Author Topic: P-10F at 100 yards from a bench today, best groups ever, roughest barrel I have  (Read 841 times)

Online Joe L

I went to the range today primarily just to get some additional trigger time with the Savage Mark 2 .22 rifle I've been struggling with.  After 80 rounds with no good results, I cased it up and put it in the truck and got out the P-10F.  Very windy day, which kept a lot of people away, I had the 100 yard bay to myself, so I checked the zero at 50, went 2 clicks left, shot 10 rounds at 100 but had the aim point too high, lowered the aim point and shot 10 rounds as carefully as I could.  Here is a very short video, with the dead time between shots removed. 

This is as good as it gets for me with a striker fired service pistol.  Actually, this is as good as I can do with a match grade custom 1911 bullseye pistol, I think.  The group size is completely dependent on how consistently I can duplicate the dot placement on the aim point.  I'm pretty good at not moving the gun when pulling the trigger, even a striker trigger. 

The very rough P-10F barrel grooves certainly doesn't seem to have any deleterious effects on the accuracy.  Every shot today was pretty much where I thought it would be, even though the barrel went through a very thorough cleaning during the borescope exercise.  I will borescope it again tonight or tomorrow after patching the loose carbon out just to see how much copper has already filled in some of the rough spots in the grooves.  But I'll just remove the carbon and leave the copper this time. 

Joe
« Last Edit: May 09, 2020, 01:07:38 PM by Joe L »
CZ-75B 9mm and Kadet, 97B"E", two P-09's, P-07, P-10C, P-10F, P-10S, MTR

Offline Rmach

Outstanding Joe!!!

Offline Joe Allen

"I think that's pretty good for a windy day with a service pistol."

Understatement of the year, right there!

Europe

Amazing group. You would easily outshoot an AR at 100 yards :D.

Online Joe L

Thanks, gentlemen, yep, I had a very good day with the P-10F. 

For those of you who haven't been following the gun cleaning/borescope posts, here is a short video showing what this barrel looked like before going to the range on Friday, and then after 35 shots on Friday, including the last 10 shots in the video above.   You will see what I meant by "roughest barrel I have". 

Joe

Online Joe L

So, in the last few weeks I've shot several pistols at 100 yards.  I thought the best one would be a hand fitted Kart match barrel 1911 with a red dot.  Lock up is so tight I have to bump it with my palm to get to to come out of battery when I first load it up.  So tight that I have to slingshot it on the first round or it won't go to full lock up.  And I got a 3-1/2" group at 100 yards with it first day I tried it.  All good, and, to tell you the truth, I fully expected it to be that good. 

But then comes the P-10F OR, factory barrel, factory lock up, a red dot and a few CGW parts, nothing I couldn't duplicate in an hour if the parts were handy.  In the wind, with very little practice, and after a frustrating 80 rounds with a .22 rifle, I got a better result than with the hand fitted match grade 1911.  I nearly matched the best I had ever done with the P-09 (3-1/4" 5 shot), which is my standard for bench rest 100 yard pistols.  I can only conclude that the lock up design and timing of the P-09/10 pistols is just superb.  Even the tiny little P-10S made a great showing at 100 yards and it should be sloppy compared to the longer barrel pistols.

So there may be some manufacturing tolerances for the trigger and frame parts that are a challenge for the aftermarket folks like CGW, but the barrels and slides seem to have extremely tight tolerances.  I've always been happy with the accuracy of my P-09/07 pistols, and now I have no trouble concluding that the tolerances have been carried over to the striker guns as well.  Near as I can tell, my particular P-10F (thank you, CZ Forum) is as good as my P-09, and that is a quite pleasant surprise, as I thought I had an extraordinary P-09, and didn't expect to ever see a striker gun come close to it at a 100 yards.

I just like shooting plastic CZ red dot equipped 9mm pistols, once fitted with a few CGW parts and good ammo.     

Joe