Author Topic: Removing FPB from B series CZ 75  (Read 1353 times)

Offline falar

Removing FPB from B series CZ 75
« on: March 23, 2020, 11:07:11 PM »
I know this conversion has been done, but what all is involved?

Are the extra parts simply removed or do they actually machine the rear of the slide to accept a firing pin retention plate and fill in the holes for the FPRP?

I'm trying to build an SP-01 to use exclusively as a suppressor host but sadly the model sold as one has both a FPB and decocker.  I can't just add a barrel and sights to a Shadow 1 because the rear sight cuts don't have any suppressor sights.

The only thing I can think of is basically -- buying an SP-01 safety model, adding a threaded barrel and the tall sights, and then having the slide altered and FPB parts removed.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 09:04:38 AM by Grendel »

Offline Tok36

Re: Removing FPB from B series CZ 75
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2020, 12:29:46 AM »
   Removing the FPB from a CZ75 variant B (safety) model requires the removal of two parts and the replacement of one part. Two parts are removed form the slide, the FPB Plunger and the FPB Plunger Spring. The factory FPB Lifter Arm located in the frame is replaced with a spacer. Another frame part option is to replace the B model sear with a wider pre-B/Shadow sear. This sear is wider and takes up the extra space created when you remove the FPB Lifter Arm.

There is no required machining involved.

This applies to CZ safety models only. CZ Decocker models require the FPB to be left intact.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 10:52:58 PM by Tok36, Reason: Spelling, Clarity. »
Will work for CZ pics! (including but not limited to all CZ clones)

Offline falar

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2020, 09:28:48 AM »
I thought there were more in-depth "conversions" done as I dug up an old post where someone was complaining of the open hole where the firing pin retention pin used to be after doing the conversion.  I assumed that meant they had the rear of the slide machined to accept a plate like non-FPB guns use to retain the firing pin and were using a standard firing pin.

Hmm, I guess I'll need to re-think what I'm trying to do.

Offline himurax13

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2020, 02:23:38 PM »
This model seems to made specifically for Suppressor use.

If you have a decocker model, the Firing Pin Block serves as the only safety.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Offline ams

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2020, 05:11:40 PM »
I don't like suppressor height sights unless I going to cowitness my front sight with a red dot.  I find it just as easy to look through the suppressor as I focus on my front sight.  I will eventually get an SP-01 Shadow and then buy a threaded barrel for it.  In the mean time, I just bought one of the older, black P09s that is suppressor ready and on sale. 

Offline falar

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2020, 07:35:46 PM »
I don't like suppressor height sights unless I going to cowitness my front sight with a red dot.  I find it just as easy to look through the suppressor as I focus on my front sight.  I will eventually get an SP-01 Shadow and then buy a threaded barrel for it.  In the mean time, I just bought one of the older, black P09s that is suppressor ready and on sale.

Tried "shooting through the can" and hated it. 

I know this model exists but I won't own a CZ with a decocker or a FPB (or a frame that isn't steel).

Offline himurax13

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2020, 08:05:08 PM »

Tried "shooting through the can" and hated it. 

I know this model exists but I won't own a CZ with a decocker or a FPB (or a frame that isn't steel).
This gun is steel. Why the hate on the firing pin block? If you upgrade it, the difference in comparison to a full custom Shadow is basically negligible.  You could probably use those sights as well.

If it bothers you that much, just sell the slide and replace it with a Shadow Slide. You will need to replace the firing pin lifter with a spacer and upgrade the rest of the gun as needed.

Offline falar

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2020, 08:13:26 PM »
I wasn't implying that the SR SP-01 isn't steel framed.

I have 12 CZs, love the platform.  However, I think for the best CZ experience the following three are required:

1.  Steel frame
2.  Safety, not decocker or Omega
3.  No FPB

I strictly stick to those criteria as I find the shooting experience and trigger to be amazing.  I briefly had a standard SP-01 safety model and I found the trigger to be disgusting compared to my S1, S2s, and TSOs and promptly sold it.  I know there are people out there happy with Phantoms/P-07sP-09s or whatever and good for them but it isn't for me.

However, to replicate a model like this it appears I'm in for a pretty large custom job.  The simplest solution would be to add a barrel and sights to a S1 but the kicker there is the sights, I've yet to find a tall rear sight that is compatible with the cut-outs.

I guess at this point I could get a regular SP-01 safety model, add the sights and barrel and remove the FPB.  This is what led me to this question;  I wonder if a "full conversion" could be done where the FPB is not only removed but the rear of the slide is also milled to allow for the installation of a FPRP and standard firing pin.  Then maybe the holes in the slide where the roll pin would normally go could be filled.

I am a prisoner to OCD.

Offline Tok36

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2020, 08:44:10 PM »

I have 12 CZs, love the platform.  However, I think for the best CZ experience the following three are required:

1.  Steel frame
3.  No FPB

I strictly stick to those criteria as I find the shooting experience and trigger to be amazing.  I briefly had a standard SP-01 safety model and I found the trigger to be disgusting compared to my S1, S2s, and TSOs and promptly sold it.  I know there are people out there happy with Phantoms/P-07sP-09s or whatever and good for them but it isn't for me.

However, to replicate a model like this it appears I'm in for a pretty large custom job.  The simplest solution would be to add a barrel and sights to a S1 but the kicker there is the sights, I've yet to find a tall rear sight that is compatible with the cut-outs.

I guess at this point I could get a regular SP-01 safety model, add the sights and barrel and remove the FPB.  This is what led me to this question;  I wonder if a "full conversion" could be done where the FPB is not only removed but the rear of the slide is also milled to allow for the installation of a FPRP and standard firing pin.  Then maybe the holes in the slide where the roll pin would normally go could be filled.

I am a prisoner to OCD.

I think that you may be looking at this the wrong way. himurax13 has already mentioned above that you could sell the SP-01 slide and buy a Shadow slide to replace it. I do not see any point in modifying an FPB slide into a non-FPB (Shadow) slide nor do i believe anyone would be willing to accept the job to do so. Once you acquire a shadow slide you could buy a barrel and have the rear sight dovetail reprofiled to accept almost any sight that you want.

Maybe i am missing something.

Will work for CZ pics! (including but not limited to all CZ clones)

Offline falar

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2020, 10:11:44 PM »

1.  Steel frame
3.  No FPB

I am a prisoner to OCD.

I think that you may be looking at this the wrong way. himurax13 has already mentioned above that you could sell the SP-01 slide and buy a Shadow slide to replace it. I do not see any point in modifying an FPB slide into a non-FPB (Shadow) slide nor do i believe anyone would be willing to accept the job to do so. Once you acquire a shadow slide you could buy a barrel and have the rear sight dovetail reprofiled to accept almost any sight that you want.

Maybe i am missing something.

Well if milling the rear sight cuts to a different pattern on a S1 slide to a type that has tall sights (like bo-mar cuts maybe?  they seem similar) then the clear route to go is just to add a threaded barrel to a S1 and then get the rear sight cutout milled and new sights installed.  Thanks, I had no idea that was even an option.