Author Topic: SP-01 Tactical Ambi De-cocker Delete?  (Read 3170 times)

Offline Nomadmax

SP-01 Tactical Ambi De-cocker Delete?
« on: March 12, 2020, 04:55:26 AM »
I just picked up my new SP-01 Tactical from my LGS yesterday.  I haven't shot it yet but in doing some manual of arms/dry fire drills I can already tell the right side de-cock lever has to go.  I don't like having to open my grip to de-cock because the lever stops when the RS lever comes down on my knuckle.  What are my options?

Edited to add:

I have a P-01 that I really like a lot and the SP-01 had to be ordered as they didn't have one at the shop so I wasn't able to handle one.

Offline Tok36

Re: SP-01 Tactical Ambi De-cocker Delete?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2020, 11:11:20 AM »
I have seen it done a few times. The Right side lever can uninstalled, then the protruding decocking lever shaft can be cut down.  You may be able to even buy one already cut down from the custom shops, this may be worth further investigation.
Will work for CZ pics! (including but not limited to all CZ clones)

Offline Nomadmax

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2020, 11:57:17 AM »
Good idea.  I just sent CGW an e-mail.

Offline Grendel

• Administrator
  • 'Live Long, and Prosper'
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2020, 12:05:01 PM »
Decocking is done after you finish shooting whatever it is you were shooting at.

As a lefty, I have to adjust my grip to decock all my thus-equipped weapons. It's not an issue for me, since I find no need to decock between shots, unless I'm on the range and then neither time nor grip is critical. Even when qualifying, I only decock after the string is finished, not between individual shots. It's no different to applying a safety after chambering a round and before holstering.

Now, if it's causing an issue while actually shooting, then I can see why it might be necessary to remove or modify it.
Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges - Tacitus

Inter arma enim silent leges - Cicero

I wasn't born in America, but I got here as fast as I could.

Offline Nomadmax

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2020, 01:32:18 PM »
Decocking is done after you finish shooting whatever it is you were shooting at.

As a lefty, I have to adjust my grip to decock all my thus-equipped weapons. It's not an issue for me, since I find no need to decock between shots, unless I'm on the range and then neither time nor grip is critical. Even when qualifying, I only decock after the string is finished, not between individual shots. It's no different to applying a safety after chambering a round and before holstering.

Now, if it's causing an issue while actually shooting, then I can see why it might be necessary to remove or modify it.

I'm a righty and am spoiled.  Doors handles are on the  correct side,  mag releases and just about everything else in daily life is too ;)  Of course it doesn't interfere doing shooting but I don't have to break my grip for any reason with my P-01 and I want it that way on the SP-01 as well.

Offline dbarn

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2020, 01:53:23 PM »
I have seen it done a few times. The Right side lever can uninstalled, then the protruding decocking lever shaft can be cut down.  You may be able to even buy one already cut down from the custom shops, this may be worth further investigation.

Actually there is a production version single side already available that's flush to the right side. CGW has these in stock or did just ask them. I'm right-handed and use a high grip hold. The right side decock definitely had to go. There's a notch visible on the right side bottom that will allow you to place a small flat screwdriver or punch and depress a lever that holds the right side in place. Just depress while gently prying the right side off. Then be sure to lift the sear spring leg up out of its notch in the sear cage while pulling the left side out. I use an ice pic.

When re-inserting lift the sear spring leg again to allow it to pass underneath. Finally, the left side will stop just short of full insertion, push the spring-loaded internal decock lever down located on the far left side of the sear cage and shove the left side home.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 01:59:22 PM by dbarn »

Offline Tok36

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2020, 02:47:15 PM »
Good idea.  I just sent CGW an e-mail.

Let us know what you find out, we all learn from this stuff.
Will work for CZ pics! (including but not limited to all CZ clones)

Offline tdogg

• Two Alpha!
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2020, 02:48:17 PM »
As DBarn stated, you can install a 97BD decocker lever in an SP-01.  It drops right in.  Similarily, you can install a SP-01 ambi decocker lever on a 97BD.  I have done both, there is a thread with pictures here somewhere.

Cheers,
Toby
This forum rocks!

Offline cntrydawwwg

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2020, 08:47:25 PM »
I just pulled the right side off. The little tab sticking out doesn’t cause me an issue. YMMV
If guns are outlawed.........
 Only outlaws will have guns.

Offline Nomadmax

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2020, 04:26:58 AM »
I just pulled the right side off. The little tab sticking out doesn’t cause me an issue. YMMV

Thanks for the suggestions all.  I think in the meantime I'm going to pull the right side lever off.  I'll look for a you tube video on the disassembly.

EDIT

Success!  I found this video and removed the right side lever.  As mentioned above it does leave a nub sticking out but it doesn't interfere in any way. 

The video also shows how to take the de-cocker out completely so I'll find one of the above mentioned single side units and install it.  I did find this:

https://cajungunworks.com/product/60-75bd-decocker-lever-lh-side/

It says that it won't fit the SP-01 Tactical but I'm guessing it means that it won't fit by virtue that it isn't ambidextrous.  I'll wait to hear from CGW to confirm. 

Thanks to all who replied.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 05:12:18 AM by Nomadmax »

Offline tdogg

• Two Alpha!
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2020, 09:51:59 AM »
That will fit and function on your sp01 as previously mentioned.  It's the same part as used on 97bd/75bd.

Cheers,
Toby

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

This forum rocks!

Offline Nomadmax

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2020, 11:11:40 AM »
That will fit and function on your sp01 as previously mentioned.  It's the same part as used on 97bd/75bd.

Cheers,
Toby

I just got an e-mail from Thomas at CGW regarding a replacement lever for the left side only:

"We can mill the post down so that you only have one on the left side if that is what you are looking for.  There is not another lever for the gun though."

They're the go to place for these pistols, right?

Offline dbarn

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2020, 01:38:23 PM »

Cheers,
Toby

I just got an e-mail from Thomas at CGW regarding a replacement lever for the left side only:

"We can mill the post down so that you only have one on the left side if that is what you are looking for.  There is not another lever for the gun though."

They're the go to place for these pistols, right?

Ask to speak to David or Scott. tdogg gave good advice. I've had mine in for several years.

Offline Nomadmax

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2020, 01:52:40 PM »
Thank you  :)

And let me be clear here, I'm thankful to have forum members help me while I stumble around in the dark.

Offline dbarn

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2020, 04:43:03 PM »

anything