Author Topic: Dead Air Muzzle Device Interest?  (Read 2683 times)

wags68

Dead Air Muzzle Device Interest?
« on: March 23, 2020, 01:55:49 PM »
I am trying to see if other members are interested in putting in a group buy with Dead Air for their muzzle devices.  I had talked to Rod at Dead Air and said it may be possible to have a run made if they had enough interest.

Let me know if you would like to be a part of a production run for 14x1RH Dead Air Muzzle Devices.

Thanks!

Offline DekNgo

Re: Dead Air Muzzle Device Interest?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2020, 02:56:25 PM »
I'm definitely interested.

I've spoken to Austin Green with Griffin about creating a 14x1RH in their minimalist taper mounts as well, but never got much traction.  Maybe if we had enough interested members they'd be willing to make a batch as well.

Offline DekNgo

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2020, 02:59:15 PM »
I am trying to see if other members are interested in putting in a group buy with Dead Air for their muzzle devices.  I had talked to Rod at Dead Air and said it may be possible to have a run made if they had enough interest.

Let me know if you would like to be a part of a production run for 14x1RH Dead Air Muzzle Devices.

Thanks!

Wait, I presume you're talking about KeyMo mounts, right?

wags68

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2020, 04:04:33 PM »
Wait, I presume you're talking about KeyMo mounts, right?

Yes, for use with their Silencers like the Sandman.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2022, 03:59:47 PM by Wobbly »

Offline RSR

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2020, 11:40:34 PM »
This is a customer base where most purchased $1,200+ plus weapons in current day prices (premium AK level customers).  Many of the early gen (I'd guess at least 2/3rds of VZ58's sold) have 15.5" barrels requiring fixed muzzle devices -- the later ones and VZ2008s do not however.

Basically, no one else is serving this community and weapon system on the suppressor front, and due to essentially having a captive audience (especially for those who would "permanently" affix their muzzle device) making muzzle devices provides them with great upsell (i.e., their suppressor line) IF they have the sense to first make the muzzle devices available.  I don't see how they could possibly lose money.  Especially since it's just a matter of threading in a different direction AND they're muzzle devices are full-priced at $90, definitely not loss-leaders intended to foster greater revenues through upsells.

Offline sboone

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2020, 12:29:06 PM »
Id probably be in for a 14x1RH flash hider.  Normally I wouldn't think of doing a pin and weld on my Dtech but theres so many good suppressors that use DA keymo that its really not a risk.  Any muzzle device is better than none

Offline N_Parker

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2020, 08:33:18 PM »
I had a friend of mine machine out a couple  1/2-28 Sico brakes to 14x1mm RH.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2022, 04:01:41 PM by Wobbly »

Offline RSR

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2020, 10:13:47 PM »

Just torque against front sight block?  Is there a shim there?

Offline N_Parker

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2020, 02:52:18 AM »

Just torque against front sight block?  Is there a shim there?

Yes, and I did have to use a couple of shims between the brake and front sight block to get the ports aligned horizontally.  Also used some Flexbar Rocksett to lock it in place.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 06:06:06 AM by N_Parker »

Offline RSR

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2020, 12:13:54 PM »
Yes, and I did have to use a couple of shims between the brake and front sight block to get the ports aligned horizontally.  Also used some Flexbar Rocksett to lock it in place.

Thanks.  So it didn't/couldn't use the retention pin on the FSB?  I've never used Rocksett w/ a teflon coating like on VZ2008s, and just wondering amount of prep that's prudent there...  And that's a micro pistol?  Which caliber?
« Last Edit: November 04, 2022, 04:05:23 PM by Wobbly »

wags68

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2020, 03:01:01 PM »
I may have to go with the same route as you and find a machine shop to do the work.  Hadn't thought about that before.

Offline N_Parker

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2020, 04:50:01 PM »
Thanks.  So it didn't/couldn't use the retention pin on the FSB?  I've never used Rocksett w/ a teflon coating like on VZ2008s, and just wondering amount of prep that's prudent there...  And that's a micro pistol?  Which caliber?

Yep it's a SBRd 5.56 compact pistol.  I'm waiting on a precision ground drill rod (McMaster Carr) to make sure everything is aligned (brake and 5.56 Sico Saker) before I shoot it with the can. The Extra effort is worth it because you do not typically tighten up against a sight block that may or may not be perfectly perpendicular to the bore. If I see any issues (minor of course) I'll just shoot it with my 7.62 Saker but I'm sure it will be fine.

I thought about milling a notch in it so it would index on the detent but it really isn't worth the extra effort because I can't think of a reason for removing the brake on a regular basis.
I always Rocksett my suppressor brakes, flash hiders and 3 lug adapters.  I just spray down the threads with some brake clean before I apply the Rocksett.  I have never had a problem with anything coming loose.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2022, 04:02:11 PM by Wobbly »

Offline RSR

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2020, 01:00:57 PM »
I'm a big fan of rockset and use it on everything that gets hot -- gas block screws, muzzle devices, etc.  But the point about the detent is as an add'l retaining mechanism, etc., even though it prob isn't needed. 

If you want to get really crazy, brake cleaner followed by windex followed by 90% rubbing alcohol cleans pretty much everything off...

Offline czrob2

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2022, 03:57:57 PM »
Did anything happen with this?  I'm looking at getting a silencer for my Vz.58 pistol and without the KNS adapter, there is nothing out there.

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
  • Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2022, 04:09:51 PM »
Did anything happen with this?  I'm looking at getting a silencer for my Vz.58 pistol and without the KNS adapter, there is nothing out there.

Proabably not. The OP got in deep trouble with the Mods of this forum.
He took a short sabbatical and never came back. Original post was from 2020.

Check Bonesteel Arms. They carry a wide variety of muzzle breaks.
https://www.bonesteelarms.com/product-category/muzzle-devices/
In God we trust; On 'Starting Load' we rely.

anything