Author Topic: Am I stuck with a “world” model?  (Read 2316 times)

Offline 9245

Am I stuck with a “world” model?
« on: March 07, 2020, 08:31:48 PM »
I have been doing a little research on the debacle a few years ago with the Scorpion and the welded “world legal” models being sold in the US.  One thing that particularly caught my attention was this:

https://czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=78622.0

In that post, the OP was talking about the changes in the new “World Legal” models and one of the changes he highlighted was the receiver having a blocking bar and the bolt having a corresponding notch cut out to fit around it.

I was just taking a close look at my brand new, made less than a month ago, Scorpion S1 and noticed that my bolt seems to have the same notch, and looking inside my receiver I see what appears to be a block, here is a picture, it’s the square thing I’m pointing at:

I thought this whole neutered world guns ending up in the US thing had been cleared up a few years ago?  So why am I seeing a world gun in the US in 2020?  Or am I looking at it completely wrong?

I am very, VERY, political when it comes to guns, we have enough trouble with our own communist gun grabbers in the US without having to cater to foreign ones too.  So the idea of modifications being done to my gun, here in the US, just to make some bed wetting communist tin horn moron in the EU or wherever in the world these modifications were made to comply with INFURIATES me greatly and frankly has me considering selling the thing and scouring gun broker for a non pussified gen 1.  Yes I am aware that the changes do not hinder function but it is the IDEA of them that angers me.  I hate liberals and I hate gun grabbers (same thing) and the idea of there slimy dictatorial communist filth being in my gun disgusts me.  It’s bad enough I have to settle for an S1 instead of the A1 due to communist anti gun horsebleep, I’ll be bleeped if I will put up with any that is not strictly legally necessary.

So my question is:  Assuming I am interpreting what I am seeing correctly, would it harm anything if I ground out that receiver block?  Is there anywhere I can order an un notched gen 1 bolt and will it otherwise fit in a gen 2 upper?

FYI I checked, I do not see anything that looks like welding in my lower.

Offline 9245

Re: Am I stuck with a “world” model?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2020, 08:34:15 PM »
Hmm, my picture does not seem to have loaded, but I am referring to the square protrusion in the top of the upper between the rear sling loop and above where the selector would be.

Offline Bumpus

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2020, 09:43:24 PM »

You’re going to give yourself an aneurysm over nothing.

Offline Trooper894

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2020, 09:46:21 PM »

You’re going to give yourself an aneurysm over nothing.

That's exactly the same movie quote that came to my mine the first time I read this post.
Honor - Doing what's right, even if no one is watching.

Offline lorazepam

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2020, 11:06:39 PM »
I couldn't decide between
A. Yikes!
B. You can always sell it, or.buy a binary trigger.
C. Not today, Mr ATF man.

Offline 9245

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2020, 12:15:37 AM »
A. Yikes!

I just resent that my gun has been altered to comply with foreign gun laws.  It’s bad enough I have to comply with our own insane gun laws without having to add additional BS that doesn’t even apply to me.  I do not like that my receiver and bolt have been modified without reason just to make some bed wetting European communist happy.  Unless there is a legal or mechanical reason not to I would seriously like to mill out that pointless block and drop in a gen 1 bolt.  It has no affect on anything but giving the finger to the global gun grabbers would bring me pleasure.

Offline canthelpit

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2020, 03:34:25 AM »
Mostly likely, the reason for building one model of firearm for multiple markets has nothing to do with keeping European governments happy.  From CZ's standpoint, it is a completely rational economic
descision: their job is to make a profit, and building 2 somewhat different models when one will do simply costs them money.  It's not just a question of machine time and setup, which with CNC
equipment is the least of it.  They have costs associated with production scheduling, inventory
control, making sure spare parts are available etc, etc.  And, while this is an important issue for you,
the vast majority of their customers won't know the difference, or care.

Offline lorazepam

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2020, 05:28:03 PM »
A. Yikes!

