Author Topic: Magpul mag causing wired malfunction  (Read 579 times)

Offline Chuckinator

Magpul mag causing wired malfunction
« on: May 11, 2020, 10:59:02 PM »
Tried out a magpul mag. Consistently has about 2-3 failure to fully eject spent case per mag.The next round feeds/chambers but the spent case ends up sideways in the action blocking the bolt from going into battery. I have 2 CZ factory,2 manticore, 2 PSA mags, all work flawlessly. My Scorpion pistol is 1st generation if that makes any difference. Anyone else have problems with magpul mags?

Offline Pcherry1973

Re: Magpul mag causing wired malfunction
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2020, 11:09:55 PM »
Well. I just ordered 4 of them, so I hope it's not a common issue.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

Offline Chuckinator

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2020, 11:24:35 PM »
I ask the same question on Facebook scorpion group. Most replied no problems. But there were a few who had the exact same issue.

Offline Destructo6

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2020, 06:28:04 PM »
That is, indeed, a weird malfunction.

Are you seeing any scuffing on the feed lips?

Offline CZCharlie

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2020, 06:43:35 PM »
I have seen this issue when the magazine is not fully seated. A friend of mine was shooting my scorpion and had this issue. I told him to slap the bottom of the magazine to make sure it was seated and the problem disappeared.

Offline motorolanut

• “Character is what you are in the dark.”
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2020, 07:00:44 AM »
Another reason to stick with the PSA mags.  Sure glad I did.
Virtue has united, death shall not separate

Offline Cohenj87

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2020, 07:18:54 PM »
But they aren't of quality because you have to sand them if you want them to drop free 😉

Offline Pcherry1973

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2020, 08:31:39 PM »
I got 4 of the magpuls last night and took 'em to the range today with no issues. I also have 4 of the PSAs and the are great as well. They drop free and I did not have to sand them. I now have 4 of the OEM 30 rnd (1 has a +20 ext from CZC), 2 OEM 20s, 2 OEM 10s, 4 PSA and 4 Magpul. I think I'm good, for now.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

Offline motorolanut

• “Character is what you are in the dark.”
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2020, 06:29:07 PM »
But they aren't of quality because you have to sand them if you want them to drop free 😉

Only the early gens.  Drop free or not they DO NOT double feed or fail to feed from.  Unlike other brands..LOL
Virtue has united, death shall not separate

Offline damon323

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2020, 09:13:49 PM »
Tried out a magpul mag. Consistently has about 2-3 failure to fully eject spent case per mag.The next round feeds/chambers but the spent case ends up sideways in the action blocking the bolt from going into battery. I have 2 CZ factory,2 manticore, 2 PSA mags, all work flawlessly. My Scorpion pistol is 1st generation if that makes any difference. Anyone else have problems with magpul mags?

Well I just bought the new CZ Scorpion Magpul Edition that just came out this year and I’m having the SAME EXACT issue. Matter of fact, I had exactly 3 failure to ejects. These are with the Magpul mags cause that’s what my gun came with. I’m thinking the CZ lead tech is right. I thought it was the ejector itself, but he was telling me that the Magpul mags can “typically cause erratic ejection in the issues I am describing”. SOOOO glad to hear that other mags work perfectly. I will try different ones as he suggested. Thank you so much your post.

Offline Chuckinator

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2020, 10:55:54 PM »
Yep, it’s hit or miss with magpul. Especially with gen 1 scorpions. PSA mags are my goto!

Offline damon323

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2020, 12:35:04 AM »
Ok cool, big thank you for the info! New owner to the Scorpion, and always thought anything by Magpul is solid. Guess that’s not the case. You saved me from trying to re-engineer the ejector. Lol!! The CZ tech emailed me back and said pretty much the same thing.

Offline 3guneric

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2020, 01:02:25 AM »
My 2 Cents

Older CZ factories work as well for me! But seemed 2nd rate quality, and had horrible track record.
Manticore's were a big improvement = worked well!  Like the Metal Feed Lips.
Never tried PSA, so I can't say.
My Magpuls all work great, and have "milspec" feel about them.
The newer CZ's look much improved, but have never examined one.

I am now wondering about type of ammo used.  Factory v. reloads, bullet weight/style, powder charge, type of brass....

I just made a huge batch of Scorpion food.  Zero Bullet Company, 147 grain FMJ/Rn, 3.9 Grains of Unique powder, mixed range pick-up brass.  They flew out of those Magpul mags - no problems.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 01:09:46 AM by 3guneric »

Offline Xfrog

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2020, 12:32:30 PM »
First time out with 2 new magpul 30s I had multiple malfunctions if several flavors.  These were the first malfunctions ever in my scorp.  So cant sell them knowing they suck....  looking at psa myself

Offline damon323

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2020, 08:05:05 PM »
First time out with 2 new magpul 30s I had multiple malfunctions if several flavors.  These were the first malfunctions ever in my scorp.  So cant sell them knowing they suck....  looking at psa myself

Did you have failure to ejects when it malfunctioned?