Author Topic: Bren 2 MS handguard removal stripped screw  (Read 346 times)

Offline Doctor Castle

Bren 2 MS handguard removal stripped screw
« on: March 27, 2020, 10:28:39 PM »
Very happy to receive my HBI handguard today. Everything went well when trying to remove the factory handguard, until I turned it over and tried to remove the two T25 screws attaching the handguard to the upper receiver. I stripped the fudge out of these guys. I tried both the T25 wrench HBI sent, and my T25 drill. After using the drill they no longer look like torx screws and now look like circles with a concentric circle within them. Any ideas on how to get them off at this point without damaging the rest of the firearm? I don't know why they're so tight. They came off easily on the reverse side.

Offline Martini577450

Re: Bren 2 MS handguard removal stripped screw
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2020, 12:24:01 PM »
I'm not sure what to do about that,  might have to go to a gunsmith. What caliber and barrel length do you have? I was going to install mine today.

Offline Manticore_Arms

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2020, 05:52:52 PM »
you can get stripped head screw extractor tools to get them out.

That being said, hit it with a micro torch or propane torch to heat it up and break down the loctite first.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 12:32:59 AM by Manticore_Arms »

Offline Martini577450

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2020, 08:33:43 PM »
I just changed my hand guard. I used a heat gun and warmed each screw for 15 -20 seconds and they came out fine.  My pistol has a bayonet lug. Instead of loosening the lug as HBI recommended in the written directions, I slid the barrel assembly out of the reciever after removing the necessary screws and supports,  then slid the hand guard over past the bayonet lug and reinstalled everything back into the upper reciever and then tightened it all back.  Heat is necessary for this modification.

Offline Doctor Castle

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2020, 09:20:08 AM »
Totally meant to respond earlier. I ended up using an extractor drill bit set. But holy smack were those things tight. Even with the extractor it was difficult. Totally should have heated it instead. I don't think I damaged anything, hopefully.

Absolutely LOVE the HBI handguard though. More real estate, better ergonomics, cleaner look, less junk sticking out. Well worth the price and struggle, ha.