Author Topic: New reloader setup help  (Read 1154 times)

Offline layusn1

New reloader setup help
« on: September 09, 2006, 05:28:45 PM »
hello, Im looking for some advice on getting started.  I shoot the following:

Yugo SKS, M44 Mosin-Nagant,1895 Chilean Mauser, Turk Mauser
            Rock River AR15, Marlin Model 60, 2 rugger 10-22s, Sig 226
            CZ52, CZ75, CZ83, Browning Buckmark

Some of these are either not reloadable or surplus is just too cheap to look at reloading.  I'm mainly looking at the 9mm, the 7mm Mauser and 223.

I have $50-$75 to spend per payday, or save up.  I have nothing right now for reloading.  I dont want to buy a setup and then realize there are a bunch of little things that are needed besides what comes in things like Lee sets.  I know I "need" a tumbler and some say "need" a seperate case trimmer but beyond that I'm not really sure.

What I would like, if possible, Is advice on everything I should buy BEFORE I buy the press since I dont want to start with the bare minimum and get frustrated.  I want everything I need before I pull the press handle for the first time.  If you all could suggest gear and manufacturers it would be greatly appreciated.  If anyone want to put together a list of the order in which gear should be bought, or knows where one is, it would also be appreciated.  Again, I know I am asking a lot but really appreciate the effort.  Thanks.

Offline stretch64

New reloader setup help
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2006, 08:53:09 PM »
One of the starter kits will get you set up pretty well (the RCBS Rock Chucker kit is hard to beat). You'll want to add a good caliper. I'd recommend a digital one if it's in the budget, it just makes life so much easier.
             I've tried liquid brass cleaner before, but a tumbler is more economical and IMO does a better job and is more convenient.
             The universal loading tray that comes in the kits is ok to start with, but you'll probably find yourself wanting caliber specific loading trays before long.
             I doubt you'll be needing a case trimmer to begin with, it's probably something you can add later as needed.
             Besides the obvious dies, powder, primers, cases, and bullets, you'll need shell holders for each caliber (the three calibers you'll be loading all take a different shell holder).
             You'll need about 6 sq. ft. of clear work space that you don't mind drilling holes into to mount the press (or a Frankford Arsenal portable reloading stand to mount the press on) and separate storage areas for primers and powder.
             Plastic ammo boxes are nice, but foam trays and cardboard ammo boxes are more economical especially if you'll be loading large quanities of ammo. Also get some load labels to mark the boxes with and a note pad to keep track of load data, range notes, and powder measure settings.

Almost forgot, most impotantly, some comfortable clear safety glasses.

Offline layusn1

New reloader setup help
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2006, 09:19:53 PM »
Thanks.  Good info.  I have read through I swear abuot 1000 posts and the more you read the more confusing it gets with everyones conflicting opinions.

I dont know about other people but my CZ75 LOVES S&B.  It seems to be the most accurate on the market that I have tried.  Is there a replica load that anyone has found?  Wolf 9mm did well and Winchester was OK but I will leave those for my Wife's Sig.

Is there a number of test loads as a generall rule?  The range is far away and I only make it out there once a month.  Is it recommended/suggested to load x number at one grain level and then work your way up with x number of the other powder levels?

I have mixed range brass and Im looking at Remington 124gr JHP, mostly for the price but will gladly accept recommendations.  I have no idea of which powder to use so if anyone has a recommendation for that bullet/brass combo that would be great...unless there is a good reason to use a different bullet.  500 cost $31.00 at Midway, seems reasonable.  Thanks.

Offline stretch64

New reloader setup help
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2006, 09:42:52 PM »
Opinions are like.......So here's more.:lol

When starting a new load I load in .2gr increments, 10ea. if for rifle, 20ea. if for pistol. If I'm tayloring an existing load, I load 20ea. for rifle, 100ea. for pistol. I load for 7mm Rem Mag  for rifle if your wondering why such a low count for rifle ammo. It basically boils down to how many rounds you want to pull down if you don't like the load.

When starting a new load, the basic rule is to start 10% below listed maximum and work up from there.

I don't load 9mm so I can't help you much there, but I'm sure others will chime in soon with their recommendations on loads and equipment.

Offline EZ CZ75

New reloader setup help
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2006, 11:05:26 AM »
I may have missed it, but don't forget to get a reloading manual, or three or four.  Another option is to just look on the net.  For a new loader make sure that you start out with the pages directly from the manufacutrer.  Every powder I use has it's own official web site and the load data is the same as in the books, you just don't have to buy it.:D

Until you get a few rounds under your belt I wouldn't take too many custom hot handloads from web forums.  Some are just plain dandgerous, but you will recognize these as time passes.  That being said, I don't think I have ever seen too crazy of a load posted here.