Author Topic: Possible to convert DA/SA to DAO?  (Read 1380 times)

Offline daved20319

Possible to convert DA/SA to DAO?
« on: March 25, 2020, 12:52:28 AM »
Kind of feeling the need for a DA gun, but not sure I want a revolver.  I know at least some DA/SA's can be converted to SAO, but what about DAO?  I have a 97 BD that's gotten overshadowed by my Sig P220, if I could convert it to DAO, it would have a purpose again, if not, I'll probably sell it to finance something else.  I've looked at Sig and HK's version of DAO, not what I'm looking for.  A Beretta 92 D would certainly do the job, but finding one is turning out to be a challenge.  Found one on another forum, but the seller refuses to ship, and there's no way I can rationalize a 5-600 mile road trip  ::).  Appreciate any info/ideas, thanks.

Dave 

Offline Tok36

Re: Possible to convert DA/SA to DAO?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2020, 02:04:30 AM »
   I have seen this subject come up a number of times here on the forums but i have not heard a clear answer on it. I am still unclear on how a CZ 75 variant Double Action Only works. I have some ideas about how it would function but they are guesses at this point.

There are a limited number of CZ DAO factory pistols out there but they are based on safety models and the safety levers are removed. Hopefully someone with an understanding of how these DAOs work will contribute to the thread.
Will work for CZ pics! (including but not limited to all CZ clones)

Offline tdogg

• Two Alpha!
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2020, 02:13:08 AM »
Dave,

You could pick up a CZ DAO.  I had the opportunity years ago to purchase one at my local shop but passed.  I probably should have picked it up.  It was a very smooth trigger pull.  It was heavy and long (as any DA is) but it was very slick.  An extended firing pin and lighter main spring would have really make it sweet!

https://czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=81475.0

The other DAO is the Colt Z40 that was the joint venture with CZ that didn't really pan out.  I haven't seen one of those in person.

I'm not sure what is required to convert a gun to DAO?  I guess you would just have to remove the sear or at least the sear face the interacts with the hammer hooks?  I'd be concerned about hammer follow fire I think?

Cheers,
Toby

This forum rocks!

Offline Tok36

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2020, 02:36:39 AM »
^^I figure either the sear is deactivated or the hammer hooks are not present on the DAO hammers. The hammer follow had crossed my mind as well. If you look at post#7 in the thread you linked Psyop96 mentions that the hammer follows the slide back in to battery. Interesting stuff.
Will work for CZ pics! (including but not limited to all CZ clones)

Offline daved20319

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2020, 11:38:42 AM »
Hammer follow is my concern, that turning the bleep thing into a machine pistol!  Will check out that link, Tdogg, thanks, and I guess I might just have to start looking for a DAO CZ, too.  Thanks, guys.

Dave

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2020, 12:05:23 PM »
Seems like removing the hooks on the hammer would be pretty simple. A quick email to CGW or CZC would probably net a complete answer. Might work ok with a reach reduction kit and a lighter hammer spring.

Offline daved20319

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2020, 04:32:22 PM »
Got emails out to both, will just have to wait and see what they say.  Already have a RRK and a lighter hammer spring, I installed a CGW Pro Package in it last year.  Thought this was going to be one of those "never sell" guns, but my Sig surprised me, it's become one of my all time favorite hand guns.  Anyway, will post an update when/if I hear back from the gurus.  Later.

Dave

The Guardian

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2020, 06:54:37 PM »
Got emails out to both, will just have to wait and see what they say.  Already have a RRK and a lighter hammer spring, I installed a CGW Pro Package in it last year. Thought this was going to be one of those "never sell" guns, but my Sig surprised me, it's become one of my all time favorite hand guns.  Anyway, will post an update when/if I hear back from the gurus.  Later.

Dave

I used to be a follower of this philosophy in a limited form, BUT there are far too many guns and not enough time or money.....so I am no longer of that "never sell" mindset...for better or worse  ::) 

anything