I just resent that my gun has been altered to comply with foreign gun laws.  It’s bad enough I have to comply with our own insane gun laws without having to add additional BS that doesn’t even apply to me.  I do not like that my receiver and bolt have been modified without reason just to make some bed wetting European communist happy.  Unless there is a legal or mechanical reason not to I would seriously like to mill out that pointless block and drop in a gen 1 bolt.  It has no affect on anything but giving the finger to the global gun grabbers would bring me pleasure.
They function the same. The only reason I see to make changes is to make a post 86 sample if you have the license to make one. If you want to make a bullet hose out of it, buy a binary trigger.

Offline Manticore_Arms

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2020, 06:34:24 PM »
The blocking bar was added some years ago and is now standard to prevent a CZ made full auto capable bolt from fitting an imported semi auto.  This is across the board for US and other markets.  I know as we ran into this in the shop when I went to swap bolts to check something and discovered the newer gun had the blocking bar and the older gun's bolt did not have the slot. 

There is no point in removing it, and no source legal full auto bolts, end of story.  You are simply defacing your receiver and risking any future warranty claims to CZ if you do so. 

I wouldn't waste your time.

Offline 9245

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2020, 09:53:18 PM »
The blocking bar was added some years ago and is now standard to prevent a CZ made full auto capable bolt from fitting an imported semi auto.  This is across the board for US and other markets.  I know as we ran into this in the shop when I went to swap bolts to check something and discovered the newer gun had the blocking bar and the older gun's bolt did not have the slot. 

There is no point in removing it, and no source legal full auto bolts, end of story.  You are simply defacing your receiver and risking any future warranty claims to CZ if you do so. 

I wouldn't waste your time.

I could actually see doing it for that reason, spare parts availability, the gen 2 can only take gen 2 bolts, the gen 1 can take any scorpion bolt you find.

I just resent having a modification that is not legally necessary. Batfe approved the old version there is just no need for this.  If inventory control is the issue, they can just make the world models hot pink and cover them in glitter and barbie and unicorn stickers, which would surely make it even more acceptable to european markets.

The whole thing is pointless anyway, if someone did have a full auto bolt they could easily just mill out the block or make the channel in the top of the bolt, pretty sure that should have no effect on the sear trip.  So the only purpose is to make the bed wetters happy that a scary full auto bolt “won’t fit.”

Offline OpusXJ

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2020, 07:04:55 PM »
You would gain nothing by running a gen 1 bolt, and a gen 1 bolt is still far different from a full auto bolt. A full auto bolt won't work in a semi gun even if it doesn't have the denial block in the upper as the trunnions are different.

Offline Asylum9

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2020, 10:11:34 PM »
You would gain nothing by running a gen 1 bolt, and a gen 1 bolt is still far different from a full auto bolt. A full auto bolt won't work in a semi gun even if it doesn't have the denial block in the upper as the trunnions are different.
Then why did cz  go through the trouble of changing it in the first place?  I'm just asking for curiosity reasons. I have a Gen 1 but even after looking at the photos, I still don't know what I'm looking at. Would a Gen 1 bolt be more desirable?  Can anything be done with a Gen 1 bolt that couldn't be accomplished with a 2 and some machine work?
In the ar world everyone wants the full auto bolt instead of the semi even though they have no intention of using full auto but just because it's mil spec. Would the same apply to the evo?
ApIII%

Offline 9245

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2020, 03:17:18 AM »

Exactly, so what’s the point of the block?

Offline 9245

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2020, 03:21:48 AM »
Then why did cz  go through the trouble of changing it in the first place?  I'm just asking for curiosity reasons. I have a Gen 1 but even after looking at the photos, I still don't know what I'm looking at. Would a Gen 1 bolt be more desirable?  Can anything be done with a Gen 1 bolt that couldn't be accomplished with a 2 and some machine work?
In the ar world everyone wants the full auto bolt instead of the semi even though they have no intention of using full auto but just because it's mil spec. Would the same apply to the evo?

I think it does, that’s kindof the angle I’m taking actually, I just see no reason to modify the bolt just as there is no reason to modify an AR bolt.

On the AR side, the full auto bolt is also preferred due to reliability, it has a bit more weight to work with so it has a better chance of chambering a round, plus some of the semi auto designs have the firing pin exposed, it was a design deliberately intended to cause a jam if you tried to convert it, the problem is it sometimes caused a jam even if you didn’t.

anything