Author Topic: So, a thought on magazine differences 7.62x39mm  (Read 1260 times)

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
So, a thought on magazine differences 7.62x39mm
« on: April 05, 2020, 10:00:43 PM »
In the deal I got, two kinds of 30 round mags came wit it, the original translucent and a newer solid black mag. The age is easy to determine with the universal poly date stamps - the transluscent were made June of 2017, and the black October of 2019. There are some interesting differences,

The first VERY obvious difference was the ridges on the back of the magazine, wide and blocky in the original and tapered in the new. It made a difference in how easy it was to slam the mag home. The original will actually digi into my hand when seating. 

Next, markings changed a lot, and so did the mag catch - look.

Another odd marking that makes no sense on the new one, couldn't get it to focus very well.

Another quick observation - the translucent one does NOT like to load 30 rounds, will NOT lock into place in the firearm with 30 rounds on board. When it is locked it is pretty steady, but takes extra pressure on the mag release to drop free.
The solid new ones wiggle more in the mag well, but lock in easily fully loaded, and drop free with no extra effort. I have no feed tested either one, will HOPEFULLY be out to the range on Tuesday, after brace installation.

Anyone else noticed this? Am I behind the curve again??
« Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 10:11:01 PM by armoredman »

Offline lordboogie

Re: So, a thought on magazine differences 7.62x39mm
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2020, 12:44:48 AM »
I had the same experience with the translucent mags as you did with them not easily sitting in the Bren fully loaded. I ended up returning all the translucent mags I brought and brought all black ones.

They insert easier fully loaded, have steel feed lips and overall I think are better quality, even though I really like the look of the translucent mags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline mig1nc

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2020, 07:55:37 AM »
That's pretty interesting. Thanks for posting.

For cool factor, the translucent ones are king. But that's good to know about all of the improvements made in the newer ones.

Plus we all know black polymer is stronger than translucent.

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2020, 10:22:09 PM »
Both worked just fine today. I still like the black ones better.