20 dummy rounds on the dillon and seated to 1.160" stuffed them in the mag. Then tried to cycle them, -jam - duh... I saw, just like others here have advised that loading to 1.160" would potentially cause loading issues. SO... I kept one bullet at that len, and then busted the rest down to 1.155" They seemed to load fine, so that will be my goto COAL for now.

Sent the old 75B barrel and the 01 threaded barrel - kept the stock 01 barrel here just because of *reasons. Wish the barrels luck on the way and the way back! They need your blessings with all the stuff that is going on.

As for the comp: - Locktite 272 is on the way. I went to my LGS and they did have shim washers, but they were sized a bit loose around the threads and oversized on the outside diameter. So, I *thought about just buying them, and centering them up in between some type of threaded rod/nits to sand them down to fit inside the comp. But looking at it, after all that trouble, they would be only 1/2mm wide at that point and I just see that s being a bit too fragile and a lot of fine work that could easily get out of hand. So... I'm back to lapping it down just a bit to time correctly. Will be a few days down the road. stay tuned. and thx again for all the solid advise.

97E SAO, 97B, SAR copies
..others..

Offline George16

« Reply #56 on: June 04, 2020, 04:34:13 PM »
What mags are you using? My Czechmate and TSO mags don’t have any problems with 1.170” OAL. That’s the longest I load a batch and functioned flawlessly.

Here’s the mag I shot yesterday. There’s 29 rounds in the mag using CZ Customs spring, follower and base pad for 170mm.

Offline newageroman

« Reply #57 on: June 05, 2020, 08:40:14 PM »
SP-01 mags.
So... looks like that is another advantage TSO. Mag max load length? I know they are a bit fatter too. I thought the TSO frame would feel fat, but it didn't when I tried it in the store. I'd love to get a TSO, but just can't justify the $$$. If they still had the normal TS I might have bitten on it, but they stopped making them so 01 for me.

In other news, I have a 22 rimfire match tomorrow and just put a 6ARC barrel on backorder. I'm not really an ar guy, bu the 6ARC looks pretty decent.
Have a great weekend!
97E SAO, 97B, SAR copies
..others..

Offline George16

« Reply #58 on: June 05, 2020, 08:57:35 PM »
Yeah, the TSO, TS and Czechmate mags are fatter.

You can put out a WTB ad over at the Enos forum. They’re were a couple of TS being sold before Covid and it took a long time for it to sell.

Offline newageroman

« Reply #59 on: June 06, 2020, 09:09:32 PM »
yeah, I would love a TS, but they are $$$ and kinda want to build on a more common base. I see more builds coming.
I just got word from the reamer, barrels are already on the way back.

I shot my first NRL22 match today with a stock 10/22 and a take of scope and rings. I got SCHOOOOOOLED, I went in as joke/just for fun and excuse to get out of the house. I was totally out classed (laughably) by a solid firing line of $1000 + 22s. Everyone was cool, but I did think it was kinda funny that some thought I was a total noob (10/22 and eurotrash street clothes). Honestly it was a lot of waiting to just shoot a 22 like this, or over here, or like that. Well the Bama sun Baked everyone off the Long range and the uncovered pistol bays. I noticed this right as I had major issues with the 10/22 bolt release - finished the 4th stage and went to shoot the CZ in the pistol bay, working on transitions and mag changes and starts and stops in gravel, which I haven't done in a while. Picked up all most of my brass in the hot summer sun, while about 30 people watched from the shaded pavilion. Then shot my Ruger 22 scoped slabside. Then rode back by the 22 shooters and went to shoot steel at the Long Range Members only side.

The most important part of the day - If you quit one thing to go do another, don't quit the other! When I went to the ELR range, I had all sorts of issues and limited ammo. I got my dope cards mixed up with different bullets. Went back to 100 yd zero to confirm. Then back up, still off. Ran out of main bullet type and almost quit, but figured I'd try to work through it. Switch ammo, checked the dope card and then caught my error, back to 100 yd zero and then back up, correctly this time, to 600, then 750 with some adjustments. Last 2 shots there were about 4" @ 750 with the 130 Bergers @ 2900 6.5 cm.

I called that a day, and drove my miata with no top or shirt through the rolling hills of TN all the way home...
and I just found out that my range has an AMP Annealer! WHAT!
97E SAO, 97B, SAR copies
..others..