Author Topic: Jack of all trades rifle?  (Read 3659 times)

Offline wagon

Re: Jack of all trades rifle?
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2020, 09:13:27 PM »
Mine will be the 10.5” AR pistol 556 with a Leupold VX-R 1.25-4x Firedot. 

It’s light and handy, Firedot works as RDS, with up-to 4x at disposal for longer range if required.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline RSR

« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2020, 10:56:54 PM »
Hey, I am trying to brainstorm a jack of all trades rifle. I only have a 22lr bolt action, and I'd like something decently powerful that can fill multiple roles like self defense, home defense, trunk gun, basic hunting, etc.

What I was thinking was a 10.5" AR pistol in .300 blackout. The benefit of that is I can use my conceal carry license with it and keep it in my car. I heard about reliability issues with 223 out of a short barrel like that.
 What do you guys think?
UMMMMM, NOT.
Can't imagine where you heard that rumor from.
Somebody must have bought a real crappy short barrel AR pistol from somewhere. I've got an aero precision 5.56 ...10 .5 "...no problems whatsoever.
I think you better do more research.

BCM only sells 11.5" and 12.5" barrels for a reason. 

10.5" Mk18s were optimized for use w/ suppressors AND running same overall length as 14.5" M4 carbines...
Most of the rest of the 10.5" since are just copies/clones of that rifle...

Additionally, if you want to go short w/ .223/5.56, you can do so, but they're by far the most reliable w/ a piston system like Adams Arms. 

Personally, I'd say 12.5" is ideal for .223/5.56, especially if your defensive rounds are steel ball. 

Offline RSR

« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2020, 11:14:27 PM »
I’m very biased, but my VZ58 CQB model has become my current “Jack of all trades” rifle. I know that 5.56 would suffice for most situations I’d possibly find myself in but, I just prefer a slightly larger caliber carbine for bigger 4-legged threats, especially since that’s a greater risk for me living in a rural, wooded area.

An SBRed 7.62x39 in the 12.5" length is pretty awesome.  Shouldn't be any issues with over-pressure (meaning you can use all muzzle devices) and you're getting the vast majority of the ballistic performance.  And unlike .300 BLK, there's zero kaboom risk w/ 5.56.

More: http://demigodllc.com/articles/7.62x39-improving-the-military-standard/

Also, can't stress enough the importance of not mixing .300 BLK and 5.56.  Pick one or the other -- and my advice on that front is 5.56.

And if you have a subsonic itch, build a pistol-caliber AR.

anything