Author Topic: Modern indoor shooting range HVAC and filtration systems?  (Read 1237 times)

Offline Joe L

Modern indoor shooting range HVAC and filtration systems?
« on: March 16, 2020, 10:25:21 AM »
I'm thinking a modern indoor range with all of the fancy filtration systems will actually be a relatively safe place to spend some time, virus-wise, compared to grocery store or movie theater. 

I think I'll visit both my local outdoor and hi-tech indoor ranges this week.  And clean my keyboard.  And take some photos.  And not watch the news. 

Joe
CZ-75B 9mm and Kadet, 97B"E", two P-09's, P-07, P-10C, P-10F, P-10S, MTR

Offline jurek

• NRA Pistol Instructor, RSO
Re: Modern indoor shooting range HVAC and filtration systems?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2020, 10:43:48 AM »
Stay safe !

I'd recommend OUTDOOR if you get a choice. It's not about HVAC and good filtration... Covid-19 stays on surfaces for few days... Less building structures means less stress  ;)
Outdoor keeps you safer if you keep distance of few feet and don't let other to sneeze or cough on you.

Offline Vinny

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2020, 10:56:10 AM »
Good Idea.
I'm not much of an indoors guy. Cabin Fever already.
I'm heading to our outdoor gun club range today. Big 40' wide individual shooting berms with no one else within 50'. Put 12 miles fast ride on the bicycle yesterday. Tak'in the boat out on the lake tomorrow.
We were going to take a trip to visit our Nephew's Family. Mailed them the money today instead.

Trying to make the best out of this mess. My glass is still at least 1/2 Full no matter what.
With plenty of time to count our blessings.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 01:20:09 PM by Vinny, Reason: Add info »
"Fear is a reaction, Courage is a decision"
"Carpe Diem"

Offline seebee62

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2020, 01:12:33 PM »
I considered going to the range this week but decided to hold on to the ammo that I have just in case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline RoverSig

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2020, 02:42:18 PM »
A lot of people come and go from our local indoor range.  Ventilation is sort of iffy - I think it involves the air being sucked up and out of the range space. 

I agree with earlier posts that an outdoor range would be preferable at this point - so I am going to be looking for one further out of town.

It's always good to have some ammo stashed away.

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2020, 04:54:32 PM »
Indoor outdoor I don't think it matters so much as the things you have to touch that others touched before you. I shoot at a nicely vented indoor range but there are a main entrance and 2 more doors to go through before you're on the range and the same upon exit. Be clean people.
As an auto tech with 30+ years experience I can tell everyone the NASTIEST place you can find yourself is often in someone else's vehicle. People sneeze and cough in the cars interior at will among all the other foulness they leave in their vehicles. I've seen nasty gas station restrooms in better shape inside than some of the vehicles people ride around in.

Offline drband

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2020, 09:59:59 AM »
So far, our DNR outdoor range is open.  I hope to pay a visit soon.  It would seem like a very safe environment compared to almost anything else.

Offline Atomic Punk

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2020, 12:21:55 PM »
Virginia Governor closed indoor ranges but, as far as I can tell, not gun stores.

Offline eastman

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2020, 08:27:12 PM »
Stay safe !

I'd recommend OUTDOOR if you get a choice. It's not about HVAC and good filtration... Covid-19 stays on surfaces for few days... Less building structures means less stress  ;)
Outdoor keeps you safer if you keep distance of few feet and don't let other to sneeze or cough on you.

most of the northern ILL-annoy indoor ranges are still open and my local OUTDOOR range is closed until at least April. I might be crossing the border to stop at a range next week.
I don't look like my avatar!

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
  • Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2020, 04:01:54 PM »
Indoor outdoor I don't think it matters so much as the things you have to touch that others touched before you.

THIS !!

Think of all the door handles, counter tops, and the grips on rental gun that get shared over and over and over.

:P
In God we trust; On 'Starting Load' we rely.

Offline Kneab

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2020, 04:51:39 PM »
I want to go to my local range also. If they are open, you still have to touch 2 Doors to enter the Gun Shop and another two doors to enter the range. Then touch the controls for sending your targets out and retracting them plus touching your own gun and bringing those germs home. Plus with the amount of air movement in the range, if someone sneezes on the other side of the room the ventilation will pull it right past you. If I can't shoot outside I think I'm just going to have to wait until this virus settles down.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

anything