Author Topic: BREN 2 Carbine spotted!  (Read 3804 times)

Offline mag318

Re: BREN 2 Carbine spotted!
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2020, 07:11:53 PM »
There was a Gun Broker dealer with 3 of them for $1875 and I was very tempted, now they are all sold. The only thing that I didn't like was that unlike the Bren 2 pistols the carbines come with no back up iron sights. And since these are starting to roll out now I think I'll wait a month or two and I'll bet the prices drop substantially. Looking forward to seeing some online reviews soon, I'm sure YouTubers like Military Arms Channel will do a review as soon as he gets his hands on one.

Offline EFR

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2020, 10:40:49 PM »
Yes.  I have not shot either.  I am waiting for a stock for the 14" pistol, and then will form one it.  I hope to shoot the 16" soon, but work is busy (non essential time off denied).  I do not own a can, sorry. 
« Last Edit: June 27, 2020, 08:04:24 AM by Wobbly »

Offline EFR

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2020, 09:51:14 PM »
A few observations on the Bren 2 carbine:

From the front, the Bren 2 carbine has the same muzzle brake as the 805.  The barrel profile is heavier than either the 805 or the Bren 2 pistol (I did not mic it).  Although the barrel profile is heavier on the Bren 2 carbine, it has less overall weight than the 805 carbine.  The gas system is different than the 805 as well. The 805 uses a barrel length specific gas tube (as CZ calls it) and the piston, spring, buffer etc. is a component piece.  The Bren 2 uses a similar barrel length specific gas tube, but there is a separate piece that fits between the piston and the tube, similar to the B&T APC. 

[Google photo content expired.]

Top:  Brugger and Thomet APC223, middle: CZ Bren 2 carbine, bottom: CZ bren 805 carbine

The handguard on the Bren 2 is quite solid, with no play whatsoever.  The handguard on the Bren 2 is both longer and narrower than on the 805.  The Bren 2 also does not have the 'rails' (for lack of a better word) that the 805 has at the 3 and 9 o'clock positions.  Unfortunately, the Bren 2 does not come with backup sights, which is disappointing. Both models of 805 (pistol and carbine) and all Bren 2 pistols ship with BUIS. 

As widely known, the 805 has a reciprocating charging handle, the Bren 2 does not.  The 805 has one of the smoothest actions of any self loader sold today. This particular Bren 2 does not.  It is not bad, in fact it is very smooth for a brand new gun, but it is not 805 smooth.  It is not as smooth as the Bren 2 pistol pictured in an earlier post. 

The trigger on the Bren 2 is very, very good.  For a factory gun, it is excellent.  The break is excellent, the reset is a little long.  The trigger is plastic and pretty wide.  Nobody will make much money selling aftermarket triggers for the Bren 2.

The controls on the Bren 2 are laid out very well.  The magazine release is closer to the grip and easier to reach than the 805.  There is a bolt release inside the trigger guard as well.  There is also a 'ping pong paddle' bolt release similar to the AR on the left size of the Bren 2 as well.  Both the 805 and Bren 2 have ambi mag releases.  The safety lever however is very short and stiff.  It is difficult to flip back and forth without conscious effort or repositioning the shooting hand.  The pistol grip on both the 805 and Bren 2 have interchangeable backstraps, but are not removable.  Both are very nice.  The Bren 2 has a more aggressive texture.  Both are excellent. 

The stock on the Bren 2 is adjustable for length of pull and folds to the right.  Unlike the 805, the stock clips to the ejection port buffer when folded.  The check riser on the Bren 2 is high and non adjustable.  It is held in place by a captive pin and I would expect different heights to be made available in the future.  The Bren 2 stock is sleeker and more streamlined, but the 805 feels slightly more comfortable with optics due to the snap on cheek riser.   The Bren 2 stock has a small amount of play when locked open.  Not bad at all.  This is not a tolerance issue, but I believe flex in the stock material.  The 805 has none.  The butt on the Bren 2 is a very hard rubber, compared to the plastic on the 805 (both first and second generation stock). 

The one 805 carbine I a familiar with is a solid 1.5+" moa gun. I have not shot the Bren 2 to date. 
« Last Edit: June 27, 2020, 08:02:56 AM by Wobbly »

Offline mag318

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2020, 11:35:24 AM »
EFR. Tim at the Military Arms Channel just did an excellent video review of the Bren 2. My only concern are the gas regulator settings, seems like the smaller orifice should be setting number 1 and not 2. What do you think?

Offline rc4ch

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2020, 12:51:03 PM »
Compared to the pistols, it looks like they got switched.

Offline BisonWorld

« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2020, 01:48:58 PM »
Setting 1 is the standard use setting for the carbine, setting 2 is a supressor setting rather than an adverse condition setting.

Offline Magsz

« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2020, 05:53:15 PM »
Setting 1 is the standard use setting for the carbine, setting 2 is a supressor setting rather than an adverse condition setting.

So the carbine has adverse, suppressor and off?

Why does CZ insist on adding an off setting?  I dont get it at all.

Offline BisonWorld

« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2020, 08:09:30 PM »

Carbine has standard, suppressor and off. There is no adverse.

Pistol/pistol length gas system guns have standard, adverse, and off.

Offline Magsz

« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2020, 08:23:46 PM »

Carbine has standard, suppressor and off. There is no adverse.

Pistol/pistol length gas system guns have standard, adverse, and off.

Got it!  That's what I meant to say.  Not having a standard position would be stupid.  Thanks for clarifying. :)

Offline NW-Wombat

« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2020, 06:49:28 PM »
have these come in only as an initial shipment? My question is how long until we see an abundance of carbines like there are for the pistols.